Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoo hoo!! I got my order for my hybrids in. I've been planting these things for the last couple of years with no success. I've been planting the rooted plants that are about 16" tall, taking a spade shovel and making a slit in the ground and putting the tree in then packing the root back down. My survival rate has been about 5% :mad: Well come to find out, hybrid poplars are very weed sensitive. This would explain alot. So this year I bought 50, 4-6 footers. This year I will do things a little different. Spring time I am going to brush hog 50 spots then I am going to round up those spots to make sure all vegitation is dead. When I go to plant them I am going to put a piece of weed guard 2ftx2ft to keep weeds from coming through. Its going to be alot more work than I put in the other ones but I need this to work. Can't wait till spring :D Anyone else planting hybrid poplars this spring?

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
The only ones I had survive were planted right on the edge or in water (swamp, low areas, etc.).. I found they need alot of water.. I had one that grew a stem over 6 feet this past summer..

CB

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Sounds like you are well prepared. It would be a good idea to check on them throughout the spring and summer. You may have to spray round up a couple of times. May also have to protect them to keep the deer from browsing them.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
18,884 Posts
I must be lucky, I've just stuck them in the ground and walked away and never lost a one plus they grew like weeds. The ground they were in was kind of low though and gets plenty of water. Once they get about 20 years old they start to die off.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you are well prepared. It would be a good idea to check on them throughout the spring and summer. You may have to spray round up a couple of times. May also have to protect them to keep the deer from browsing them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, the deer browsing is a huge problem. Thats why we are going with the bigger trees. Its alot more work and money but if it works its worth it. I am going to cut 2.5 ft sections of corregated drain pipe to wrap them. Then we are going to surround them with chicken wire. Its going to be alot of work but this is my last ditch effort to get a fast growing tree. We are putting them on 80 acres and not alot of mature trees on it.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
I planted 25 last spring. Lost about 3 or 4, and never did anything special. They didn't take off like lots of reports led me to believe. I'm hoping this year will be different. Perhaps the shock of planting slowed them down.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The QDMA forum has a lot of discussion in this regard. I will be planting a couple thousand of these this spring and plan to use cuttings. Weeds can be controlled with Oust prior to planting and Poast Plus after planting.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The pipe idea is not that great of a idea. Inside the pipe is a great place for mice to live and also the black pipe heats up in the winter and could kill them. I would just use fine wire or screen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts