Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A hurricane in michigan?!? No, i'm not crazy, although some may disagree.;)

Hurricane Isabel is a strong hurricane with winds of 155mph a few 100 miles NW of purto rico. The hurricane is forcasted to maintain its own or slightly grow stronger in the up coming days.

Now, would i write about this some of you maybe saying, well the storm looks like it will hit near the mid atlantic sometime thurs. With a strong cold front to the west of us and a strong southerly flow, the hurricane will speed up after hitting land and race towards Upstate new york . By friday its forcasted to be near lk ontario. If the storm maintains or grows in size before hitting land and does race northward, Winds could still be well over hurricane force by the time it nears us. Gales on the lake are almost a sure bet, but winds much higher could also occur. Keep an eye on this, i know i will be.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT13/refresh/AL1303W5+GIF/142058W5.gif

here is the forcasted path, its much to early to say where it will go after hitting land and how strong, but it could be a very interesting weekend.

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
SNOW?!?!?!? ACCCCK! Don't we get enough cold crappy weather already? It can hold off till Jan as far as I'm concerned. I like ice fishing, but only because I HAVE TO if I am going to catch any fish.

Seems like every few years we get the reminents of a cane that comes through. Unless that thing is clipping when it makes landfall, it probably won't have much punch left if it makes it up here. More than likely it will swing through the NE and stall a front out over us for a few days. Pity the poor souls that are in the way when this thing makes landfall. Buddy of mine lives in SC and he is pretty nervous right now.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
No Snow before I move to FL!!!!!
Still waitin' for a buyer.
Plus - I already gave my snowblower to my bro-inlaw, in hopes that we'll be gone before the snow comes....:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't we have enough to worry about without some one thinking up another one. All I can say is "CHIcken Little". Lets focus on some thing positive. we need rain.
Fishlord

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Actually the term hurricane is used in reference to low pressure storm systems that bring sustained winds of 70+ mph. While here in Michigan we don't experience a true, tropical hurricane, only their much diminished remnants, we do experience storm systems caused by low pressure systems which bring winds of 70+ mph.

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Fishlord.......I don't think that anyone is worried about it..... You can't do anything about it, so what is there to worry about.

Storms rock... I love thunderstorms, blizzards, tornados, hurricanes, doesnt matter, bring it on. My first career choice was to be a meterologist. (till I hit all the math in college) I used to draw the fronts out on a map when I was about 7 or 8. The power of the weather has always awed me. Stood out on LK Mi shore line during 65mph winds watching the surf and getting sand blasted. Went back and got my yak off the car and played in the 7'breakers for a couple of hours. Had a couple people that wanted to "rescue" me :p

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the storm moves fast enough once it makes landfall, it might still be a true tropical storm or hurricane before becoming extratropical.

Its very unusual for a tropical systems to still be classified as tropical when they reach this far north, but it does happen every once in a great while. Will this be one of those times? time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
jeremy, keep us posted on this one. You seem to have a handle on this stuff better than the local forecasters. I'm entered in a fishing tourney on LSC this weekend and I really don't want to brave gale force winds and 6 footers.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the hurricane has weaken a good bit over the last 24 hours, but still will be a decent one when it makes landfall. What this does for us is it will mean less rain/wind from whats left of it when it nears. As of now, it looks like the heavy rain will stay just east of michigan, but that could change.

The winds will be strong even without the hurricane's effect as a cold front comes though on friday. Near gale winds and high waves will be found on most if not all of the great lakes and LSC.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Yeah, MAN, it ran into a big pool of dry air, top sustain winds went all the way down to 105 mph!!!! It looks much less orginaized, it just looks messed up, i am suprised it is still a hurricane!!!! BUT, there is a deep low pressure coming in, and, i predict a major stregthening the next 36 hours, as the low moves north, and give it alot of moisture. I think 140-150 mph it will get, i hope it's back to 160, i want to sea a cat. 5 live on TV!!!!!! If it does that, not doubt it will still be at least tropical storm force when it reaches us, and, it could stregthen over the great lakes, but, it may not be cold enuff, c-mon, you stupid hurricane, STREGTHEN!!!!LOL

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
c-mon, you stupid hurricane, STREGTHEN!!!!LOL

Yeah, come on, I want to see more people lives destroyed, roofs blown off, water supplies contaminated, I never seen all that on "t.v."......:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26,528 Posts
Esox, nope he's only fourteen. I could wait a couple of dozen lifetimes before I see it happen :rolleyes: I need to buy some OSB but I ain't paying the price for it now!

·
Registered
732 Posts
wellll.... i guess i better start boarding up the shop and hauling water to the house....( storm shutters) ..... oh.... the fun of living in this area.... :D :D ;)

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No one, or almost no one, wants to see this thing bring death and devastation to those in its path. Hopefully it won't grow much again and people will be prepared when it does hit land.

Hopefully some of us will get a real good soaking out of whats left of it when it passes just to the east of us friday and sat. The path is still not set in stone and latest trends show it moving a bit more west before hitting land, which would mean it would end up closer to us.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT13/refresh/AL1303W5+GIF/162313W5.gif

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Kinda funny though, isn't it. On one hand you'd like to be part of a record-breaking storm pushing through to the Great Lakes, knowing in your gut that we wouldn't suffer much damage, but....................... the people in the path, especially the ones that see this type of storm every other year, certainly don't share in the enthusiasm.

Personally, I get excited about the idea of any rainfall or snowfall introducing moisture from the ocean. Truth be told, I'd like to see a few noreasters blow through.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts