Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has been hollering at me for weeks about getting a good up-to-date map of Ostego Lake! I need one with really good details of depths.
Any websites out there? or great books?
Thanx~Rick

·
Registered
126 Posts
Weezer I have checked the internet for hours on end looking for maps.....no luck. Everyone wants you to pay for them. You might want to call the MUCC or try looking up bright spot maps on the internet. Also Gander Mountain has a few that they carry also.

If anyone knows of any online lake maps I hope they can let all of us know.

Dumroese

·
Registered
127 Posts
You might try the local chamber of commerce, I know that some years back you could get a map of Houghton Lake from the chamber there. It had depths, weed beds, public access and water access restuarants/pubs. I've got to think that if you called Gaylord Chamber of Commerce they could point you in the right direction.
Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Lance (edited 05-02-2000).]

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
In most cases the originators of the maps want to get paid for their effort thus the maps are copyrighted and you must pay to see them on paper or on the internet. I would like to make some maps available here, but have been unable to find pricing information on what it would cost to republish them.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have two books with Otsego maps in them. One is worthless. The other is the Tom Huggler "Fish MIchigan" series. I understand there is an updated version of this book available, but I haven't seen it yet.

Not alot to this lake though. Basically 10 feet in most spots, with some 20 foot spots around Arbutus beach.

I never figured out this lake very well. It becomes incredibly weedy. Alot of those weeds must rot on the bottom every year. I used to water ski there quite a bit in the most SW cove. You get doused with nasty smelling marl every time if you dont get up and out of the wake immediately.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the Tom Huggler book "100 Southern Michigan Lakes" It was very worth the 17 bucks I spent. Usually most single maps range up to 10 bucks.

Steve Have you ever thought of doing what the Michigan interactive site does You may want to contact them for some info on how the have some lake maps online...not the greatest but what do ya do.

Dumroese

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
Weezer,
I have a map of the lake. Do you have access to a fax?
Shhh, thats now my favorite walleye lake in the state. I stopped going to Canada and started fishing there instead. It helps I grew about about 18 miles from there.
They do not run real big but they are good eaters. The DNR really plant the lake. I used to catch big Tiger Muskies out of there.

email me and I will tell you where to fish and what baits I use during the season.
It becomes a real weedy lake during the summer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts