Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I hate to admit this, but I need help, and badly! Heres my sad story... I have twin sons, 8 years old. They idolize me and I them. Last year, we decided to buy a small boat so we could enjoy some fishing together. I have fished all my life, but mostly once or twice a year up in Canada, where if you drop a bare hook over the boat, a fish will swallow it. I never knew how spoiled I was.
Anyway, last year, we took the boat out several times. I had the boys psyched with stories of my reeling in perch, bass, northerns as a kid, and how I was about to pass on this fish-slaying legacy to them. We fished Lake Erie out of Luna Pier (close to shore as our boat is only a 14 footer with a small outboard) and River raisin. We fished and fished and fished, and basicly caught nothing!
OK, this year, we dicided, was going to be different. We loaded up in my pickup and went to Cabela's and droped a couple hundred dollars on new lures and equipment. I bought the boys their own tackle boxes and we stocked them well. I took a week off following Easter, and we even though it was cold, we took the first trips of the season. We drift fished the Huron River from Flatrock for about three miles one day..... Nothing. We threw crank baits, wet flies, and waxworms..... Nothing.
The next day, we trolled the Raisin River west of Dundee.....Nothing. My one son says to me: Dad, we need to think of a name for our boat because all the best boats have names. Sounded like a pretty good idea to me, so I asked for some suggestions. My other son says: "Why dont we just name it the Looser, since we never catch fish!"
Feeling the testosterone levels dropping from my body, I decided what "The Looser" (the boat, not me) needed was a fish-finder. Surely, this would solve all our problems! So, off we go to Cabelas to make another couple hundred dollar contribution to the store. We came home with a sweet entry level humminbird finder that I promptly mounted on The Looser.
Yesterday, off we went to Belville Lake where I knew we just couldnt miss. We launched and set off to patrole the lake looking for fish. 4 hours later, we returned to the boatramp with not a single fish. I hardly even maked any fish on the fish finder, with the exception of the deeper water under a couple of bridges.
I am in need of a "cant miss fishing day". All kidding aside, I am afraid unless I produce some fish for my boys to reel in, they are going to loose interest, and to be honest, being with them on the water has been one of the best experiences of my life. I dont want to loose their interest. Can anyone help with a honey hole where we can catch something, even little bluegill would be fine. I just want them to be successful at this.
For the record, we have thrown lots of spinners and crankbaits. We have used crawler harnesses, and this year for the first time, have begun trying jig heads tipped with waxworms. We have never fished with minnows.
I will be grateful for anyone who can help me break this streak of hard luck. If youre a dad, I know you will understand.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
If you can wait a few weeks, and can come to the North Oakland County area, I will take a rare day off from my store, and will be happy to guide you and your boys on an outing.....no charge.

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Yeah... give it a couple weeks... let the gills get active in the shallows... let the smallies on the River Raisin get active... Pike and walleye opens in a few weeks... and they will be hungry!! Don't give up... but give it a couple weeks to give it some serious effort.

Then take Ken up on his offer!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ninja said:
If you can wait a few weeks, and can come to the North Oakland County area, I will take a rare day off from my store, and will be happy to guide you and your boys on an outing.....no charge.
What a wonderful opperunity this would be for us! Yes, I can come to you, and would love nothing more than to learn a little something about what we are doing. I took a job with the public school system this year, so am looking very forward to my first ever summer off. We are planning on spending a lot of time on inland lakes (Lenewee, Hillsdale, Washtenaw counties...). I so badly want my boys to experience the thrill of fishing that I know from my childhood. I feel like I am letting them down. Any and all help will be very much appreciated. We are a definite "YES" on your offer!!!
Grateful,
Mitch

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
sence you said lenawee i would try hudson lake over by haudson off m156 its a no wake lake so you don't have to worry about jet skis once you launch hang left go over in the first cove to left with some minnows youll chatch a lot of crappie there just on the small side

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Miruss, Lake Hudson is one that is on our list for when it gets a little warmer. I have been there but not fished it yet. Do you use minnows on a small jig (hooked through the nose) for crappies? And as they say..."size doesnt matter"! we just want some tight lines!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ninja said:
I don't care what EEEVERYBODY says about you Ken, you're alright.:)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
if you're gonna troll or cast cranks and spinners..wamplers, vineyard sand...out near jackson might b better choices..belleville would b tough for a novice with lure presentations,,even flatrock much beyond the footbridge can be hard on novices..pros like gunrod or ypsi fly or bolodunn do well there, but they are quite accomplished..even erie(SHALLOW) would be dependant on 'time' of year, water temps etc. Oakland county lakes like(wolverine, Big, tipsico) when season opens might offer greater chances for smaller boaters , lacking experience..shallower with many panfish,plus the opprotunity at the gamefish(sm.,large mouth bass, pike, walleye)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Another stand up offer from a M-S'er. Nice offer Ken. By the way nice meeting you at the store a couple of weeks ago. My son was ver impressed with how you took the time and talked to him. Thanks again and nice offer!!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
midwstboy said:
What a wonderful opperunity this would be for us! Yes, I can come to you, and would love nothing more than to learn a little something about what we are doing. I took a job with the public school system this year, so am looking very forward to my first ever summer off. We are planning on spending a lot of time on inland lakes (Lenewee, Hillsdale, Washtenaw counties...). I so badly want my boys to experience the thrill of fishing that I know from my childhood. I feel like I am letting them down. Any and all help will be very much appreciated. We are a definite "YES" on your offer!!!
Grateful,
Mitch
Shoot me a PM around the first of May.....we'll get it set up.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
BigDaddy said:
Another stand up offer from a M-S'er. Nice offer Ken. By the way nice meeting you at the store a couple of weeks ago. My son was ver impressed with how you took the time and talked to him. Thanks again and nice offer!!
Keeping the kids involved is what it's all about!!! :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
The fish will show up, don't worry. In the mean time, it's gonna mean the world to your kids that your out there with them, fish or not.

·
Registered
289 Posts
In front of Luna Pier? No Fish?

I have tpyicall done okay trolling stickbaits in front ( and I mean in front) of Luna Pier, Toledo Beach, Bolles Harbor during most of the year. IMO, SLOW WAY DOWN when trolling, just fast enough to keep the bait moving.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the first time I used this website. I am impressed with the way everyone is so helpful. I amgrateful.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
midwstboy said:
What is it that makes some lakes better for "beginners" and others not? Just curious.
quantity of fish..access to fish holding spots..confined fish holding areas..obvious structure..water clarity(or lack there of) amount of food(baitfish,insects,etc) average water depth..to name a few.............obviously, the better you know a body of water,the better your chances for success.Some lakes lack the little nuances that only pros, locals or very savvy fisherman know or learn, thus, leveling the playing field. Take fletchers pond(alpena/montmorency co.s), no one ever comes away skunked here..roughly 8500 acres of stumps, drowned timber, logs and weeds, weeds, weeds! besides the old river channel(mostly filled in these days, less distinct than in 50's and 60's) its all shallow (ave depth 7 ft), a crawler on a hook, virtually anywhere on the lake and u could just as easily get a 6lb largemouth or 8 lb pike as u could a 6 inch gill ,perch or sunnie or 8 inch bulhead.......belleville, ford, holloway, mott etc that are floodings and mostly suspend clay particles or sand-laden,lacking deep water weed growth(mostly barren bottoms)fish will be either free roaming(obvious problem to locate) or holding real tight to what little structure they can find(you better know these spots or your fishing in vacant water)

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
If you want to catch fish and lots of them and you dont care what they are take your boys to willow metro park. You cant take your boat there but your boys will have a great time. Fish with tiny jigs and waxworms under a small bobber right off the big dock in the pond and you cant miss. My buddy and i have taken a few trips this year and a week ago we brought home 13 gills over 8 inches. If you decide to go and want some company i would be more than willing to meet you down there and catch the snot out of the gills with you. There are alot of bass in there also and small crankbaits can be dynamite in there!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
First off it is still early in the season so don't get discouraged. You aren't the only one to get skunked on belleville lake or the raisin...at some point in time...My suggestion is four mile lake ne of chelsea...90 minute drive and if the pike are hungry your boys will eat it up..most are small but great action...wait until mid to end of may jmo

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
maybe try a charter out in erie. when booking it, tell them you are interested in learning the techniques... most will have no problem showing you the ropes, etc. Or visit the boards, many times there will be people with an open seat at various times during the summer... i'm sure anyone wouldn't have a problem with showing your their setup/techniques. If I had a boat right now I'd take ya out and your little boys too, but i'm not in that situation right now.

two of the main things with walleye in erie is speed and depth. when the bite is on its hard to go wrong with lure selection as long as you are using proven designs (be it spoons, harnesses, hot n tots, reef runners, or casting erie deeries). For spoons and body baits you can run faster than with harnesses. Sometimes its amazing just what changing speed can do for ya. For depths (though its pretty simple with harnesses and bottom bouncers, with spoon setups or body baits, the "trolling bible" as its referred to (truly called precision trolling http://www.precisionangling.com/) can help immensely because it tells you how far back baits need to be to reach certain depths.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts