Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 585 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,160 Posts
I had this discussion with a high-end restaurant owner. Back then dining was limited to 50% capacity. I asked where the break-even point is. 35, 40, 45%. She said pretty close....
Yeah. I'm wondering more generally. Not just current business but assistance, unemployment, etc. Will as many never return as is thought?

Doesn't seem we really have good data on it right now aside from unemployment numbers. And what are they getting out of unemployment relative to regular income when working?

·
Super Moderator
19,631 Posts
Yeah. I'm wondering more generally. Not just current business but assistance, unemployment, etc. Will as many never return as is thought?

Doesn't seem we really have good data on it right now aside from unemployment numbers. And what are they getting out of unemployment relative to regular income when working?
Another 20 weeks have just been added, along with the extra 300 until March 13th

That being said here in Michigan I highly doubt that most restaurant workers received the max (362 a week), since many were part time and the wait staff only getting a fraction of min. wage.

-------------------------------------------
On December 27, 2020, the Continued Assistance for Unemployed Workers Act, referred to as the Continued Assistance Act (CAA) was signed into federal law. The CAA is an extension of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act), and in part, provides for an extension of Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC). FPUC provides an additional $300 per week in supplemental benefits to eligible individuals. FPUC is payable for the weeks ending January 2, 2021 through the week ending March 13, 2021.

Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) records show you have established a claim for unemployment benefits. Therefore, this notice is to advise that in addition to your weekly benefit amount, provided that you receive at least $1.00 in unemployment weekly compensation benefits, you are eligible to receive an additional $300 per week in Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC). The additional $300 will be paid along with your weekly benefit entitlement and will be retroactively paid for the week ending January 2, 2021. The additional $300 per week will end when your benefit entitlement expires or the week ending March 13, 2021, whichever one comes first. You do not need to do anything additional to qualify for FPUC; however, you must continue to certify bi-weekly and be eligible to receive the payment.

It is expected that payment of the additional $300 will begin the week ending January 16, 2021; however, it may take longer. Therefore, there is no need to contact the UIA for updates. For updated information, you are encouraged to monitor your Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM). If you do not have a MiWAM account, you can create an account online at www.michigan.gov/uia.

Thank you for your patience as we work to get you paid as soon as possible.

Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency

·
Super Moderator
35,160 Posts
Another 20 weeks have just been added, along with the extra 300 until March 13th

That being said here in Michigan I highly doubt that most restaurant workers received the max (362 a week), since many were part time and the wait staff only getting a fraction of min. wage.

-------------------------------------------
On December 27, 2020, the Continued Assistance for Unemployed Workers Act, referred to as the Continued Assistance Act (CAA) was signed into federal law. The CAA is an extension of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act), and in part, provides for an extension of Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC). FPUC provides an additional $300 per week in supplemental benefits to eligible individuals. FPUC is payable for the weeks ending January 2, 2021 through the week ending March 13, 2021.

Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) records show you have established a claim for unemployment benefits. Therefore, this notice is to advise that in addition to your weekly benefit amount, provided that you receive at least $1.00 in unemployment weekly compensation benefits, you are eligible to receive an additional $300 per week in Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC). The additional $300 will be paid along with your weekly benefit entitlement and will be retroactively paid for the week ending January 2, 2021. The additional $300 per week will end when your benefit entitlement expires or the week ending March 13, 2021, whichever one comes first. You do not need to do anything additional to qualify for FPUC; however, you must continue to certify bi-weekly and be eligible to receive the payment.

It is expected that payment of the additional $300 will begin the week ending January 16, 2021; however, it may take longer. Therefore, there is no need to contact the UIA for updates. For updated information, you are encouraged to monitor your Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM). If you do not have a MiWAM account, you can create an account online at www.michigan.gov/uia.

Thank you for your patience as we work to get you paid as soon as possible.

Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency
Yeah, I dunno... I do know a fair number who were making more to sit home than they ever did working. Not sure if they ended up behind or broke even over the course of the past 9 months or so.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Over the holidays I and my 50s parents literally dined and lived indoors unknowingly with an active covid case for several days. We also dined indoors with our 70-80s grandparents. No one else caught it.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,177 Posts
I probably don't need to bring up the workplace break room analogy again. I mean it's essentially a restaurant even provides food via a vending machine. A number of people (depending on the size of the room) are all in there eating mask-less for half an hour or so. Hospital cafeteria's I have heard too.

·
Administrator
26,673 Posts
I'LL BE GOD DAMNED IF IM GOING TO BE CAGED LIKE AN ANIMAL !!! THIS IS STUPIDEST THING I'VE HEARD.. I can't even read through all these responses, my hands are shaking literally..

Those that need to stay home, stay home !!! From the beginning of this ******** !!!

Agree !The states that are open and ******* normal people are doing great !! Most have had the (cough) & survived and are doing fine a long with thier economy's ....The more people that catch it and live through it just fine like "most" due then there's an immunity :)

I'm out...won't respond again.. I'm going in the woods with sunshine and critters, after I take a valium to calm down !!!
Settle down AJ. Walleye fishing will be here soon.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I feel terrible for the restaurant owners, this has to be tough keeping the doors open. Nice thing for them is at least they can serve take-out and have a chance to survive. The real issue with restaurants is that take-out or 30%-50% capacity only requires probably 1/4 of the staff needed if the business was running at full capacity. I feel the much worse for all the waitstaff that are sitting on the sidelines praying the unemployment check will keep coming and covering living expenses.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I feel terrible for the restaurant owners, this has to be tough keeping the doors open. Nice thing for them is at least they can serve take-out and have a chance to survive. The real issue with restaurants is that take-out or 30%-50% capacity only requires probably 1/4 of the staff needed if the business was running at full capacity. I feel the much worse for all the waitstaff that are sitting on the sidelines praying the unemployment check will keep coming and covering living expenses.
Another issue is that a restaurant offering everything on the menu has to keep all their kitchen equipment operating at full throttle to meet minimal demand. Most I know of are offering limited days/hours and limited menu to try to keep costs low.

Then add to the fact that most of these businesses have one a day week to order inventory. How do you guess if you are going to be open on Friday, if you can't find out until Wednesday. Just how much in perishables does a owner purchase on the "chance" they'll be open?

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,177 Posts
Yeah so far none of the places I go have folded. While I rarely dine in, I still do the take out thing and tip that stimulus money back to them. Still only know of 1 place that went under so far. Tipped El Sombrero so big last Friday I got like a double order, LOL!

·
Registered
12,717 Posts
This is pretty hilarious actually... caged because you can't eat inside a business with other people? Come on...

I guess I dont see where I'm being so restricted or prevented from doing anything outside if home. Concerts or sports stadiums, sure... I guess.
I was quoting one that sounded like we should be caged. I'm far from it, haven't been since the whole deal..

I wonder if bar owners feel caged?
Hilarious!
Sent from my Pixel 4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
From running their business, sure. Isn't there more to do than that? It's not like people are literally locked up (with exception to quarantine).
Exactly, from running THEIR business, livelihood & those that depend on it !

Yeah, I dunno... I do know a fair number who were making more to sit home than they ever did working. Not sure if they ended up behind or broke even over the course of the past 9 months or so.
My gf is a bartender in our small town. She gets paid well. Most of her customers are older folk that like a friendly conversation and a pretty gal to talk too.. WAY behind what she would've made.. Not to mention she likes to work for her $ not this "free" $ being handed out.

Settle down AJ. Walleye fishing will be here soon.
I've been fishing Mike & squirrel hunting, scouting and running my beagles. I keep busy. Myself and my gf would kill each other if I didn't stay busy ;)

I hope there's a boating ban again just so I can watch all the MS lockdown loyalists' heads explode. :lol::hide:
"If" I were able to launch I would've with that whole ordeal too !! My dad always told me don't "talk" do it, you're too little to talk.....
I had a great job and would've said see ya in court. I'd be a sun of a gun someone tell me I can't fish in my boat :lol:. I actually had people tell me they were glad I wasn't able

·
Registered
12,717 Posts
Yeah so far none of the places I go have folded. While I rarely dine in, I still do the take out thing and tip that stimulus money back to them. Still only know of 1 place that went under so far. Tipped El Sombrero so big last Friday I got like a double order, LOL!
2 outta the 4 restaurants we frequent when at my uncles cabin were closed for good. 2 places in my town are done.. For good..

Oh yeah. I love my town and the people in it
20210113_162837_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
No. It is pure laziness.

I know some people that pretty much have ZERO reason to have a stove or oven, other than maybe a frozen pizza once in a while.

There are a lot of people that are just lazy slobs that refuse to do anything good for themselves or provide for themselves. Extremely sad.
Yeah I have a doctor friend and he says it is unbelievable what some people will knowingly do to their own bodies.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Since the pandemic we have been tipping at least 25% each takeout. The tips usually go to the server, they are working, not laid off. Why higher tips to the server, it's the owners that are hurting.
The Mom and Pop we frequent the server is the owner, so the tip is going to a good cause.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Michigan. One of only 4 states in the country that dont allow indoor dining. What science and data are we using here.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Reactions: fanrwing and 6Speed

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
2 outta the 4 restaurants we frequent when at my uncles cabin were closed for good. 2 places in my town are done.. For good..

Oh yeah. I love my town and the people in it
View attachment 631271
Place near me became a dope shop not long after the thing started. Can't confirm if it was already in the works. I mean I see the point that it's the weak that fail first. But in this case I didn't think the place was literally bad just out of town or village. And God knows those locations are drying up already.

Reactions: jimbo
121 - 140 of 585 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.