Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

What is too close when trolling next to other boats?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what this community thinks is too close when trolling, any thoughts? Looking for general rules to live by so we can all enjoy the outdoors together

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just keep in mind, when you see a planer board out there and you are two boat lengths past that planer board, you probably would run right over the guys line that is attached to that planer board, not knowing how much line is out behind it. There is a lot of room out there, but I fish the lakes not the rivers. I know the rivers get more congested than the lakes. If you are too close, most guys will let you know this by yelling something to you or signalling to you with their hand! ;)

·
Registered
944 Posts
I was wondering what this community thinks is too close when trolling, any thoughts? Looking for general rules to live by so we can all enjoy the outdoors together
There will always be someone ,weather trolling ,anchored ,or casting from shore that violates what we perceive as "MY SPACE". Encroachment comes in many forms in other situations as well, the human in us. Ethically all should allow the space they want for themselves,but some times that can't or won't happen. 100' separating tackle to tackle would be the best scenario. JMHO..

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
50 feet to the side of a boat and 100 feet to the rear should be a buffer that other boats don't enter. Whoever is running planer boards, it should be your concern to bring them inside of this buffer if you don't want other boats to run over your lines. Last year there was a jackass running a single rod with an inline planer board off the back of a 30' cruiser going up the Middle Channel on a weekend. The board was a good 100+ feet out to the side of the boat that was damn hard to see with the waves, and you don't expect a boat like that to be running a single rod. Don't be that guy.

·
Registered
439 Posts
depends are we talking lake or river?

In the river I just try not getting tangled. Everyone is going different speeds and always re-positioning.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I fished Gogebic a few weeks ago. Was casting for walleyes and had some guys run boards by us within 50' easily. Didn't bother me a bit. In fact we talked to them and even caught fish while talking. We trolled some during the trip and trolled past other guys with 50' asking questions. It's such a silent form of running a motor and water is fairly deep so no worries. Don't really think it bothers anything. To each there own. It bothers me a whole hell of alot more when jet skis or speed boats fly by at twice that distance when I'm fishing.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I fished Gogebic a few weeks ago. Was casting for walleyes and had some guys run boards by us within 50' easily. Didn't bother me a bit. In fact we talked to them and even caught fish while talking. We trolled some during the trip and trolled past other guys with 50' asking questions. It's such a silent form of running a motor and water is fairly deep so no worries. Don't really think it bothers anything. To each there own. It bothers me a whole hell of alot more when jet skis or speed boats fly by at twice that distance when I'm fishing.
I really don't care, either. I do my best to stay clear, but as long as we don't tangle I'm good.
I guess combat fishing for salmon desensitized me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Yep, that combat fishing gets rough sometimes!

Reactions: triplelunger

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I really don't care, either. I do my best to stay clear, but as long as we don't tangle I'm good.
I guess combat fishing for salmon desensitized me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I'm probably not the right guy to say as I'm not one that trolls much. It just doesn't seem to be a big deal to me and only because the slow speeds coupled with almost zero wake has no effect on my boat control or fishing success. Those two things I kinda have an issue with when another boat or fisherman cause those particular problems. Trolling really does not. Being lakes are public, I really can't do anything about any of them. Just whine.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Depends. If you're around someone trolling harnesses or cranks that are only 40' back you can get close without much worry. But how do you know he doesn't have 4 colors of lead out with a spoon on a 50' leader? If so that is 170' or more back from the board.

When chasing salmon, my blood pressure goes up if I have a boat cut within 300 yards of me. It isn't unusual for me to have 400' of copper behind the board - before a fish hits.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I was going to say a couple hundred foot?
I don't troll very much. I mostly stay a long ways away from other boats as well as their lines. At least I feel like I do.

Kind of funny but last week when I was coming into the boat launch there in Marysville there were some guys casting off that round deck on the south side of the launch and some other people with set lines on the north side next to the launch. I was like 400 feet out and coming in. The guys on the round dock were motioning me to stay back. I'm like huh? They didn't have a fish on or nothin. Guess they just wanted me to stay away.
I made a wide turn and tried to come in from straight out and give everyone as much space as I could, but like I said, its a freakin boat launch. If you're going to fish there you've got to realize boats are going to come and go right up that little canal. Theres only one way in and out.

I wasn't trying to make anyone upset. In fact I tried hard to give everyone as much room as I could. IDK they probably thought I was an a hole, but what are you sposed to do? I think some of the bank fishermen just hate any and all boats. Doesn't matter what you do.

I remember Spanky use to call the bank fishermen bank maggots. And I've heard bank fishermen call the boat guys boat weevils. All in good fun though.
I'm both. A bank maggot and a boat weevil :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts