Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I cleaned all the dogs kennels. I put all 5 back in their outside kennels, or so I thought, then went in the house for a little break. My wife came in and wanted to know where Gracie ( 7 mo. old) was. I told her rather indignantly she was in her kennel. She informed me she was not in her kennel. I went to the barn walked inside called her name and no Gracie. I thought my 50 + year old brain was finally finished.

For the next three or four panicked hours we searched high and low. I put about 20 miles on the four wheeler checking fields and woods. My wife walked and drove the nearby subs and roads and no Gracie. I was literally sick to my stomach.

I went home got something to drink and told my wife I was going searching again. I walked out in the back yard and blew the whistle and yelled her name. She meekly walked through the kennel door into the outside run.

Well, the only thing I can think of is she is at a puppy stage where new things can make them goofy. I had put a bell on one of the older dogs to get her used to the sound before putting it on her. The bell clanging must have freaked her out and she was hiding in her house. I let her out and she was avoiding the dog with the bell like he had leprosy. The good news is she is now bell conditioned for the other dogs wearing them and I found lots of new deer runs in the area.

It is hell getting old but the alternative isn't very attractive.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Glad everything came to a happy ending!! Nothing more gut wrenching than the unknown.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I had a Boss like that once, I'd turn around and he was gone, should have been right there but he'd just vanish. Welcome to the world of brain worms, they twitch and you forget.:lol: Glad it was only OLDTIMERS!

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oldtimers indeed. I am happy when I find my car keys in less then 10 minutes.

·
Registered
634 Posts
When my dog was about six months old we thought he was lost. My wife had been home with the kids all day and called me in the early afternoon frantic because she couldn't find my dog. I drove the 40 min home from work and proceeded to drive around, walk around, ask around and panic. After several hours I decided to go into the woods looking for him but wanted to change my cloths first. I went into our bedroom (thought it was odd that the door was closed) and there he was, sound asleep on the bed.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Funny story Tim.

Glad it had a happy ending!!!!

Last year on the woodcock opener I got to a pretty remote cover and found that I had a flat tire. I also discovered that during a recent trip someone had yet again stole my spare tire from airport parking. I spent an hour and a half creeping along two tracks to get to a paved rd. and then additional time to someplace with a cell signal. As it was fairly warm I got out and waited for the tow truck to arrive. I opened up the back of my SUV so the dog could get some fresh air as well and went back to waiting.

Several minutes later a car came by and said my hunting dog with an orange collar was about a half mile down the road, and nearly got hit by a truck! I freaked out and started hoofing it towards where they said the dog was. Another car came by and asked me if I was looking for a hunting dog and told me he was just around the bend....a guy from consumers came by and said he saw a dog with an orange collar in the road, and that he would drive back and grab him....I said thanks I would appreciate it! Minutes later he came back with the dog. It was not my dog!!!!:yikes:

I only had one dog with me, and he was patiently sitting in his crate when I got back!!!! We ended up with a bear dog-that is a story for another day.

I never checked the box, I just assumed he must of got out somehow after I opened the back!!!! So Tim don't feel too bad about missing 1 out of 5!!!!:lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts