Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad news for me. I had a fire on Mon. morning and fell down a flight of stairs. I couldn't see in the smoke and my air supply was about gone. I got disoriented and thought I had floor to step on but it was the basement stairs. Took a step and there was no floor. Not a good feeling! Tumbled forward and the weight of my air-pac turned me heals over head and I landed on the bottom stairs face up. I broke the stairs with my air-pac and my butt hit the ground. At impact I felt a shooting pain down both legs that scared the stuff out of me.
I was taken to the hospital and they said I have a compressed disc and fractured vertebrae.
Terrible pain right now!!!
And just 2 months till I retire. Now I may have to go out on a disability and I KNOW the city I work for is going to fight me on this.:mad:
Great way to go after 25 years of service!!!
All in all........This sucks!!!
Sly:(

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
WOW that is just totaly terrible to hear you suffered such a tradgedy.I hope that you heal up and recover from this wouldnt want to see ya go out like this.Best of Luck Aaron

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Bad news for me. I had a fire on Mon. morning and fell down a flight of stairs. I couldn't see in the smoke and my air supply was about gone. I got disoriented and thought I had floor to step on but it was the basement stairs. Took a step and there was no floor. Not a good feeling! Tumbled forward and the weight of my air-pac turned me heals over head and I landed on the bottom stairs face up. I broke the stairs with my air-pac and my butt hit the ground. At impact I felt a shooting pain down both legs that scared the stuff out of me.
I was taken to the hospital and they said I have a compressed disc and fractured vertebrae.
Terrible pain right now!!!
And just 2 months till I retire. Now I may have to go out on a disability and I KNOW the city I work for is going to fight me on this.:mad:
Great way to go after 25 years of service!!!
All in all........This sucks!!!
Sly:(

That's garbage............hurt in the line of duty and the City should do that.:nono: Over the last 25 yrs how many lives and homes were saved. What a shame. Glad you're still with us and take care.

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
Sorry to hear that Mark. I know how painful that is. I was in a hydroplane accident years ago and crushed the vertebrates in my lower back. The good news is it healed up fine and has not left me restricted in my movement. I had no feeling in my legs at first even though I had a broken knee. Definitely not a good feeling. I wish you the best in your recovery. BTW, Im still looking for the swimsuit banner! :p

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Sorrry to hear about your accident, hope you make it back 150%. Good luck with the city, things always seem to work themselves out.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Have enjoyed reading some of your .02, so hopefully everything works out for you.

Was this your first major accident? In your line of work it has to be common?

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
What a drag. At least your still here. Hope you heel up quick, and your work doesn't screew ya. good luck, hang in there.

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Sorry to hear that Mark. Here's to a speedy recovery! It will all work out, just take care of yourself for now.

Harry

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Mark,
So sorry to hear of your accident!!! That really stinks after that many years of service & 2 monthes left till retirement. Keep your chin up,the good thing is,,,,, it could have been ALOT worse!!! Glad your still here!!!! And while you are recovering, I will swab the decks & clean the fish for ya :) Get well soon!!!!!!!

Lisa

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Oh my goodness ! We are sooo sorry to hear about your injuries Mark. Geez, please keep us M-S ers' posted on your recovery, and if you need anything as you recover, just a quick post or pm WILL produce results ;)

Best regards to you and THANK YOU for all your years of dedication to saving others !!!!
Laura

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Hopefully the pills have kicked in by now and your feeling better. Dont you think thats going a little too far to not have to ice fish with Joe??? usually we let him drill the holes then we move in and strike up a conversation :lol: Ha his ears were burning he just phoned to defend himself:lol::lol::lol: Dont believe a word he says, Take Care, get well soon. Mike

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Wow, am sorry to hear about your injuries. Keep your chin up, work hard and you can pull through this. I had back surgury 6 years ago and backbacked Wyoming this past Aug.

·
Banned
989 Posts
This is one of the best Workers Comp attorneys on the East Side of the State. They will be willing to give you a free consultation and will at least give you some idea as to your rights.

Good luck. Here's that attorney:

Richard L. Warsh - P27813
29566 Northwestern Hwy Ste 120
Southfield, MI 48034

Phone: (248) 357-7013
Fax: (248) 357-2997

·
Registered
793 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Mark, and yea would figure they would try to screw you out of paying.

Brian

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hang in there Mark, I am recovering from ADR as we speak, (Artificial Disc Replacement)... It's only been 2 weeks ago and I'm about 80% allready. Just a bit of advice, find GOOD DOCTORS, and be comfortable with them. It makes a big difference. If you need recomendations PM me. No problem man.

My dad retired two years ago from the department, a big reason due to city B.S.. He said screw it, and gave a chance for the younger guys to get promoted before the city had negoitiations to eleminate that position. Don't worry about that crap now thought. Get better and then go for the throat.:evilsmile:yikes::lol:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts