Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....when a plan comes together. Have permission on this bit of flooded timber that holds a boat load of wood ducks. Last week I had the bright idea of sneaking into position and having the land owner(yeah he doesn't shoot but finds it fun to help out) jump the birds in my direction. Worked like a charm except I wasn't in position yet. A few days later we tried again and I was able to knock down this beautiful brace.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
nice job - love it when a plan comes together.

a plan that didn't work so good for me one time was when I spotted a green collar using a pasture pond . Just happened to be a farm I used to work at as a young lad, so permission was super easy. there was zero cover for about a hundred yds around this hole, but there was a narrow, shallow creek that I was able to do my best navy seal /commando sneak through to get set up.

had the farmer roust them out at a predetermined time, played the wind and.... didn't play the sun! by the time they made it to me, they were between me and the sun and I couldn't pick him out of the 30 or so that lifted off.

thought about just cutting, but I then i figured maybe I could get him the next day by setting up on the pond and waiting for him to show up

well, he never came back.

to add insult to injury, My dad would report back to me every once in a while throughout the season about "boy. your collar was along the bay again today..." :rant:

(shoulda just started cutting!) :cwm27:

~~~~~

can I make a suggestion on your dead mount? think of a theme. I've seen a number of these and the best ones seemingly have a theme behind them and typically in threes; two drakes and a hen or all drake puddlers (greener,black, pin), three teal drakes, "other" midsize puddlers (Gad,wigeon,woody), drake divers (bull can, redhead, bbill), sea ducks...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts