Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
281 - 300 of 585 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,109 Posts
Regulation is what you are supposed to do.
No, regulation is generally something you're legally required to adhere to.

You mean to say that percentage is deserving of enforcement actions for disobeying the regulation.
No, I mean that high of percentage is a justification for increased regulation.

Could have bought them a couple dozen padlocks for gates at the entrance to the problem ramps and given the majority of the officers a couple weeks of work from home duty to catch up on paperwork, but that makes too much sense.
Personally - I was a fan of keeping them open, with a penalty of watercraft confiscation and loss of hunting and fishing privileges for violation.

... but that would have got folks way more peeved than a motorboat hiatus.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
No, regulation is generally something you're legally required to adhere to.

No, I mean that high of percentage is a justification for increased regulation.

Personally - I was a fan of keeping them open, with a penalty of watercraft confiscation and loss of hunting and fishing privileges for violation.

... but that would have got folks way more peeved than a motorboat hiatus.
Regulations don't enforce themselves. Enforcement actions happen when regulations are not obeyed. Maybe you require more words such as "what you are legally supposed to do." I'm not talking supposed to do in a scouts honor sense.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,168 Posts
Our breakroom is closed.

You can eat in your office if you have one, or leave the building.
Don't want to say it on here, but my buddy works for a huge company (plants nation wide) who's rules are eating mask off, not - on. But still a large number of people spaced out at one time, maskless and eating. AKA a restaurant.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,168 Posts
Yeah, my joke about large and small snow formations was a disaster. Reading comprehension is about the written word, not intent and I get that. You're duck emoji meant you were ready for some backlash, to me.....so I obliged.

Apparently.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
You are absolutely correct.

Good bar owners hire sober bands that are cognizant of volume levels and don't drive away customers through ear splitting volume, while pimping bar specials and encouraging drinking (particularly of the specials the bar owner wants to sell).

Problem is, there just aren't very many of them out there (good bar owners AND sober professional bands).
I'm sorry, but in my opinion there has to be something wrong with any band that requires the listeners to be on the way to drunk to listen to them. Good bands record their own music, go on tours, etc. The rest are little more than the fat woman warbling in front of a Karaoke Machine.

Also, I've noticed over the last 40 years how many bands refuse to accept a Form 1099 for the fees they charge those drunk bar owners. So I wonder how many just forget to record that income on their taxes.

·
Premium Member
28,109 Posts
I'm sorry, but in my opinion there has to be something wrong with any band that requires the listeners to be on the way to drunk to listen to them.
I agree.

You aren't trying to get them drunk so they'll listen to you. You are trying to get them to spend money.

Bar bands are there to sell booze. That is your job.

Entertain the people so they stay longer and buy more booze, promote the specials so they buy more booze, encourage dancing so they get hot ans sweaty and buy more booze, play songs women like to dance to so they attract more men to the establishment to buy booze...

Good bands record their own music, go on tours, etc. The rest are little more than the fat woman warbling in front of a Karaoke Machine.
Nah - ORIGINALS bands record their own music, go on tours, etc.

For example - FiftyAmpFuse is a spectacular cover band that demands huge paydays. I was chatting with a member a couple years ago and they were all getting ready to get flown out to California and put up for a weekend (and paid ~$15,000) to play a wedding.

...but they don't record, they don't make their own music, and they don't tour.

Also, I've noticed over the last 40 years how many bands refuse to accept a Form 1099 for the fees they charge those drunk bar owners. So I wonder how many just forget to record that income on their taxes.
I'm happy to take a 1099 - but you're paying me the night of the gig before I leave your bar/wedding/restaurant/event (or before I play). Don't think you're pulling no net 30/60/90 garbage.

As for recording the income - outside of big event bands, I doubt most folks even break even. Even the couple years where I was gigging three weekends a month, I was barely making anything when you figure in travel and equipment.

·
Registered
10,798 Posts
Florida is 108 and Michigan is at 143.

Florida seems to be catching up. They have a higher case rate both in total and in the last 7 days - they just got their surge later, when the fatality rate had dropped because we've learned better how to treat the disease.

Over the last 7 days -
Michigan: 33.6 cases per day per 100K
Florida: 72.3 cases per day per 100K

Overall:
Michigan: 5,709 per 100K
Florida: 6,784 per 100K

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Heard on the news traffic deaths were way up in 2020. Blamed it on the lockdowns. Something about how we all got used to speeding when only essential workers were driving and once the rest of society came out on the roads no one slowed down.

more than 25% of traffic deaths are drunk driving related so I wonder if that number is up because drunks are not at the bar but in their car. My anecdotal evidence suggests drinking at public land parking spots must be up because I’ve never found so many beer cans as this year. I pick them up when I’m trapping and I think I’m up to close to $10 in cans without much effort.
Interestingly none of them are Busch latte cans.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Nope. Traffic fatality RATES were up (and not way up). Traffic deaths were down.
New York post says traffic deaths were up right in the headline look it up. I know I heard way up on the news but I see it’s like 12-13% over a couple month period.
What is the difference between a death and a fatality? I am not seeing that distinguished in the article. Seems interesting

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,168 Posts
I'm sorry, but in my opinion there has to be something wrong with any band that requires the listeners to be on the way to drunk to listen to them. Good bands record their own music, go on tours, etc. The rest are little more than the fat woman warbling in front of a Karaoke Machine..
I seriously doubt many if any serious bands like that exist. True musicians want their music to be heard and liked, and personal satisfaction. OK, a few are probably in it just for the snatch and scratch.

I like the way the Doors sort of mixed up the talent and inebriation, only to sell tens of millions of records and stand the test of time.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
I seriously doubt many if any serious bands like that exist. True musicians want their music to be heard and liked, and personal satisfaction. OK, a few are probably in it just for the snatch and scratch.

I like the way the Doors sort of mixed up the talent and inebriation, only to sell tens of millions of records and stand the test of time.
The Doors didn't limit their careers to playing Saturday nights at the local bar and grill. The Pescaderos (or whatever name they used) probably haven't had much radio air time, but that's just a guess.

·
Administrator
26,663 Posts
Don't want to say it on here, but my buddy works for a huge company (plants nation wide) who's rules are eating mask off, not - on. But still a large number of people spaced out at one time, maskless and eating. AKA a restaurant.
Speaking of lunch rooms, supposedly granddaughters lunch room at school you lower your mask, take a bite and replace your mask. Done chewing and swallow and repeat.

·
Registered
35,215 Posts
I’m pretty sure all these businesses have PPP available to them, that’s if they have less than $1B in assets. From my congressman today.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
January 14, 2021 CONTACT:
James Hogge 231-944-7633
Bergman Shares New Update on PPP Reopening and Guidance

The Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) continues to reopen in a sequential fashion.

This past Monday, January 11, 2021, the PPP reopened for small businesses and other newly eligible entities that did not receive a PPP loan during the first round of the program this summer. The Small Business Administration (SBA) and the Department of the Treasury reserved the Monday opening for Community Financial Institutions (CFIs) to submit PPP loan applications.

Wednesday, January 13, 2021, the PPP reopened for eligible small businesses and entities interested in receiving a second PPP loan. The SBA and the Department of the Treasury again reserved this opening period for CFIs to submit applications.

This coming Friday, January 15, 2021, all lenders with $1 billion or less in assets will be allowed to submit applications for First and Second Draw PPP loans.

The PPP will reopen to all lenders, no matter their size, on Tuesday, January 19, 2021.

Over the last week, federal agencies have published and released helpful information as it pertains to PPP. Below is an overview of a few important documents.

- Congress settled the debate surrounding PPP tax deductibility in the latest COVID Relief bill. Expenses made during the covered period can now receive a deduction. This Internal Revenue Service (IRS) guidance nullifies the previous Revenue Ruling on this topic and outlines the change as described in law.

- As outlined in the December COVID Relief bill, the requirement to deduct an Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) Advance from PPP Loan Forgiveness has been repealed. Borrowers who already moved through the PPP Loan Forgiveness process will be made whole. The SBA published this Procedural Notice outlining the repeal and how PPP loans that have already received forgiveness will be handled.

- If a lender participated in the first round of PPP, they do not have to reapply to be a lender during the second round of PPP. This SBA Procedural Notice outlines this determination. If a new lender is interested in participating in PPP for the first time, they can apply using one of the following application forms:

Form 3506 for Federally Insured Depository Institutions, Federally Insured Credit Unions, Farm Credit System Institutions
Form 3507 for Non-Bank and Non-Insured Depository Institution Lenders

The SBA and the Department of the Treasury intend to release updated PPP Loan Forgiveness guidance this month.

On Monday, Rep. Bergman provided an update to small businesses that the SBA and Treasury were Re-Opening the PPP.

You can read the full release here.

bergman.house.gov

281 - 300 of 585 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.