Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know...there haven't been wolves in the southern Lower Peninsula in 150 years...but look what I just encountered last night.

I had opened my garage completely to let "warmer" air in before planning on going out to butcher I deer I've had hanging. After a few hours, at about 11:30, I glanced outside to see the lights on in my garage, ones which turn on when you cross the sensor. I thought it was weird since the doors had been opened for awhile. I opened the door to my house and there is a massive wolf/coyote/dog beast standing at the threshold of my garage. All black except for a small white spot on his lower chest. I stepped back inside and grabbed my phone. As I stepped around the corner again, I captured a pretty grainy image of him giving one short growl/bark and taking off. The size of the thing gave me the Willys. I've hunted enough to see my fair share of coyotes and even had them come almost up to me in a pack when I was gutting a deer once-but this creeped me out. I put a trail cam out to see if he came back. The time stamp wasn't set right, so I don't know how long after he came back. But, the diagonal support coming down off of my garage is 31" tall at the bottom. I kept telling my wife this thing dwarfed our golden. My dog is a pretty average sized, 80-90lb golden retriever I brought out for a comparison this morning in just about the same spot.

What are your thoughts of what this is? Planning on sending it over to our DNR to see what there thoughts are.
Dog Black Flash photography Black-and-white Style
Flash photography Black-and-white Wood Style Carnivore
Style Black-and-white Flash photography Carnivore Monochrome photography
Flash photography Black-and-white Style Wood Tints and shades

Black Flash photography Black-and-white Wood Tints and shades
Dog Vertebrate Building Wood Shade

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
Why it's mouth is open so much....I've had wolf shepherds , outside of summer heat they wouldn't stress like that in the cold.

Wolves have a lankiness of frame when legs are watched. Tall when standing , low when rushing. But wide chests. Mass on hindquarters. Chest and quarters drive the four wheels. Midsection tries to stay out of the way.

Your critter has puny hind quarters. And if you watch German shepherds you'll note a "slink" to thier posture. Your pictures do not show that stoop/curl /slink unwound in any of them. Granted , no clear standing pics. But that might be a lack of situational awareness too. Not as common in more edgy wilder canines. Except for thiefs caught prior...

More wolf than yote if there were no domestic dogs of varied pedigree about.
Only guessing it's domestic from within a mile away and drawn by scent. Or feral former domestic..

It's around yote breeding season. Wouldn't expect a solo loitering around blood and meat scent for long instead of chasing romance. Or running with litter mates /pack.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Also looks like it might have a collar on in some of the pics. There is a definite crease in the animal's fur lower than you would expect a collar to be, but it is likely covered by the dog's coat.

Reactions: IceHog

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Short rounded ears sure resemble a wolf more so than a German Shepherd.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts