Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 week old lab pup and I am wondering if anyone has suggestions as to what food is best for her? Are the expensive brands like blue or diamond etc. worth the money? And should i stick with the same brand as an adult? Any info. Is much appreciated thank you all.

·
Banned
3,032 Posts
Do a search we covered this in the spring. But I fed Bo diamond puppy its what we fed our beagles. Since the beginning while we were at work he's been outside with my male beagle eating adult diamond. I have a little left of the diamond puppy he's working his way through but its 50-50 puppy n adult. He's looked healthy the hole time. He's only been fed both cause I didn't want to hurt my adult beagle. I won't pay for 40 dollar a 40 pound bag food for an adult dog. We pound the crap out of our beagles in the look fine on high protein diamond. Know ur dog. We've gotten lucky both my chessies seem to be able to be free fed and don't over eat. I used to try n feed our beagles cheap stuff in the summer. Just trim back how much diamond u feed. Plus at farm n home its 20 for 50 so its actually cheap. Even at 25 for 50 its cheap compared to other stuff.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I really like Chicken Soup for the dog lovers soul brand...It has all natural ingredients that we feed both of my golden's

·
Premium Member
12,302 Posts
I feed what the breeder fed. Make a change of my choice gradually.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I always start out with Pro Plan puppy. Check with your vet as to when you should stop feeding your puppy brand. I always switch to adult food around 5 to 6 months. Puppy food is rich in nutrients and can cause the dog to grow...... say a little to fast and can be hard on joints. I like Natures Logic as an adult food, its a little pricey, but I am happy with it.

·
Banned
3,032 Posts
I always start out with Pro Plan puppy. Check with your vet as to when you should stop feeding your puppy brand. I always switch to adult food around 5 to 6 months. Puppy food is rich in nutrients and can cause the dog to grow...... say a little to fast and can be hard on joints. I like Natures Logic as an adult food, its a little pricey, but I am happy with it.
For large dog its 15 weeks

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have always had luck with my beagles by feeding purina puppy until 5 months old. then switched to diamand beef and rice. but do your homework after a couple of recalls i switched to sportmix 24-18. dogs look great and even at 70 degrees can stroke a rabbit for hours. good luck with your pup and feed what works for you.

·
Banned
3,032 Posts
i have always had luck with my beagles by feeding purina puppy until 5 months old. then switched to diamand beef and rice. but do your homework after a couple of recalls i switched to sportmix 24-18. dogs look great and even at 70 degrees can stroke a rabbit for hours. good luck with your pup and feed what works for you.
My dad started picking that stuff up too. Its cheaper than diamond too. Tsc sells it for more than farm n home so i don't buy it. Our beagles didn't look run down this fall at 8-14 miles a day 3 days a week.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'll second Chicken Soup for the dog lovers soul. Gives your pet all the good stuff they need and their coat is amazing!!

·
Premium Member
4,865 Posts
The answer to your question is big yes. IMO you save thousands in Vet bills by using the better foods. Which brand is up to you but the more expensive brands are a higher quality.

With labs you biggest enemies or too much weight and joints. So keep that in mind when you choose a brand.

Lastly don't fall for marketing tricks aimed at humans not dogs. Food in the shape of a lambs leg or something like that.

·
Registered
497 Posts
They do also offer a light version of adult food, which I now use, it is nice because it has less empty calories.

Agreed on the more expensive food...will save on vet bills....Also with the Chicken soup, I do not have any dead spots in my lawn, but rather much greener better growing grass, so there is another plus...LOL.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I feed PMI exclusive, have been for at least six years. You will see a great coat and healthy dog. You won't see me experimenting with other dog foods, did that before I found PMI.

Diamond has had two recalls of thier food. You'd think they would have gotten it right after the first one caused fatalities in dogs.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The answer to your question is big yes. IMO you save thousands in Vet bills by using the better foods. Which brand is up to you but the more expensive brands are a higher quality.

With labs you biggest enemies or too much weight and joints. So keep that in mind when you choose a brand.

Lastly don't fall for marketing tricks aimed at humans not dogs. Food in the shape of a lambs leg or something like that.
Highly Disagree with you here, just because a food is more expensive certainly does not mean that it is a higher quality.

Check the ingredients, and proportions in the "high end" dog foods and compare it to Costco's "kirklands super premium" , In my research kirklands is highly comparable to ALL of the high end brands, and in some cases better than the expensive brands. For about half the price. If you dont already have a costco membership , the Dog food alone is reason enough to get a membership, the savings for me covered the membership fee in 2 months. I was spending over $50 a bag for the "big name" brands, when i switched i now spend $27 a bag.

As I said have a look for yourself on the ingredients and proportions of content and I'm sure you will agree that they are highly comparable.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
I have always fed all my dogs Purina puppy chow to start them. over the years I have had five cheesies a couple of brittiny's and some asorted other breeds. all did well on Purina puppy chow then dog chow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts