Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to come up with a good venison recipe for the bbq grill. This is what I tried today:

1) I marinated the backstraps and tenderloin in Italian dressing for 24 hours.

2) I cut the meat into 4" long pieces and they were fairly thick (back strap was about 1 1/2" thick.

3) I wrapped the meat in bacon

4) I seared the meat on high for 3 min on each side.

5) 1/2 of the meat I wrapped in tin foil and let stand for ten minutes

6) The other 1/2 I cooked for 15 to 20 min on the grill on low/med (300 degrees) I left the bacon on the meat for this

I found that the thicker meat in the tin foil was rare. The thicker meat on the grill was med/rare.

The meat had good flavor but was very tough. What am I doing wrong? I followed the directions on some threads I read but I could not cut the meat with a fork. Does anyone have a suggestions to cooking the backstraps and tenderloin on the grill and leaving it with good flavor and moist?

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
try lowering your temp down too two degrees and cooking for 2 hrs. keep your tenderlions whole, cut your backstraps in half, marinate and wrap with bacon. when the bacon turns very brown, your meat will be done.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
i usually butterfly my backstaps out.... makes for a bigger footprint steak. marinate if you want, then add desired seasoning... olive oil in the pan and HIGH HEAT! takes a very short time to cook, don't overcook it, and it should be nice and tender.

next one i'm going to try whole.... i'm going to vacuum marinate in italian salad dressing, then put a little rub crust on it. i'm still thinking it might be better with high heat, but i don't know how that will go with the bacon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts