Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought my first I-40 and have a few questions since I have not put it out yet. Any battery name brand you may have found that this cam works better with? I have multiple sd cards 16 125 256 512 2g and 4G. What setting have you found to work best? low med or high and what card preference would you have? ( I found that the 512 and higher did not work as well in my bushnell and was wondering if anyone here has found a difference? Any other advice would be a help.
Ive had 5 different game cams (this is six) and each one has their own little quirks. From what I here and see, this one is a cam I should be happy with. Thank for any advice.
Tom

·
Registered
971 Posts
I think you will really like it, I like to use Duracell batteries & either the 1 or 2 gig card, the camera will take up to a 4 gig card , I also use the highest setting as far as the pictures go.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think you will really like it, I like to use Duracell batteries & either the 1 or 2 gig card, the camera will take up to a 4 gig card , I also use the highest setting as far as the pictures go.
Ditto. What he said. I use a 1G card with the highest resolution and it will hold 1,100 pics. It is a great camera. If you set it in an area that gets a lotof sun you will get better pics.

·
Registered
810 Posts

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Are the low light pics not good?
My experience has been that if the camera is in the sun and the deer or whatever is in the shade the pictures are not good.......too dark. I have had to move the camera a couple of times for this reason. Otherwise, no problems except for the ghost that shows up once in a while at night.

L & O

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I use Duracell and they last a long time. I also use a 1gb card and I usethe highest setting. I also set it up to take 3 photos per trigger at i believe 5 or maybe 10 seconds apart.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just got an i40 this year also. Its awesome! I have hade the same batteries(moultrie batteries that were bought seperate with a sd card)in it since late june and it still has 89% battery life. I would put it were you can get some sunlight cause alot of my pics in the woods were black and white.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If using the highest resolution do you get a more blurred pic if the animal is moving? Anyone know when you would want to use all three settings (resolution wise) In other words, what situations would you set your cam to a low or Med resolution instead of high?
On one of my (actually most of them) cheaper cams, if I would set it to high resolution, I could almost count on it that most pics would be blurry or white.
What I am looking forward to the most is the night time distance range of this cam.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Have you guys done the online update on your cams?? I used to get a white out and lots of black and whites at dusk and dawn before the update. After the update it is has been great at dusk and dawn and have not had one white out since.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I think with the lower settings your SD card will hold more pictures, the lower settings drop the resolution from 4.0 to I think 2.0 , I am pretty sure there is something in the book about that..Just looked at the book it tells you about the different settings , it's on the back page in camera specs..

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hey Brokenarrow, could you look at your packaging and tell me if the item number matches the one in this link?

I'm trying to see if this is the I40 and am getting mixed responses on another thread.

Thanks for any help!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...098&hasJS=true

·
Registered
525 Posts
I just got my I-40 about 2 months ago. I checked the website about downloading the update that they have, but I didn't have to since the update was already on my camera. I've noticed that I still get a lot of black and white pictures when I have my camera in the shadows of the woods. It's only midday when the sun is overhead that I'm getting color photos. However, the quality seems pretty good. I do get some pictures that are blurry (black and white only) when the deer are moving quickly. I have my resolution set at the highest, but I don't think that effects the clarity of the photo when it comes to a moving animal.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I just got an i40 this year also. Its awesome! I have hade the same batteries(moultrie batteries that were bought seperate with a sd card)in it since late june and it still has 89% battery life. I would put it were you can get some sunlight cause alot of my pics in the woods were black and white.
Has it been taking pics in the woods that whole time?

If so, that's great battery life.

Lots better than changing the batteries in a Wildview every 4 days:rolleyes:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Has it been taking pics in the woods that whole time?

If so, that's great battery life.

Lots better than changing the batteries in a Wildview every 4 days:rolleyes:
Ya went thru that with my Wildview, had my I40 since May, it's took over 1400 pics still has 85% battery life..:D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I used to use duracels and energizers in my cameras but found that Rayovacs (from walmart) are more economical. They seem to last just as long but you get more batteries per pack for less money. I had the same batteries in my I 40 from the beginning of june until this last weekend. They said there was 65% left but I changed them anyway.
I have been using my camera on video, high resolution, and think it is awesome. After a video segment the camera still snaps a pic so you get video and pics both. The best advantage of the movies are you can see a buck as he moves his head in different directions. You usually get a side shot as well as a head on, making it easier to gauge his size. Check out my photos and click on "the boy" to see what I mean.
My only knock on the I-40 is yes I get a lot of black and white pics when I thinkg the camera should be shooting in color. The video makes up for it though.
I would buy 2 more I-40s right now If i had an extra $400.00 sitting around.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Double lung
I left my packaging at the cabin, sorry, will be back there in 2 weeks for opener, will check then.
Thanks for the responses.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts