Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
man… I don’t disagree with people often on here but things must have changed DRASTICALLY since I fished the Clinton hard 10 years ago when I worked in the area. Fished it at least 3 times a week after work in the evenings and most every Saturday after working a half day. That went on for a couple of years just to be outdoors since it was on the way home. I believe I hooked no more than a dozen those couple of years.

I always feel far more confident on the huron myself.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Huron is not what it used to be for steel. Admittedly last season was the best there in 7 years from what i heard....Will get out for an afternoon within next 1.5 weeks and will report.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Spring of 1999 was epic on the Huron. Caught over 30- many on flies I tied and crank baits- and some on wigglers and four pound line in the dead of February
You and i gotta fish together at some point on the huron. Combining your knowledge from late 90's through 2000s and mine from last 10 years could be lethal to the fish

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I spent the last few days fishing the Huron with 1 pike and 1 smallmouth to show for it. The river has over 5ft of visibility right now. I've never seen it this clean and low, doesn't even look like the Huron right now. Steelhead are few and far between and the bulk of the one pod of Ohio strays that came in are at the dam or above it. 18 hours fished on the river for steelhead so far and just 2 small fish landed.
Water Water resources Sky Automotive tire Bridge

Water Plant Sky Boat Tree

Water Water resources Sky Hood Motor vehicle
Water Wood Liquid Twig Freezing

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Thinking about cutting work early on Wednesday day before thanksgiving and guving her a go in the afternoon...hooked one last year doing that lol...i think the snow we have had should bring water up at least a tad and the cold front appears over by then.

Will report.

Reactions: concentroutin

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Water is still at lowest level its been in the 10 years I have lived in Flat Rock. The last rain/snow event changed nothing. The west wind blowing the seiche out actually dropped the water level after the rain. This time last year I would have been totally under water where I took this picture. Water temp yesterday afternoon at the mouth was just under 41°. Still extremely clear water for this river. Over 5' of visibility.
Water Sky Water resources Natural landscape Branch

·
Registered
990 Posts
Those low clear water events are a perfect time to wade, where safe to do so, and clean up the river. I waded Huroc (against the rules, I know) a few years ago when the water was only a foot or so deep and picked up hundreds of dollars worth of tackle (not to mention oddball stuff like tools and other items people toss in the river).

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've been steelhead fishing the Huron since 1995, this is by far the lowest I've ever seen it. It reminds me of Wixom lake after it lost all it's water. Most of it right now is frog water, very little movement. It will definitely freeze over early this season of water levels don't improve. Not a viable steelhead option at this time in my opinion.

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
I saw on the news a week or so ago that we are 9" below average for precipitation in SE Michigan, this year. We weren't way below average in June. We had a super dry summer, and fall so far. We only average 28" of precip/year, here.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Thanksnfor the pic level...think i lost two lures to that log this spring lol

Reactions: Levelpebble Angler

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Went for a walk at Huroc and washed some lures. Every time I look down in the water Im surprised at how clear and low it is right now. I watched a guy make a cast and could see his jig during his whole drift from the walk over bridge. I wanted to yell down to him that there were no fish within a football field of his presentation.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Sigh...work wednesday overtime based on these reports

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Went for a walk at Huroc and washed some lures. Every time I look down in the water Im surprised at how clear and low it is right now. I watched a guy make a cast and could see his jig during his whole drift from the walk over bridge. I wanted to yell down to him that there were no fish within a football field of his presentation.
Just did the same.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts