Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Huron river steelhead 2022/2023

12978 Views 201 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  Swampbuckster
Its almost time. Temps are going the right way now, some leaves are starting to change and salmon are running up north. I've been ready since April for fall to come back around and our steelhead to come back with it.
Water Sky Cloud Boat Vertebrate
141 - 160 of 202 Posts
It's going to be in the 50s next weekend. Hope is not lost.
Sad real winter is here
Current status of the Huron.
Water Sky Plant Snow Natural landscape

Attachments

I truly cannot express how much I unlike those pics. Way too early for a froze up Huron. I do like the warmup coming, hoping it clears out all this damn ice.
It'll be clear by next weekend. It usually takes a lot longer to freeze up than thaw out.
Reactions: Swampbuckster
Hell yeah man! Beautiful pictures! Insane what this polar vortex is doing in a matter of a few days. Locking up rivers and putting 3-4” of ice on lakes just like that. Even if it is short lived, it’s phenomenal!
Reactions: Levelpebble Angler
Crazy how fast things change with mother natures wrath.
Man, that's a long cast.
  • Haha
Anybody see the river? How does she look?
Been out since about 10. Got 1 fish still a lot of shelf to ice. Dodge park launch is still pretty frozen up. About an hour ago the ice burgs started coming and haven’t stopped. Waters on its way up though and better color
On the water from 9-5 today, 1 bite. Fished all over that river and washed a lot of different lures the past 2 days. 0 bites yesterday from noon-5.
Fish Marine biology Ray-finned fish Seafood Fish products
But it’s a pretty stray at least!
or maybe a wild Stony Creek fish:ROFLMAO:
On the water from 9-5 today, 1 bite. Fished all over that river and washed a lot of different lures the past 2 days. 0 bites yesterday from noon-5. View attachment 876061
Reactions: Levelpebble Angler
Fought like a wild fish, made my day. I love seeing airborne chrome and drag peelin.
Reactions: -db-
River has dropped again hope the rain we’re getting tonight and tomorrow has some impact. Still some fish around went 2 for 3 this mornin.
Nice fish. You put in your time for sure. I floated some waxies for about an hour this afternoon, nothing. Was definitely a little saddened at how quick that water dropped.
On the water from 9-5 today, 1 bite. Fished all over that river and washed a lot of different lures the past 2 days. 0 bites yesterday from noon-5. View attachment 876061
Fished today between kids school bus schedule, or from 9 to 2. Hooked up with a skipper within the first 20 minutes on my center pin and spawn under a bobber. Couldn’t get locked up with him after the second time he hit. Had him to the surface the first time. Worked 2 maglips continuously while floating spawn and even some jigs through all of my local haunts. No one was home anywhere else on the river.
Ran into Riverwart, it was nice to finally meet and chat a bit! Hopefully you had something go this morning. Not much else happening on the river. Clarity is almost too much, water is up from its standard 2022 levels however not high by any means. Plenty of flow, I felt it in the air. The fish, not so much. Good luck out there! Levelpebble, Deadly Ted and I are going to put some time in on the Grand tomorrow. Although there are a few fish around, this is definitely not the year of the Huron.
Water Sky Water resources Cloud Tree
Water Sky Water resources Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
It was good to finally run into you as well. I ended my morning on the Huron even less successful than you. Put in around 2 hours total, not 1 bobber down. I agree, river looks great compared to most of last year levels. The fish just are not cooperating. I've had one skipper to show for 8 trips to the Huron this season. It's always been a tough fishery, but come on. I've fished this river since 96' and this by far the slowest it has ever been for me. I'm no expert, but I know what has always produced fish in the past isn't working. I'm thinking the number of fish in the river must be low (stocking numbers, low water, unknown ? ). I'm usually a bobber guy, but gonna go back to the hardware for a while. Lots of tots and spinners just collecting dust in the garage. Good luck to you guys on the Grand ! I got a feeling you're gonna kill em.😁
Stocking numbers are consistent as they always have been at 62k I think. The lack of water didn’t help us. The Huron is an interesting waterway being situated at the mouth of the Detroit river and at the head of the western basin . There are a lot of factors that all have to work together to get fish back and into the Huron. Some years are great some not so much. But I love the fishery through the good and bad
It was good to finally run into you as well. I ended my morning on the Huron even less successful than you. Put in around 2 hours total, not 1 bobber down. I agree, river looks great compared to most of last year levels. The fish just are not cooperating. I've had one skipper to show for 8 trips to the Huron this season. It's always been a tough fishery, but come on. I've fished this river since 96' and this by far the slowest it has ever been for me. I'm no expert, but I know what has always produced fish in the past isn't working. I'm thinking the number of fish in the river must be low (stocking numbers, low water, unknown ? ). I'm usually a bobber guy, but gonna go back to the hardware for a while. Lots of tots and spinners just collecting dust in the garage. Good luck to you guys on the Grand ! I got a feeling you're gonna kill em.😁
Nice day to be out! Really lack of water has hurt us in southeast. Also keep in mind no stocking took place in 2021. So that hurts also. If we keep getting rain things will continue to look up.
This could be a year i get them on the d river at my early walleye spots fingers crossed!!!
141 - 160 of 202 Posts