Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up the mount of the buck I harvested on 10/11/14 from Fitch's taxidermy.
I'm very happy with his work! I hope that I'm lucky enough to take him another one next year!

Ahh sorry about the rotation of the picture not sure how to change it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Very nice buck, congrats! And I've found that if you take the pic with your phone vertically and then upload it that it flips like that. Hold your phone horizontally to avoid that

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
great buck, very wide. Usually takes a year to get my mounts back, good turnover time. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
As said before.... that is one quick turn around time. I usually don't get my mount back till at least a year. That is a real nice looking mount!!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I wish I had gotten him aged but it was quite warm. The two I got that morning went straight to the processor and he went right to the taxi right after that. My best guess is he is 2 1/2. I'm going to make a jaw bone extractor and take them to the dnr so I can keep a record of all the deer we harvest in the future.

·
Banned
10,812 Posts
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I wish I had gotten him aged but it was quite warm. The two I got that morning went straight to the processor and he went right to the taxi right after that. My best guess is he is 2 1/2. I'm going to make a jaw bone extractor and take them to the dnr so I can keep a record of all the deer we harvest in the future.
Nice buck.

I keep most of my jaws. I have a pile of them at my cabin and they are labeled with year and age. I skin out the heads on all my bucks so I can use the cape for a mount. Once the head is skinned, it's a simple process to remove the jaw and I don't use any special tools. I just cut the lower jaw loose, grab the lower and upper jaws and pull them apart, then cut off any remaining meat and connective tissue until separated. I remove any big chunks of meat and then I hang it outside on the wall of my cabin wiring it to a screw pretty high up. The birds, weather and sun clean it up and by the next fall, it is fairly clean and white. I then label it and have a rack to hang them on inside. I'm getting quite the collection.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments again guys!

Thanks for rotating the picture for me Cedarlk.

Sniper he's probably not as wide as you might think, he is 17 3/4" inside. Jackson co.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts