Status
Not open for further replies.
221 - 240 of 585 Posts

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Not just after the ban was lifted.
Just after the ban was INSTITUTED.

The weekend after the ban was in effect - 1 in 5 DNR boater contacts still involved: failure to social distance, multiple households in one boat, use of a motorboat
Which ban are you talking about now? A week after the motorboating ban, or a week after the ban on boating with multiple households? Either way, paint me the picture on how 1 in 5 stops balloons to over 75%.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think pesky is missing your point... whether intentional to further an argument or not, I can't tell.

But similar to what was stated above, if officers pull over 5 people for speeding, because they were, and then write 5 tickets, that does not mean 100% of people are speeding. It means 100% of the speeders they pulled over for speeding were speeding. To state that would be ignoring the other 1,000 cars that passed by in the meantime travelling at or below the limit that weren't interacted with because they were obeying the law.

·
Premium Member
28,111 Posts
Which ban are you talking about now? A week after the motorboating ban, or a week after the ban on boating with multiple households? Either way, paint me the picture on how 1 in 5 stops balloons to over 75%.
The weekend after the ban on motorboating.

Even after multiple households were banned, and motorboating was banned - 20% of encounters were COVID violations.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts

Even after multiple households were banned, and motorboating was banned - 20% of encounters were COVID violations.
So if only 20% of the very small subset of all boaters who were breaking the motorboat ban executive order were also breaking the mixed company order, show how you walk that to your 75% of all boating number again? I'm still not following.

·
Premium Member
28,111 Posts
So if only 20% of the very small subset of all boaters who were breaking the motorboat ban executive order were also breaking the mixed company order, show how you walk that to your 75% of all boating number again? I'm still not following.

If you have no laws about running stop signs, then institute a stringent stop sign law with penalties... and still catch 20% of people running stop signs - you can be sure that before the law the number of people running stop signs was significantly higher.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts

I am betting that the boating ban had a great deal to do with several converging issues.

First, Michigan has a world class walleye fishery in the spring on the Detroit River(after Covid first surfaced).

This fishery attracts people from throughout the state and country.

Covid was running out of control in Wayne County and the City of Detroit at the time. It was untreatable and deadly.

A boating ban was seen as a means of reducing the spread of a new, deadly, unknown illness throughout the state.

·
Super Moderator
35,161 Posts
I am betting that the boating ban had a great deal to do with several converging issues.

First, Michigan has a world class walleye fishery in the spring on the Detroit River(after Covid first surfaced).

Covid was running out of control in Wayne County and the City of Detroit at the time. It was untreatable and deadly.

A boating ban was seen as a means of reducing the spread of a new, deadly, unknown illness throughout the state.
This is the only real logical reason to me.

·
Premium Member
28,111 Posts

Yep... plus they kept catching people at that fishery violating the rules.

·
Registered
12,717 Posts
Salons and gyms you are still required to wear masks 100% of the time. Restaurants you have to remove while eating. So the majority of the time they are off. (except for the short time from the door to the table and back)
(
Know one wears a mask at "my" gym. Haven't since it opened. It is thoroughly cleaned a few times a day though

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
If you have no laws about running stop signs, then institute a stringent stop sign law with penalties... and still catch 20% of people running stop signs - you can be sure that before the law the number of people running stop signs was significantly higher.
You are still purposefully avoiding telling us how you came up with your 75% number based on the data available. Stonewalling hurts your credibility.

·
Premium Member
28,111 Posts
You are still purposefully avoiding telling us how you came up with your 75% number based on the data available. Stonewalling hurts your credibility.
It's an estimate based on my knowledge of human behavior.

Note my original statement: "I'd bet it was only 75%+ at that time"

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Bar owners are, by far, the least competent/professional business owners I have EVER dealt with. About 90% are involved in some sort of illegal activity also, in addition to being alcoholics (and not the functional kind).
One thing is for sure. The good bar owners don't waste good money hiring drug addled no talent hacks that call themselves a band.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Multiple households were already banned, and everyone was ignoring those bans, and the DNR couldn't keep up with fining people... so they banned motorboating all together.

...and why only motorboating? Because 99.9% of the boating being done that time of year that involves multiple households is motorboating.

It ain't large sailing yachts full of people. It isn't 3 households in a kayak.

OK, I'll call you on this! Were was ANYBODY fined with multiple households in the boat? If the queen would have had her employees enforce it with fines you would have seen the practice stopped. Care to guess were the biggest offenders were? Put your knee on the rest of the state from the Walleye fisherman during the spring run downstate.

Reactions: sureshot006
221 - 240 of 585 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.