Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new pup Cody that I went to Massachuchetts to get.

Man that dog is really trying my patients.

I worked for two hours today re:beagle proofing my pen.
A pen that has no problems holding every other beagle I know.

I have owned a ton of beagles and I have NEVER seen one like him.

I thought I finnally had him today. I put the final boards up and he was stuck in the pen. ( So I thought). It took him an hour of thinking and he finnally found a way.

So it's off to tracter supply to get a little Juice to go around the top of the pen.

I told him today that if he doesn't run rabbits the way his 1/2 brother (Duce) does. I'm gonna make him walk back to MA.LOL

So if anybody needs a test case to see if there pen is dog proof let me know.

I think he was an Inmate at Alcatraz in his former life:rolleyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well Rob if he's half as smart when it comes to rabbits as he is when it comes to escaping you should be rather pleased...Let's just hope he is, good luck!!

Mike

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
It amazing how high a 1 foot dog can climb!!! My freinds pitbull will climb out of a 6 foot kennel if the top isnt on. She continually runs at it climbing until she get to the top. Amazing and I didnt believe it if I hadnt seen it myself. She clibs over regual chain link fences like a hurdler in a matter of seconds. Good thing that dog loves people... she will whine till you let her sit on your lap. Its unreal.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I am shocked to read this is the first time you've really had a problem since you've had so many beagles, but I am not surprised it is happening. We had so many problems with some of ours that it would take about 5 minutes to remove all the anti-escape hardware just to get one gate open. Big pain in the rear.

When my lab puppy started pulling all her escapes, I was experienced in the art of containment and put a quick stop to her antics. Beagles taught me well. Luckily she isn't the climber that our beagles were so I didn't have to put a roof on her kennel. :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Rob,

I can not believe you are not capitalizing on this.

Think you have a new Job, and you need do nothing except drive. Then to make it better you only work in the off season.

Thats right take the new pup and advertise to escape test any facility known to dog or man. Then you will be able to get paid good consulting money for letting the dog do what it enjoys.

I sure hope this one either rides int he vehicle on the way to hunt or you really have an iron box made and paddel lock and weld it.

:D

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
About 6 years ago I found a yellow lab in the front yard with no collar. It was looking pretty thin but came to hand when you called it. We coaxed the dog into the back yard and fed him some food. For the next few days he spent his time in the garage or in the backyard. He like your beagle could climb fences with ease. He would just put himself at the corner and make his climb. He got into the neighbors state police dogs kennel (at the time a drug sniffing golden) and started a scuffle with him. Luckily neither dogs were injured. We soon found the owner and the dog lived about 15 miles from our house and accross the Saginaw River. When he arrived he grab the dog by the scruff of its neck and dragged him to his car, then put the yellow lab in the TRUNK of his caprice! Less then a week later we found the yellow lab sleeping in the back yard. Somehow he found his way back. We got ahold of the gentlemen and he came back for his dog. We hated to see him go this time, thinking that the owner may not be the best fit for the dog. Well, 2 days later, the dog was back in our back yard. This time we were told the dog jumped through a window in the basement of this guys house, then climbed the fence, then walked 15 miles while crossing a bridge or swimming accross the river. The man phoned us this time to see if the dog made his way back, and came and got him again. We were convinced the dog would soon be back, but he never made his way over again. I hope he's ok and the man wasn't the reason for the dogs many departures. Just another escapee story.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
lol

I could ramble on with a lot of stories about my little Hudini (spelling?).

My first beagle lived in my parents barn with a nice indoor kennel and a run outside. First few weeks he taught me all about digging dogs. To make a long, long, long story short...I had to cement the floor in outside.

My second beagle moved into the same kennel with my first dog. She was the other evil...the climber. I started out by closing in the top of the 6' tall inside kennel. Then she began climbing the 6' chainlink fence on the outdoor run. So I put a roof over the whole thing. Then she started climbing out the side of the angled roof. So I used chicken wire to enclose the upper sides. Then she climbed out the 6" square hole in one corner. I was out of wire...so I wedged a couple pieces of 2x4 in it. Half an hour later she is running around the yard...she managed to climb up the fence, at the high side, that was about 8' and knock out the 2x4's, climb through the tiny whole...and she was FREE.

I swear the two of them tag teamed together to reak havik on me.

I still have my second beagle...she has moved into the house with us. Now I have child proof locks on all the lower cabinets, drawers, ect. She can open anything...if she wants. One time she climbed my book shelf to get the Hersery Kisses on the 5th shelf.

They are great though...they just make things interesting.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats what amazed me.

I have had a ton of beagles and I have had some good escape artists but NEVER one like this.

He had better be good.:eek: ;)

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't run him yet.

The two I went to MA to get are still a little shy and were not been handled much.

I have a little work left to do with them before I can take them out.

I can't wait to run him untill he is too tired to try to get out .;)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I had a little female that was as good at getting out of a kennel as she ran a rabbit. She would climb right up the side of a 8' kennel and leap to freedom and be off running rabbits in the little pothole in front of the house. Thinking I could contain her with just a foot of chicken wire run around the top so she would climb into it and be unable to get over only worked for 3 days. She would climb up and just lean over backwards as if to fall and time her leap and catch the edge of the wire and over she would go. I ended up putting a full roof on it. Her name was lizzy but she earned the name lizard for the way she could climb. Unfortanetly I lossed her to hypothermia one winter when a tree limb came down and took down a corner of the kennel on a -30 degree day. She took off when I was gone to work by the time I found her at 1 in the morning it was to late. :( The only fault she had was when a rabbit would go to ground she would not leave no matter what she would try and dig them out. She was one determined little dog.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Your dog must be a relative of my last beagle. After putting in both a floor and a roof, he was still getting out. I found him chewing through the wire ties that hold the chain link fence to the poles and squeezing through. After replacing the chain link with metal grate, he would lay on his back and pull at the bottom of the gate until he pulled it uot far enough to squeeze through. By the time I got through beagle proofing the kennel it looked like Fort Knox. When people came over for the first time they would ask what kind of animal/beast I kept in there. Long story short, he never stopped getting out untill he began having seizures and his health declined. Sorry for rambling on but just wanted to prepare you for what you may be up against. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have had beagles my whole life and never seen one like him.

But the problem is solved.

I went to tractor supply and bought a cattel fence.

;) He jumped on it one time and decided he didn't want anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts