Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Nice catch!!!

Looks like a red tail hawk.

Good website for bird ID

upper right corner ,lay cursor on "All about birds" choose "Bird Guide" from the drop down menu

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'll be out this afternoon around Gallup park, woman wants to try out her new kayak and i'm excited to find out if I can still rip out smallmouths like I used to back in college. Hopefully ill have some good pics to report back with!

·
Registered
949 Posts
reporting back - only fished for about an hour due to time constraints with work, lost two 12-15" inch bass right at my feet. Had 5-6 pike at different spots follow my lure all the way to shore but wouldn't hit it. All looked to be chunky, in the 20-30" range. As soon as i tried a figure 8 they shot back out into the water as they noticed my movement. I have not fished these areas for a good 8 or 9 years, and I am sure the bass are still there in good numbers, but what shocked me was the pike. All the hours I spent there in college (08-11) I never caught or had one follow a lure. I did however always hear of them up towards Barton. I am going to have to hit up that stretch of the river more often.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Nice. Last year I'd get the big pikes to hit on ned rigs this time of year, according to one of my old reports, was targeting other species obv but they wanted it slow. Zoom Flukes also are a classic. Hate the bite offs and losing lunkers tho that come with using those techniques...cuz I dont use wire with them cuz bass or other species are the target this time of year.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Caught 2 northern in 30 min at lunch, only 10 and 20 inches. After work in 45 min fished and got 2 smb, 11 and 13ish in, first ones of the year. Fished briefly with a brand new fisherman I met and in his second cast ever hooked and broke off a MONSTER lmb. Lol. Smb were at this spot.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Stopped by for 20 min this morning and got his slightly bigger brother on a swim shad

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I think so. Papermill dam by laforge rd. Bass are holding and very hungry.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Nah. I assume the smb biting there too, only about a mile downstream. Usually see same fishing/species from above ford lake inlet to papermill dam. Each little river section between the Impoundments, and each impoundment itself fishes differently. When water gets 55 Fahrenheit in this section, please take your kids and throw worms on little pink jigheads in the deep holes

I hit geddes today for an hr at lunch, struck out. Talked to a guy who caught a bass and a northern, also a kid maybe 15 said he got a northern. So they were biting....I was just in wrong areas fishing too deep. Was a gamble and I knew it. Didnt pay off.

Hopefully can get out again mon or tue for a bit if weather cooperates...lack of rain ruined steelhead season for me, spent waaay too much time at a dead trib in SW MI cuz I was told it was slam dunk but nothing ever came due to low water... Hope too much rain doesnt ruin this season too.

Reactions: Ypsimax

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Dang. Thanks for the update. Hopefully I can get out there this weekend. Been to Frog Island lately?
Any luck?
I pulled 3 of these in under an hr at lunch, nothing big but fun

Reactions: IT.Fisherman

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Nice. Last year I'd get the big pikes to hit on ned rigs this time of year, according to one of my old reports, was targeting other species obv but they wanted it slow. Zoom Flukes also are a classic. Hate the bite offs and losing lunkers tho that come with using those techniques...cuz I dont use wire with them cuz bass or other species are the target this time of year.
Try just a 25lb flouro carbon leader. Bet your bass would still hit and you'd have much better abrasion resistance if you hook into ol toothy.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Had a biteoff last night fishing a ned rig so put on wire.

Switched to wire since I am low on gear on hand in the car (the rest is in Owosso right now) and the pike had been very aggressive all day...got slammed, about 20 yardage of line ripped off, then nothing...thought she spit the hook. You can see from the photo above the wire leader itself was broken, not at any sort of knot either. Damnit. I wonder how big the beast that did this was?

Reactions: Glock1911

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
View attachment 762167

Had a biteoff last night fishing a ned rig so put on wire.

Switched to wire since I am low on gear on hand in the car (the rest is in Owosso right now) and the pike had been very aggressive all day...got slammed, about 20 yardage of line ripped off, then nothing...thought she spit the hook. You can see from the photo above the wire leader itself was broken, not at any sort of knot either. Damnit. I wonder how big the beast that did this was?
Gar Pike:)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sadly, I wasn't able to make it out this past weekend. Glad you had some luck. What are you catching the pike on?
Any jerk bait will pull em in like wildfire. Neutral colors, or white, typically rule the day in the huron around a2.

Reactions: Ypsimax
21 - 36 of 36 Posts