Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 585 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yeah some businesses aren't as flexible. Personally I don't need to eat or drink to bowl, and I am okay with takeout. Reminds me I should start using those 100 games I bought last January... supposed to have been good for a year but with how things went I'm probably just donating the money.
I agree for the most part. I really don't either, (a sip of water here and there is nice, though) but there are many people who simply will not go there because of that, which is driving down revenue. Thus, the restrictions are directly impacting revenue. Especially near me where the Ohio border is 10 minutes away. Thousands of Michigan dollars are going to Ohio's economy daily.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
It's way easy to poo-poo all the damage being done when we're able to sit behind the computer screen and still get our paycheck every week. If we weren't, that fart in the windstorm would be more of a tornado in the hurricane.

By the time it's over all we're going to have left if fast food and pizza places.

·
Super Moderator
35,338 Posts
Maybe this is impacting more restaurants in small towns. Seems they're doing okay or taking the opportunity to remodel around here.

·
Super Moderator
19,640 Posts
Maybe this is impacting more restaurants in small towns. Seems they're doing okay or taking the opportunity to remodel around here.

Mostly the older established places.

I feel sorry for the newer crowd of owners that extended themselves in order to take advantage of Detroit's revitalization.

Talked to one of my customers that owns a very popular local watering hole. He is one of the lucky ones that was able to purchase the building over 10 years ago.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't think the real effect of this will be seen for several months/years since many are finding ways to kick the can down the road at the moment. Treading water isn't the same as swimming and some will drown eventually.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I just hope that closing restaurants or any business for that matter was the last option, not the first option.

·
Premium Member
11,226 Posts
I was just in the most strict place I've seen yet. An eye check up. Couldn't even go in the door without calling first from the parking lot and answering questions. They touched everything for me except I had to handle my own contact lenses.
I had a dentist appt yesterday for a routine cleaning. Same thing. They bitched about all of it the whole time, but they didn't slack a bit. Which I can respect.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Ya know, if everyone would just stay home unless they absolutely have to go out, and wear masks (always) when they absolutely have to go out, and stop visiting with people they don't live with, covid really would die down. And then things could open back up, somewhat safely. But as long as morons keep not doing what it takes, and the numbers of cases, and deaths are still unacceptably high, then the Governor will be forced to keep restrictions in place. It is kind of funny that the people who whine the most about the restrictions, are the same people who are largely responsible for the restrictions being necessary.

You can thank all of the people who can't stop moving around, and can't wear masks, and can't stop visiting people they don't live with for this, and can't stop spreading covid. Put the blame where it belongs. After 10 freaking months of this, some people still aren't smart enough to figure it out.

I feel bad about bar, and restaurant owners, and workers. I worked in hospitality for years, and it is a tough business. But live people can find new jobs, and start new businesses. Dead people can't do anything. And we've got 13,000 dead Michiganders from covid, so far. I know they don't matter to the people who cry about having to wear masks, or not visit with people they don't live with. But it is a shame all those Michiganders died.
Lock downs don't work for everybody. Most of the population has nothing to fear. We have been locked down for more than nine months, We have a vaccine, and we know who the vulnerable populations are. It's time to start returning to "Normal".

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
Really this forum basically is useless now due to recent events.
Pretty much. You'd think the mods would leave a Maxi pad dispenser at the door the way many have been whining lately. Anecdotal, but everybody I know personally that's complaining now were always complainers to begin with. Smile, you woke up on the right side of the ground this morning.

·
Premium Member
11,226 Posts
I don't think the real effect of this will be seen for several months/years since many are finding ways to kick the can down the road at the moment. Treading water isn't the same as swimming and some will drown eventually.
Unfortunately, there is a segment of our society that thinks 99% of the people being hurt, some peoples livelihoods totally ripped away from them by force and no fault of their own, all in order to MAYBE protect 1% of the population.

I can understand both angles, and I think a lot of it is necessary, no matter the inconvenience. But, same with other aspects which cannot be mentioned here, it is the cherry picking and playing favorites that is going to be the straw that broke the camels back.

·
Administrator
26,694 Posts
Pretty much. You'd think the mods would leave a Maxi pad dispenser at the door the way many have been whining lately. Anecdotal, but everybody I know personally that's complaining now were always complainers to begin with. Smile, you woke up on the right side of the ground this morning.
But for many thats not good enough. When someone asks me how I'm doing today my response is "well I woke up this morning". Most will then say "yup thats a good thing".

41 - 60 of 585 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.