Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be fishing out of Lexington soon. Any tips for spring salmon and trout? Thinking hot n tots 10-15 fow haven’t done well in the past in spring but have some new ideas like fishing near river and stream mouths.

· Registered
90 Posts
I will be fishing out of Lexington soon. Any tips for spring salmon and trout? Thinking hot n tots 10-15 fow haven’t done well in the past in spring but have some new ideas like fishing near river and stream mouths.
Was also thinking of giving it a try. Never hear any info on Huron side ? Fish just not there or no one fishes there.

· Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was also thinking of giving it a try. Never hear any info on Huron side ? Fish just not there or no one fishes there.
I have heard there are cohos and the occasional king salmon caught shallow during the Easter time frame. I catch steel head and occasionally salmon offshore but never before the water warms to above about 48. I do catch Atlantic’s inshore from time to time.

· Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it’s not lights out, but there are smelt down here so thinking the fish might follow them into the shallow water. Hot n tots this year for me.

· Registered
180 Posts
It's been a lot of years, but I used to run Bomber Long A's in the spring south of Lexington. Most of the fishing was shallow less than 30' using boards. Caught a mixed bag including the occasional walleye. A wonderbread color pattern was the best producer but that was when there were many more smelt in the lake.

· Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Start your season a little further south...fishing out of Port Huron might be a wise choice in the beginning. I'd stay inside of 20fow to start (you might go out deeper, but that certainly wouldn't be my first inclination...let temp tell you where to go) and go as shallow as you feel comfortable. Follow the stained water. Don't be afraid to run body baits in the prop wash where you find water with some stain...cohos! Spoons and body baits (slender body baits), but definitely more body baits. Last year there were several boxes that had 3-4 kings plus some coho per trip for a 2 week span (not me unfortunately). Tight lines and good luck.

· Registered
90 Posts
Start your season a little further south...fishing out of Port Huron might be a wise choice in the beginning. I'd stay inside of 20fow to start (you might go out deeper, but that certainly wouldn't be my first inclination...let temp tell you where to go) and go as shallow as you feel comfortable. Follow the stained water. Don't be afraid to run body baits in the prop wash where you find water with some stain...cohos! Spoons and body baits (slender body baits), but definitely more body baits. Last year there were several boxes that had 3-4 kings plus some coho per trip for a 2 week span (not me unfortunately). Tight lines and good luck.
Around what time is the best 2 weeks just after ice out ?

· Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Around what time is the best 2 weeks just after ice out ?
It really depends on how the water sets up. Once it sets up you gotta hope a strong blow doesn't stir the water up. When that happens, those fish are gone or too scattered to be able to target them with any real chance for success... there's not many in the southern end of the lake. You just have to hope the lake sets up shortly thereafter and head further north towards Harbor Beach.

· Registered
90 Posts
It really depends on how the water sets up. Once it sets up you gotta hope a strong blow doesn't stir the water up. When that happens, those fish are gone or too scattered to be able to target them with any real chance for success... there's not many in the southern end of the lake. You just have to hope the lake sets up shortly thereafter and head further north towards Harbor Beach.
Fishing the east side we have a great fishery in st clair. Fish walleyes and perch for many years. After retirement would like to expand try some thing different it would be nice to catch silvers without heading to lake mi. Just never here much about Lake Huron.

· Premium Member
2,313 Posts
We are planning a weekend trip this April in my 16 footer. I will be keeping a watch on water temps and wind forecasts. Once conditions are right, we will go. Maybe we could meet up out there. Two boats can cover a lot more water than one. It's not crowded out there in the spring like it used to be.

· Registered
90 Posts
We are planning a weekend trip this April in my 16 footer. I will be keeping a watch on water temps and wind forecasts. Once conditions are right, we will go. Maybe we could meet up out there. Two boats can cover a lot more water than one. It's not crowded out there in the spring like it used to be.
Sounds like a good plan I'm interested in learning to fish that area. My plan this year is fish st clair river during the week and try Huron on weekends. Thanks keep in touch.

· Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That’s what I heard too. I’ve caught some Atlantic’s and steel head in shallow before but it was later when the water was about 54.

· Registered
180 Posts
Great information gents. I have finally equipped my walleye boat with manual downriggers and would like to give the Spring Huron trolling bite a try... Not ready for Lake Michigan yet!
Early on, look at a satellite image and target the areas where the creeks enter the lake. With the amount of precipitation I've seen reported (we winter in FL), I would think all those creeks are flowing.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.