Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I will start this one off, since I fish the Huron River and its feeder streams and impoundments in the A2 area (and others) quite a lot.

Yesterday during my lunch break I fished a feeder stream. Went to a spot I've got creek chub before, caught 4 large 6-9" chubs in about 8 casts on a tiny hiney tipped with a wax worm under 8 gram float. Kept one of them (about 7") and plan to use him for a big pike in one of the river's impoundments today at lunch. I've only got about 30 min to fish (20 min walk, 10 min drive round trip) so I only will be able to fish 1 spot because I will need to let it soak. However the spot is high percentage for big pike. Wish me luck!

Reactions: concentroutin

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a lot of the impoundment was frozen over, including my 3 or 4 best spots. I did hit up another spot I've caught pike at before but didn't get any. If the weather stays cold no chance anyone will be able to fish the impoundments for a while, since it probably won't be cold enough to get safe ice.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
a lot of the impoundment was frozen over, including my 3 or 4 best spots. I did hit up another spot I've caught pike at before but didn't get any. If the weather stays cold no chance anyone will be able to fish the impoundments for a while, since it probably won't be cold enough to get safe ice.
Hopefully can fish them over the ice soon!!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still open water in the mediocre pike spots lol.. would break thru and drown at the good pike spotsss..
No pike on (fresh plus dead 6 in) creek chub on monday but did stick 2 nice black crappie (11 and 14 inches) on a tiny hiney plus waxy combo under slip bobber set to 9 ft...only 1 hr fished at noon..not bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I stepped about 5 or 6 ft away from shore this morning on one of the Impoundments, ice seemed firm. Exercise caution and avoid areas with current, but I bet someone could ice fish it and get a big ole esox

Reactions: Swampbuckster

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pike are biting on dead creek chubs I got from a tributary before it froze up. 2 flags in an hr yesterday both nice fish around 30 inches, one spit the hook below the hole but I iced the other. 7 feet of water bait set at 6 ft. First time icefishing in over a decade.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Fished a Huron river impoundment with a friend today myself. Had one take on a slammer. Went to grab pole from holder and fish was off. Reset the slammer and right away fish takes the minnow, engages the rod and sets the hook. I fought a decent sized channel cat to the surface just below the ice and ended up getting off just underneath the ice.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fished a Huron river impoundment with a friend today myself. Had one take on a slammer. Went to grab pole from holder and fish was off. Reset the slammer and right away fish takes the minnow, engages the rod and sets the hook. I fought a decent sized channel cat to the surface just below the ice and ended up getting off just underneath the ice.
Man if I had known I woulda stopped by and showed ya where to set one for esox. Did you jig for any crappie? Biggins in there but not a big pop.

I actually almost went today to set even if it was for half hr or 45 min...but elected to work thru lunch instead:geek:

I have two creek chubs left, will try again fri round noonish.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Gave ol Geddes a hardwater try for the elusive GedEye again or anything else that was interested last Friday night. Ended up with my first hook and line Gar. Hit a glow jigging rap and minnow after dark. Thought for sure this was it! Upon pulling it to the top of the hole, see its a gar!. My son says "I saw this big stick come up the hole and thought "That's not a walleye!!" Good times.

One thing I notice however is the scum that accumulates on the line if given any length of time in the water, as in the tipups I was running. Kind of a fibrous algae buildup that turns chalky green after drying. I'd say results of A2s sewage treatment plant but that discharge takes place below Geddes in the Superior portion! :sick:

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
Unfortunate news for Huron River fishers around A2, me being one of them:

Let's hope the snowmelt from the Spring thaws will help wash most of it downstream, even though it's terrible for the entire ecosystem down to Lake Erie.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Real shame....the Impoundments there have been 90% of my fishing since 2013...they have real nice fish too but with more challenges like this will come fewer pike, smb, eyes and crappie, and more carp/suckers....lake above papermill dam already mostly those anyway with few pike/bass....

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Real shame....the Impoundments there have been 90% of my fishing since 2013...they have real nice fish too but with more challenges like this will come fewer pike, smb, eyes and crappie, and more carp/suckers....lake above papermill dam already mostly those anyway with few pike/bass....
You make it sound like that has never happened......lol. Sewage and rivers have gone hand in hand ever since we started 💩.

Reactions: nighttime

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I know, I remember in like 2018 we had a bad sewage spill in a2 as well and it got in the watershed. Just pisses me off A2 acts all progressive and like they are conservators but blatantly allow systematic issues like this...I'm sure the cost of fixing is beyond what anyone would like to pay. Or at least where they want to allocate the money...city officials would rather put it into the university or in their pockets.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yeah I know, I remember in like 2018 we had a bad sewage spill in a2 as well and it got in the watershed. Just pisses me off A2 acts all progressive and like they are conservators but blatantly allow systematic issues like this...I'm sure the cost of fixing is beyond what anyone would like to pay. Or at least where they want to allocate the money...city officials would rather put it into the university or in their pockets.
My wife is employed through their school district.....Trust me I know what you mean!!!:sneaky:

·
Registered
599 Posts
My wife is employed through their school district.....Trust me I know what you mean!!!:sneaky:
Gents, I live and work in A2 and somewhat agree. The university has recently (last 10+years) put tons of dollars towards new on-campus construction (Big House, residence halls, Cardivascular Center, Dental School, etc. etc) but most of their revenue comes from student tuition, private funding (endowments) and grants. Not taxpayer dollars. What is and will majorly impacting the environmental landscape here is all the high end housing construction along, primarily, the downtown area. The city voting populace does lean far left and that means they generally are tree huggers so any legislation that is pro-environment usually goes through. Aside from the whole Gemlan/Pall Corp disaster, which is the cause of PFAS being an issue in the Huron River watershed (which is where we get our drinking water), the river has for the most part remained 'clean' relative to other SE MI watersheds. As far as sewage overflowing into the system, this happens all over, with and without public knowledge, and not nearly on the scale as what occurs on the DR. That is is a much greater issue - it just hurts more when these events happen in your backyard, so to speak.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The pike are hungry in the Impoundments and wont stay off a crappie jig lol. Dinks though. Got two, 20 and 22 inches. Lost what felt like a nice eye...no sign from the crappie.

Reactions: Swampbuckster

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
heartbreak today

had the biggest lmb I've seen in several years follow, 5-6 lb range, and hit about 6 feet from me. Somehow I did not connect. She did not come back.

Fished same spot I hooked the heavy fish I thought was an eye last time...hooked what I presumed was same fish, fought her for over 10min and got her near shore...walleye every bit of 30 inches, biggest I've seen since my double digit out of the Flint River in early 2010s. Biggest ever seen in the huron system also since I started fishing it in 08.... She spit the hook about 5 ft from shore...

Speechless...

Reactions: C.X. and Ypsimax

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, did fish monday evening 1.5 hrs. I did not get any bites surprisingly but talked to a guy who got a bass and a pike. So it ain't just me gettin em.

The guy was a fan of mine though....He said, "there's this guy that posts online that fishes every day here and gets big pike." LOL. Idk about every day. But I know he was talking about me because I dont see anyone that fishes that place as often as me, although there is a ukranian guy I bump into every apr to June though, and he knows it real well and has been fishing it over 20 yrs...he and I would battle for the spots but usually just accept each other and fish side by side now, lol.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Struck out yesterday in an hr. Saw a cool bird. Anybody know species?

Today were 5 nice, green signs of spring landed by myself in less than an hr, from about 2 to 4ish lbs.
Picture of a 2.5 or so lb fatty. Released rest without pic. Already more than half last yrs lmb total and already 2 bigger ones landed.

Saw the big pike in shallow spawning and of course left em alone.

Reactions: detroitjim
1 - 20 of 36 Posts