Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to spend lots of money but I need some info on what to look for. Is black flash important? hoping to spend around 120 bucks. Pros and cons of each brand would be appreciated.
thanks in advance
Micky May I

·
proud to be a.......
8,945 Posts
Tons of info here......http://www.trailcampro.com/

Personally, I prefer Don's homebrews but, I do have a Moultrie 990i and the new Browning's get good reviews for best bang for the buck.

Reactions: Micky May I

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I've been running 2 different ones this year. Browning range ops 8mp and a Cabelas outfitters 12mp. Both are in the $100-$120 depending on where you buy and if on sale. Between the two, I'd give away both browning cams for more Cabelas cams. In my personal experience, the Browning cam is inferior regarding picture quality: day time, night time, dusk, bright sun, and any other condition we've had. Add in they offer a 1 year warranty, great option.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I typically spend about the same money. In fact just bought another trail cam last night. Each brand has it perks but I think wildgame innovations is over all the best product for a lower price.
I have tried 5 different brands. From moultrie,wildgame, browning, stealth cam and cabelas
-Moltries tend to have the best quality pic in the $100 range.
have had 4 Moultries now. Only 1 of them had a problem but that was after I had it for 4 years.
Only problem i have with them is a lot of blanks. I mean more than double of others. Maybe it's sensitivity which can be a good thing but tired of scrolling through 4 times more blanks than actual pics. Good product but prefer the wildgames. The i880 is the best moultrie at the price
-wildgame Innovations have been both reliable and a lot less blanks than the others. Also I have noticed a lot less deer looking at the cam when it takes pics.
The new cloak7 lightsout has 7mp camera and video. It does not have plot watcher but only 2 of mine are over plots so works well for any other location. It has good quality and very few blanks. The best part of this camera is the low lumination IRcamera for night time pics. I have noticed a lot less deer staring at the cam while cam takes the pics. You wouldn't believe the amount of moultrie pics I have of deer looking right into the cam as if the see or hear the flash. It always bothered me and noticed a big improvement with this camera. I bought a second one last night. I am going to place it in a place the usually holds bucks. I've been hesitant to put one there but with the results of the first one I bought earlier this year I got another.
They are only $90 and for the money they are the perfect cam if u don't need plot watcher

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Not sure how good this one is but you might check one out at Bass Pro has the 2014 Moultrie M-880i for 89.99 which is a great price especially when they go for 149.99 usually. It has Black Flash and you still get a 1 year warranty and free shipping might be worth a try. Don't own this one but I would not go with a Browning their Night Time Video is too limited to 10 Seconds and that is just too short if it was longer 30 Seconds it might be worth buying but 10 seconds plus the recovery time and the delay time and it just makes it not a good game camera I use all mine for Video you see a lot more activity between deer and other wildlife than just a Picture as for Homebrews they don't make a good Black Flash and if they did it would be a lot more $. I have a few home brews but have switched to black flash for getting good bucks seems red ir and white flash push them away and they avoid these game cameras with those type flashes...

Good Luck,
Newaygo1j

·
Registered
753 Posts
Ive owned many and I would back my Browning Strike Force against any of the. Trail Cam Pro gives you a 2 year warranty with a sd card. Great nighttime pics..

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I've been doing cams for quite a while. My useless two cents.

If all you want is pics only just to see what is there...most any mid-level cam with a good warranty will do.

If you do video, then look at the 1080HD cams with a good warranty.

I have four Moultrie 990i's in different versions plus 4 or 5 Sony P-41 homers I made. The Moultries have good warranties. I've sent two back and got new ones within 8-10 days. I rarely use pic mode anymore as the vids give you more info on the subject. For deer, you can see which way the deer enters and leaves, certain characteristics, hear vocalizations, see neat things you will not get from pics. For bear you can judge sizes easier. If you have trespassers, vandals or thieves you can give the cops some great evidence. I may look at the 1100i next as it is a 12mp and does 1080HD in day and night vids.

Day vids

Night vids

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Tons of info here......http://www.trailcampro.com/

Personally, I prefer Don's homebrews but, I do have a Moultrie 990i and the new Browning's get good reviews for best bang for the buck.

I bought the new browning hd blackout and not very happy with the night time pics. Also have had issues with it taking pics during daylight in b&w. I haven't been happy with it but I also have the browning IR and very pleased with that great pics. Both have fast shutter speed.
Best cam I ever had is a moultrie with the flash best quality pics I've ever seen but I was always worried the flash would scare the deer so don't use it much

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wild game innovation cheap and easy

I opted for the Browning strike force. thanks cedarlkDJ for telling me about trailcampro.com. there reviews and testing of LOTS of different kinds of cameras helped me make a decision. anybody looking at cameras I would strongly suggest going to their website.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts