Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had to piss fairly bad a few nights ago, on my stand, and I figured I had the all powerful Google to my aid so I looked it up. According to internet wisdom pissing at a blind won't hurt a thing.. So I let it rain.. And rain it did.

An hour later, at their regularly scheduled time, the doe n fawns came in. 20 yards off from their original path. When the spike that runs with them winded my piss he stopped n kept his nose up for a few minutes.. This would have been a perfect shot.. But he's way to small to shoot.

Over the next 3 days my camera showed no deer activity. Last night I crawled up there and at their regularly scheduled time here came the deer.. This time they detoured 60 yards away from me in a half moon shape. Their detour was a perfect escape from where I sat.. Even though their entrance into the woods was at the same location.

So I'm sitting here thinking how stupid I am for looking up something on the internet while hunting. Damn you ADHD!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
To be honest I've never seen them make a big deal outta human piss. To a deer piss is piss. They can't really tell the difference. I mean unless you've been drinkin somethin funky. I've never had a problem with it. Sometimes they come up and sniff around but aren't ever spooked. The only reason I don't piss out of the stand is because of how much noise it makes. On my way into the stand is usually when I go. But usually I just bring a bottle.

·
Administrator
17,590 Posts
If you peed out of you stand and the deer smelled the urine, I would venture to guess they probably smelled you too.
:yeahthat: Exactly....
Pay better attention to your scent control and you can make it rain daily from your stand without any negative impact.
I have taken many deer (including 2.5 - 3.5 year old bucks) immediately after urinating and following up with a doe bleat.
<----<<<

Reactions: Phoolish

·
Registered
92 Posts
A few years back, my wife asked me what I do if I have to go. I told her that I just let it fly.

Well, word got around to some of the guys she worked with and they all said there wouldn't be any deer at that site anymore. So I showed he the big scrape that a buck made right where I was pissing.

·
Registered
18,945 Posts
To test your theory of your urine causing the stand avoidance would require another site to compare with no other scent involved. If they really are avoiding your urine, use that to your advantage...
Maybe you do have something to set them on edge but I've had deer nearly walk through it before shooting them. My mock scrapes, while not a method used as of late, don't feature store bought urine and bucks watched have not run from them due to scent.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Deer can smell where you walk and what you touch long after you leave. The deer are probably avoiding your scent rather than the urine. I pissed twice out of my blind Thursday and the 10 pt I shot didn't smell me.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I agree with the others. It isn't your piss that is causing the deer to avoid the area. Go setup a new stand downwind of their new skirt route and you're in business.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Don't let it frustrate you. I avoid urinating out of my stand, but if I have to, I do it and don't worry too much. A good point was made that, if you smell it, they smell it. Not all urine is created equal. I have started to wonder if drinking a couple beers the night before really changes the way I smell, I think it does. I swear I can tell the difference in my breath, my underarm odor, and my urine if I have a few micro brews the night before.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I pee in a make-shift scrape all of the time. And in most of the time bucks will frequent it and keep it in use... May be testosterone they may smell, cuz you know, I'm juicing a lot. Lol

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
In all of my permanent stands (5) I have installed a black PVC tube that runs down the tree and into the ground approx. 1.5 feet and leak down that. Before I leave I throw some water down the tube. I dug the hole, and in the bottom, filled it up about half way with "pee;) gravel". In my other stands (climbers, wind falls etc) also while "Still Hunting", I just take a large plastic bottle w/ lid (very important that lid) and use that transporting the waste out of the woods. It may not make a difference as some have suggested, but to me, one last thing to fret about because I have never spoken with a deer on what bothers them, and what doesn't.

The extra work does not bother me, if little details like that bothered me, I wouldn't hunt. For some reason I always think about the ones I never saw because of any short cuts I may take (like camo, noise, movement, scent). None of it is a issue, no big time consuming thing, its just part of the hunting process for me. I just figure, why not, I only have X amount of days and X amount of time in those days. I wait sooo long for this to come every year, Im going all out to do everything "I" can to make it successful.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
This comes up every year - the bottom line is they either don't care or are attracted to piss more than not. All of your other activities have a much bigger impact than the fact you took a leak. I shot a deer once with my junk hanging out damn near mid stream. I had a young buck lick the base of a tree I peed on minutes afterwards. Guys that worry about spooking deer with their piss need to spend more time in the woods and less time worrying about it here.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
This comes up every year - the bottom line is they either don't care or are attracted to piss more than not. All of your other activities have a much bigger impact than the fact you took a leak. I shot a deer once with my junk hanging out damn near mid stream. I had a young buck lick the base of a tree I peed on minutes afterwards. Guys that worry about spooking deer with their piss need to spend more time in the woods and less time worrying about it here.
Im not sure there is anybody here that spends more time in the woods than I during hunting season or outside of it.

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
It may draw the attention of curious deer to your stand. Last thing I want is for deer to start raising their heads and sniffing. It may cause them to detect something else they might not have noticed. Nor do I want curious young deer coming anywhere near my stand. I use a pee bottle religiously. Not beacause I think they are afraid of it, but because it may draw their attention in my direction.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I've regularly had scrapes open up in spots I've taken a leak. Over the last 5 years my buddy has had 3 wallhangers (4 actually, but he didn't mount one of them) come in and check out scrapes he had pissed in shortly before. One thanksgiving a few years back I had a parade of does come through and squat at a spot that I had pissed in just prior to hopping in the stand.

If carrying a piss jug around or building contraptions sets your mind at ease, more power to you. I have more important things to worry about and spent time/effort on.

·
Banned
84 Posts
I've regularly had scrapes open up in spots I've taken a leak. Over the last 5 years my buddy has had 3 wallhangers (4 actually, but he didn't mount one of them) come in and check out scrapes he had pissed in shortly before. One thanksgiving a few years back I had a parade of does come through and squat at a spot that I had pissed in just prior to hopping in the stand.

If carrying a piss jug around or building contraptions sets your mind at ease, more power to you. I have more important things to worry about and spent time/effort on.
You dont have more important things to do! If you did then you wouldnt be on this site arguing about piss:po_O

1 - 20 of 26 Posts