Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,322 Posts
I have one and so far I am very pleased. Field points pull out very easy and it's easy to move around to different shooting distances and scenarios. They say you can shoot broadheads into it but I think that they would make short work of it. Just my $02.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I also have the block its the best target I've ever had like deep woods was saying its portable you can move it anywhere without a stand. The arrows will not go thru unless you shoot it up with broadheads like I've done. But then again everyone should practice with broadheads from there field points I dont care what broadhead you have they do not fly the same and that will leed you to more kills and less wounds or misses of a deer. Know the downfall is the price I spent $75 dollars on mine depending on what size you want it could cost more or less I went with 2nd size up from the smallest but have seen some huge ones that cost a pretty penny. With shooting them with broadheads I would suggest get a cheaper target for that so it would last longer. I could see them lasting for a few years if you keep them broadheads out of them.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I know that they are pricey, but I think that they'd be worth it if they held up.

We've gone through the Mckienzie targets relativly quick. ( the deer ones ).....but I was shooting broadheads at it sometimes too, And we had about 4 differnt people using it.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
yes I have 5 people on mine I share it and we all shot broadheads thru it it looks like it will last another year maybe 2. I think I will end up getting another for field point and save this one before hunting season opens for broadhead shots. They are great targets.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I like my block, but if you want a more permanent type target, I'm on my 7th season with a Morrel's outdoor range target. Literally, because of all the national tournaments I attended in 98-2002, the target probably has most likely taken roughly 30,000 shots, and I just switched it to the opposite side last year, with 16 aiming dots in opposite location of the 12 on the first side I shot for the first 6 seasons.

I sunk 2 treated 4x4's in the ground, put a pitched roof over the top of the bail, and set the target on 2x4's about 2' off the ground. I use my block for my trips out of state, practice on vacation, and to check broadhead flight. Also, sometimes I've shot my bow in a hotel, from the hallway into the room just to verify a maintanance activity didn't effect the point of impact.....beats using the side of the mattress(not that I've even done that);)

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Originally posted by NorthJeff
.....beats using the side of the mattress(not that I've even done that);)
Yea - I bet !!!

Too funny - just to damn funny -

ferg....
:eek:

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Please don't in anyway think I condone shooting into a perfectly good hotel mattress....I've just have seen others partake of this activity and know that it occassionally has happened.:)

·
Registered
503 Posts
I make my own targets out of old grain bags and stuff it with plastic wrappers. Something along the consistency of a bread wrapper.

The bag stuffed full of plastic is about the same size as the mid-section of a deer. I have shot the same target for 3 years and it will probably last for another 3.

Total cost $.89

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Ok, I admit that I'm a cheapskate. Sounds like redwing and I might be in the same camp since I also make my own targets. Whenever someone has an old couch on the curb for garbage pickup, I grab the cushions. Stuff four or five into a cardboard box, duct tape the thing closed and you have a decent target. Works great for field points or broadheads, especially the practice broadheads Muzzy provides. Sure, the targets only last a season, but so what, they're free.

Good luck,
John E.
Ypsi

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the black hole and i like it a lot. It is bigger and cheapre than the block. Shooting broadheads in these targets works but it tears the crap outta them. I would guess it will last 10 times as long if you don't use bh.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I have the Black Hole...similiar to the Block. Works perfectly for field points and broadheads. Mine isn't really big, but it's plenty big enough and easy to transport. Arrow removal is fast and easy. I paid $40 for mine on sale and so far I think it was money well spent.
I know guys that do the bread bag thing mentioned and it seems to work well. I stay away from cardboard though......not good for your arrows. It takes the paint off of aluminum arrows and can weaken some carbons due to the sandpaper like friction.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Gotta go with "the block" It takes broadheads as well as it takes field tips. Takes shot after shot and still holds up. It's worth the price.

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,145 Posts
I have an excelcior archery bale (approx 4' x 4'). New, never shot at. Stored indoors.

Open to offers if anyone is interested.
You pick up in Auburn Hills.

:eek:

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I picked up a McKenzie Carbon Block this winter. I had to choose between this and the block. I have heard a lot of good things about the block, but I went with the Carbon Block instead. I chose this one for a few reasons. First of all, it is very similar in design to the block with the open layer foam. A few things I liked better about this target is that you can shoot all four sides of this target, not just two. Also, you can adjust the pressure on the foam layers, so you start out with it being on the loose setting, this causes less damage to the target on each shot but still effectivly stops the arrows. Once it starts to get worn out you can tighten it up to the next setting so that it will continue to stop your arrows. Another thing I like about it is that after it is worn out, you can take it apart and move the foam layers around, taking those from the top and bottom which have been shot less and moving them to the middle, etc. I have not tried this yet, but it seems to me that it will lengthen the life of the target. The arrows seem to pull out a little harder than the block, but I am pretty happy with it so far, it is in the same price range as the block and worth checking out.

10,812 Posts
Originally posted by redwinger00
I make my own targets out of old grain bags and stuff it with plastic wrappers. Something along the consistency of a bread wrapper.
I have a similar target. I stuffed a burlap bag with and old sleeping bag's insulation and rags. I've had that target for 10-years. About every other year I added another burlap bag over the exterior. This target will stop any arrow and you can pull them with two fingers. I normally only use target tips or field points on this target, but I've shot broadheads into it in a pinch, which tears up the burlap, but who cares since a bag only costs 50 cents. I take this target with me when I travel. I also use 3-D targets a lot in my back yard range.

·
Registered
26,627 Posts
I have a block that I use for broadheads, a bag target for the bulk of my shooting (from mid-Marchl to December 31) and some 3-d's to play with. I also buy some odds and ends of 3-D targets from the ranges to shoot my broadheads into.

I like a bag target because of the easy removal a duribility. I bought a good one for 60 bucks and have had it for 7 years. I haave replaced the cover but it keeps on working. I don't leave it in the rain or elements as with all my targets.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I must be crazy. I bought the Black hole last summer and have blown he center entirely out it already. Granted it was only $50 bucks, but seems like it should have lasted longer than that. Makes me leery of all the layered ones.

Anything will work for field points and I've made some myself that worked fine, but I like to shoot a lot of broadheads to really get the feel and bags and homemade ones don't cut it there.

I think I'll be looking into that Morrel cube that Buktruk was talking about.

·
Registered
618 Posts
i just don't like the size off those target's.they are to low to the ground.i have a plan to make a bigger one.2 treaded rod's 2 pcs of plywood and some nut's.you can buy the some foam for next to nothing.using the rod's and the ply wood like a clamp put the foam\cardboard between a just tighten down.i seen this done on 2 hay bails.it stoped my Parker at close range and nothing did that before.the cool thing is you can make it any size. that's the way they make them targets.they just put steel bands on the ply wood and remove the rod's

1 - 19 of 19 Posts