Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
261 - 280 of 585 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,164 Posts
Got it. Just a WAG with preference given to what makes you feel good to say instead of using available data to make an educated projection.
It's an educated guess based on reports of numerous violations... which is exactly what I said in the first post where it was stated.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Correct - I'd bet it was only 75%+ at that time involved people from multiple households on the same boat.

Even after the ban - approximately 1 in 5 DNR encounters with boaters involved a warning or citation for violation of COVID rules.
Seriously, why do you continue to make things up? What proof do you have that somewhere between 75-99% of boats had people from multiple households aboard?

Stay positive my Michigan brethren, in a few more weeks everything will be opened back up and things will get back to the "new normal" quickly, it's all about flattening the curve.

·
Registered
8,561 Posts
There is no available data to make an educated projection other violation numbers.
Sure there is, and you already know what it is.

Taking a sample of Michigan boaters after the motorboating ban was issued, but before it was lifted, 1 out of 5 scofflaw boating units was committing a second scofflaw of boating with members outside of their immediate families. Since not all Michigan boaters are scofflaws, it is highly likely that the sample group oversamples boaters with a propensity for scofflawness, and the number when applied to the entire group of Michigan boaters in April would have a lower rate of scofflawness than this biased sample group by the transitory property of scofflawness. Ipso facto the little piggy cried wee wee wee all the way to a rate lower than 20%.

·
Premium Member
28,164 Posts
I should amend this to say that Florida is at 106 deaths per 100k, while Michigan is at 147 deaths per 100k.
Florida is 108 and Michigan is at 143.

Florida seems to be catching up. They have a higher case rate both in total and in the last 7 days - they just got their surge later, when the fatality rate had dropped because we've learned better how to treat the disease.

Over the last 7 days -
Michigan: 33.6 cases per day per 100K
Florida: 72.3 cases per day per 100K

Overall:
Michigan: 5,709 per 100K
Florida: 6,784 per 100K

·
Premium Member
28,164 Posts
Sure there is, and you already know what it is.

Taking a sample of Michigan boaters after the motorboating ban was issued, but before it was lifted, 1 out of 5 scofflaw boating units was committing a second scofflaw of boating with members outside of their immediate families. Since not all Michigan boaters are scofflaws, it is highly likely that the sample group oversamples boaters with a propensity for scofflawness, and the number when applied to the entire group of Michigan boaters in April would have a lower rate of scofflawness than this biased sample group by the transitory property of scofflawness. Ipso facto the little piggy cried wee wee wee all the way to a rate lower than 20%.

...and I'd say based on my experience (~40 years fishing and 32 years hunting with one CO encounter in that entire time) - that EVERY violation of game and fishing laws is massively, massively under reported.

...but lets say the number was only 20% and didn't change at all when they banned motorboats. That is still a scofflaw percentage deserving of regulation.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Got it. Just a WAG with preference given to what makes you feel good to say instead of using available data to make an educated projection.
I should've just kept reading before I responded to his made up nonsense. As I kept reading I figured you'd smoke him out sooner or later. Critical thinkers can pull numbers out of thin air and present them as fact.

Did you know that 99.96% of all people who don't wear masks end up not getting infected with covid. And, check this interesting stat out, 81% of all people that play in bands are drug addicts and alcoholics and bar owners are 2nd behind them with a 80.48% addiction rate.

·
Super Moderator
19,634 Posts
I should've just kept reading before I responded to his made up nonsense. As I kept reading I figured you'd smoke him out sooner or later. Critical thinkers can pull numbers out of thin air and present them as fact.

Did you know that 99.96% of all people who don't wear masks end up not getting infected with covid. And, check this interesting stat out, 81% of all people that play in bands are drug addicts and alcoholics and bar owners are 2nd behind them with a 80.48% addiction rate.
Everyone knows that...LOL

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm rather disgusted by the many comments in this thread by those that seem to think that if a restaurant fails because of being forced to shut down that they actually deserve it for not being a good manager / owner.
I'm guessing most who feel that way have never owner or operated a small business of any type.

·
Super Moderator
35,238 Posts
I'm rather disgusted by the many comments in this thread by those that seem to think that if a restaurant fails because of being forced to shut down that they actually deserve it for not being a good manager / owner.
I'm guessing most who feel that way have never owner or operated a small business of any type.
They aren't forced to shut down. They are forced to not have indoor dining.

·
Registered
8,561 Posts
...and I'd say based on my experience (~40 years fishing and 32 years hunting with one CO encounter in that entire time) - that EVERY violation of game and fishing laws is massively, massively under reported.

...but lets say the number was only 20% and didn't change at all when they banned motorboats. That is still a scofflaw percentage deserving of regulation.
Regulation is what you are supposed to do. You mean to say that percentage is deserving of enforcement actions for disobeying the regulation. Lansing doesn't have a big enough Room 101 for what was the desired enforcement action, so we got a half baked plan instead that forced the DNR to pretend like they were enforcing something they had no desire to enforce. Could have bought them a couple dozen padlocks for gates at the entrance to the problem ramps and given the majority of the officers a couple weeks of work from home duty to catch up on paperwork, but that makes too much sense.

·
Super Moderator
35,238 Posts
yea .... poorly worded. Should have said forced to not be able to continue to provide the service that provides the majority of their revenues to maintain the business.
I think that's where the other comments come in. Not flexible enough or not good enough to attract customers for what is still allowed. Still sucks.

261 - 280 of 585 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.