Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'77 GP440.
I had it started and ran it when we had a couple inches of snow(just to see if it was going to run).
i had the carborator redone in the summer of 2002 and it sat the entire winter season last year.
anyways i started it and ran it as i said before. ran fine no problems. i parked it and i have not been able to start it again.

I have changed the plugs. (yes it has gas in it)
How do i test to see if it is getting spark? :confused:

· Registered
5,813 Posts
remove the spark plug. put the plug back into rubber boot and hold the plug by the rubber boot against the top of the engine. keep it turned up so you can see the gap in the plug. be sure kill switch is open, and key on. then pull the rope slow at first. i believe the harder you pull the rope the more spark you will create and the worse of a shock you could get.

does it have spark?
when you were trying to start it were the plugs wet? was it getting gas to the plugs?

· Registered
9,821 Posts
spark + gas it should at least cough..... so I think checkin for spark and checkin to make sure gas is entering the combustion chamber are good bets. Really it almost sounds like its just plain not getting gas to me. maybe the filters got clogged, or carb is clogged.....

I'm not too familiar with snowmobile's fuel system, but I am guessing there would be a prefilter in tank and an inline filter closer to the carb, but i can be wrong. Might want to check/replace these.

steve

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it has spark, yes the plugs are getting wet with gas. :confused:

Carburetor was redone just recently and it has ran since then.
Thanks for the help. any other idea's please post and i will check it out.

· Registered
1,520 Posts
Take out the spark plug and shoot some starting fluid or a splash of gas in the cylinder, put the plug back in and fire it up. Did the same thing on my father in laws log splitter this weekend. He argued with me the splashing gas down the cylinder would not work cause "the plug is wet and its getting enough gas". He went in the house to get the keys to his truck, cause he was going to run to the store for starting fluid. While he was in the house I splashed some gas, put the plug in and it fired on the third pull. Log splitter ran great the rest of the day :D

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok did that, it gets it to start but it stalls immediately. :(
thank you so much for the help, i really thought it was my kill switch. Guess it wasnt that.
I will call my friend. I just wanted to try everything that i could first.
Thank you again. :D

· Registered
20 Posts
I would be willing to bet it is your choke cable or the choke lever .
follow your choke cable to carb take your cable off your carb by loosening the fitting .Look at it and pull your choke lever to see if it is moving up and down if it is not moving you can break the lever off (after you take it off you control panel ) have someone pull on the inside cable out all the way and you try to start it if it starts hold the cable till it warms up then let go but give it gas to keep it running then buy a new choke for it

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The choke moves the "butterfly" right?
that is moving when i pull the choke. My carb is fully visable to me everything seams to be working ie choke, throttle. I can see the gas line going into it. and gas is going in. but ummm should i have air as well? :confused: i see some air in the line.
I will clean the carb if i knew what to clean it with. I am not pulling it off. The carb was just redone and i trust the person fully that did it.
I am sorry for so many stupid questions, what i am trying to avoid is getting the Ex over here to start it for me. :rolleyes:

· Registered
1,520 Posts
If the gas has been sitting in the tank for that long, try draining the gas and put new gas in. I know when mixed gas sits for along period of time like in a weed whip or something, they will have problems staying running. I know it probably not mixed gas but its worth a try. Good luck.

· Registered
5,813 Posts
what i do in that situation is punt!:D

ok seriously. i would take the carb off the machine and use gumout carb cleaner and spray it in every hole. take the bowl off as well.

does the gas smell like varnish? smell a can of gas then smell whats in the tank.... i do not recommmend doing this for any amount of time. once is enough...:D

· Registered
27,343 Posts
Yep, gas sitting for a year will go bad. Learned it on my motorcycle. The only way I found to remove the varnsih is to completely disassemble and clean.

· Registered
3,011 Posts
Id give up and just sell it to me Wildchild!:D Just kidding
Im with the rest of ya its probably carb or bad gas
Check :
your carb for gunk spray the sheet out of it with carb cleaner , rebuild if necessary

your fuel filters - they could be clogged

gas mix if you have a 2 stroke with no oil injection ?- could be too much oil in mix , start with new

If so drain old gas, put in new, Pull out your spark plugs and make sure they are clean and not all black with carbon, clean them with a wire brush and starter fluid or carb cleaner till shiny make sure your spark plugs and wires are on tight

If no good your coils or fuel pump going or plugs ( if their champions especially...buy NGKs)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.