Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I miss trade shows....seeing the outfitters....buying raffle tickets....seeing the people that you only see at the trade shows.....getting the pizza sticks at Nowicki's booth....seeing what's new
The Ultimate Show in Novi, has that been cancelled?....who's attending? exhibiting?

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
The Ultimate Fishing Show has not been canceled ....yet, expect that though :-(
A friend of mine has had to switch careers over the loss of the trade shows, it sucks in so many ways.

·
Premium Member
3,893 Posts
While I do like trade shows, I feel many have gone downhill over time. The Ultimate Fishing Show used to have the various tackle manufacturers showing off their latest and greatest technology. It was like the NAIAS of fishing gear up until 20 years ago. Now there really isn't anything unique and exciting any longer. They have largely turned into over glorified garage sales. I partly blame our disposable Walmart culture that has taken hold.

·
Premium Member
6,305 Posts
Every single time I've gone to the shows I swear I won't be back, due to crowds, lack of decent sales, admission and parking etc.

And every single year I end up going back. I should probably just stop bitching about it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
My buddy and I attend the fishing show every January. Yea, we pay to park, pay to attend the show, look at boats we'll never buy, collect brochures for trips we'll never take, sign up for raffles we'll never win, re subscribe to Michigan Outdoor News and get another free hat I'll never wear, get a free bass lure covered in anise oil which makes everything in the bag smell, drink an overpriced crappy beer, buy some jerky, buy some more tackle from Frank's, look at the Christ Craft Challenger outboard I could take apart in my sleep at the old tackle display, etc. It's something to do in January so why not. It is what it is. We'll skip this year for Covid but be back going next year.

·
Registered
13,501 Posts
My buddy and I attend the fishing show every January. Yea, we pay to park, pay to attend the show, look at boats we'll never buy, collect brochures for trips we'll never take, sign up for raffles we'll never win, re subscribe to Michigan Outdoor News and get another free hat I'll never wear, get a free bass lure covered in anise oil which makes everything in the bag smell, drink an overpriced crappy beer, buy some jerky, buy some more tackle from Frank's, look at the Christ Craft Challenger outboard I could take apart in my sleep at the old tackle display, etc. It's something to do in January so why not. It is what it is. We'll skip this year for Covid but be back going next year.
A friend of mine told me she got all woozy the other day, and had to sit down before she passed out. I told her that I used to pay good money to feel that way. 😄

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
While I do like trade shows, I feel many have gone downhill over time. The Ultimate Fishing Show used to have the various tackle manufacturers showing off their latest and greatest technology. It was like the NAIAS of fishing gear up until 20 years ago. Now there really isn't anything unique and exciting any longer. They have largely turned into over glorified garage sales. I partly blame our disposable Walmart culture that has taken hold.
Blame the internet and the ICAST show. If you wanted to see what was new each year before it hit your local stores, you could page through the Bass Pro catalog or go to sports shows. Now everything is pushed on many different online platforms with pro staff videos before it’s even on sale. Dealer reps are “leaking” info months before the unveiling’s just to get everyone salivating before we even know what the new products are. And then there’s ICAST that has turned into something huge that sucks up most of the industry dollars for showing off new tackle and equipment. Make a big splash there and there’s not any money left for MinnKota or Rapala or anyone else to send their people to all the local shows.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,201 Posts
I gave up on em. I have pretty much all I need, just some terminal tackle every now & then or a hot new lure line comes out that grabs me. I usually see those here and buy where I can.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Except nobody at a garage sale walks as slow as the trade show shoppers.

·
Premium Member
14,857 Posts
Those shows will be dieing out. Need hunting, fishing, camping gear.....everyone goes to Cabelas or Bass pro. Everything you need under one roof. No parking fees, no entry fees. Less crowded. Dont like either of those? How about on line? Amazon, etc. you can see it and spec it out on line before any sportsman shows. Kind of the same thing that’s happening to many shopping malls.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I miss the Midwest Fly fishing show in Macomb, kind of a rite of spring for us. A chance to catch up with friends around the state. Can usually find a few deals to make it worth the trip. Love to watch and listen to Jerry Regan tie flies.Haven't heard yet, but sure it's canceled again this year. Always held in March.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts