Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we joined the fraternity of fisherman who forgot to put the drainplug in and took off, only to come flying back into Fox Creek.

We put in at Alter Rd (my son and me) got both motors running, 115 Merc and the kicker, and headed out to do some handlining. As we were going down Fox Creek I was busy mounting the reels and digging out shanks and weights while my son was keeping us in the center of the creek. Just before we got out into the DEEP Detroit River I looked back and yelled "Where the he// is all that water coming from?" He spun the boat around and gave it the gas to get back into the creek and the stern just took a squat and water came rushing into the transom. Scary moment. Once back into the creek we had the bilge pump going and I found the drain plug that I (since it's my boat) failed to reinstall when I picked the boat up from storage. Shoved my arm into that nice cool water and jammed the plug home.

Got back to the dock and my son said "At least we won't sink here". Three feet of water.Put the boat back on the trailer and pulled the plug and had the bilge pump going, took more than five minutes to drain. His tackle box had water in the bottom two drawers. My battery box must have taken a lot of water because the pile of towels I keep in there with the battery are in the washing machine right now.

At least everything worked out OK and we got to go fishing. He still hasn't popped his cherry handlining but I'm sure it will happen soon. We always seem to pick the nastiest dirty water days, with winds.

Anybody else got a story to tell?

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Been There, Done That, No Fun !!!

My Dad takes the cake though. On his Bayliner he would forever forget to put the drain plug back in. He kept spares in the truck because he was forever driving off and leaving them sitting on the trailer only to disappear somewhere down the road. He found a 1/2 threaded spiget (sp) and screwed that in the drain plug hole. Now all he does is open or close the faucet when necessary.

Glad everything turned out ok for you.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Not at all funny but everyone does it one time or another. I just finished working a PRO tournament on the Detroit this last week. You wouldn't believe how many straps or plugs were left out. Not just one or 2. I think these guys have so much on their mind along with terrible weather and loss of sleep its hard to remember everything. Skeeter

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
I dont understand why you need your plug pulled out at all because I never have water in my boat unless I get rained on or you leave your boat out side..I have my plug on a chain that is connected to the motor so if I do pull it out I wont miss it hanging there on a chain, I tried to take a picture but it was to dark.. Cya Slick

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have found from experience that when you have livewells sometimes they sweat, or leak a little what ever and you end up with some water in the bottom. With an al boat it doesn't hurt a bit but with fiberglass its a no no to have water left laying down there. Over time it will start rotting stuff and soaking the fiberglass itself. Skeeter

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
I dont know what to say because I have had fiberglass boat that sat in the water all summer long at the local marina here is a picture and I never had a problem and the back of the boat is open to the elements.. I did have a problem one time with the bildge not working on this boat:dizzy: this boat was brand new and there is all kinds of little peices of fiberglass other stuff that went into making this boat collect at the back by the bildge and thAt screwed up once.. When the bidge is working all the water never really gets out of the boat anyways..

I use to pull the plug on my boat I have now which is aluminum but when there never any water coming out so I said the heck with it and I still dont get water in her.. Cya Slick

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brent, some days we go out and don't get any water, other days we get gallons. I think it's the access plate in the well in front of my motor. It's not a screw-in type but a twist-and-lock. It probably doesn't seal as well as it should. I tried to fabricate a gasket for it but that didn't work. Either a real thin bead of caulk that I can pop off quickly or change the access to a different style.

And fishing in Lake St. Clair can get you real wet, real fast. On any weekend the waves come at you from all directions. We always wear raingear unless it's really hot out. You know those rebound waves you get from the seawalls up your way? Try a whole lake full of them down here.

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
That makes sence Mike I have the screw access plate on my StarCraft, I know those rebound waves suck and yes every crazy fool on the lake I am sure send some waves your way:lol: from every direction:yikes:.. Cya Slick

PS..I did not know you had that nice boat Mike, I have seen your avatar so long I guess I figured that is the boat your fishing out of..

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, that avatar picture is in Baie Finne, Canada. Up above Georgian Bay near Manitoulin Island. It was a 16' Naden. Nice boat. Handled some pretty rough water.

My boat is a 2000 Princecraft. 17'8". I bought it because I fit in it and it fits in my garage. Being 6'7", I sat in a lot of boats before I found this one.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
One time we put the boat in and by the time i parked the car and traile water was all over the place. Dented a fender on the trailer pulling the boat out in a big panic.

Happens to the best of us. Or that's what I told myself!;)

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
As long as I've been boating (pretty much all of my 40 years as my father has always owned boats and now I do too) I've forgotten the plug a couple times. Not recently though... I have a routine I go thru at the ramp EVERY time I launch. I don't care if the ramp is backed up with 20 other people waiting to launch... it only takes me 2 minutes tops to go thru my list and get the boat launched... which is much faster than most people I observe launching these days.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
About 3 years ago, I put my little 14 footer in at Belleville, had the kids holding the lines while I backed it in, floated it off the trailer and went up to park the car. Came back to my daughter asking "Daddy, is all that water SUPPOSED to be in the boat?????? :yikes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim

·
Registered
109 Posts
I never take on water either, and never pull my plug. I did go out with a buddy once who without me knowing pulled my plug out because of HIS habits. The next time I launched the boat was ugly. Lession learned though. Glad you were able to recover and get out on the water.

·
Registered
20,132 Posts
waterfoul said:
As long as I've been boating (pretty much all of my 40 years as my father has always owned boats and now I do too) I've forgotten the plug a couple times. Not recently though... I have a routine I go thru at the ramp EVERY time I launch. I don't care if the ramp is backed up with 20 other people waiting to launch... it only takes me 2 minutes tops to go thru my list and get the boat launched... which is much faster than most people I observe launching these days.
I've been guilty once. It was a scary one though. My 12 alum. deepV,, opening day of duck season at 3AM. It rained the night before so my dad pulled the plug on my boat(he did tell me,, I just forgot). Launch my my boat and head out,, I notice some water but just think its from the rain,,,,,,,,until it started POURING over the transom.:yikes: Somehow I make it to shore and actually find the plug in the bottom of my half sunken boat, pop it in and start bailing,,, with a 32 oz. Gatorade bottle:rolleyes: Couple hours later I was ready to roll.:lol: Anyway,, my point to quoting your post was,, your "routine". You woulda been impressed on Sat. at Lake Erie Metro,,, I know I was,,,, with that tourney going on,,,it was a madhouse and everyone was launching fast and flawless. Good to see.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Almost happend to me once but, as I was launching the boat I remembered to put it in. I did see one guy running to get his trailer after launching his boat. I asked him if he forgot to put his plug in, he said no...I put it in the wrong hole.:lol: :lol: :lol: Has that happend to anyone else?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I had a close one yesterday. Sat I lubed/changed oil/changed outdrive oil in my outboard. Sunday my buddy comes over and we hook up the boat. I stop and take the cover off the engine all is good. I checked the drain plugs on the outdrive good. I finger checked the drain plug on the 4 stroke oil and it was finger loose. That would have been a bummer.

Yep I left the plug out a few times also.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Glad you guys are OK Mike, it has happened to everyone I'm sure. Al

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
MiketheElder said:
Brent, some days we go out and don't get any water, other days we get gallons.
Same thing happens to me on the Hooptie, I just thought I had a leak or something. Got a GOOD bilge though:D With INSURANCE and I know how to swim.....

Mushy

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I know that most if not all you guys know this but the one and only time this happened to me was on a friends boat. He told me to put the plug in and I put it in the wrong hole. So this friend tells me to start the boat and he will park the trailer. While he is parking the trailer I see a lot of water coming into the boat and I am tied loosely at the dock. Well I simply untied and went for a quick spin and sucked the water right out! Now I had to do this a few times till my friend got the trailer in position. then it was onto the bunk, let the rest of the water out, there wasn't much, and off we went!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts