Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 108 Posts
443 Posts
Yeah have had a hard time believing every unclipped fish is “wild” . Too bad we couldn’t get ALL plants clipped in the entire GL watershed, could definitely get a better feel for wild vs stocked.
I'd think they'd not care too much in steelhead alley as there is such low natural reproduction apart from few creeks in PA & NY. On top of that you'd have to get Canada and all its sporting groups to join and do the same thing. Too many players to get consistent data.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I'd think they'd not care too much in steelhead alley as there is such low natural reproduction apart from few creeks in PA & NY. On top of that you'd have to get Canada and all its sporting groups to join and do the same thing. Too many players to get consistent data.
How about mini wire tags with O for Ohio P Pennsylvania M Michigan C Canada and so on. Be cool to do a few thousand a year see where they end up , like waterfowl bands

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
What would we gain from all the info? Only potential for loss and fingerpointing from the agencies

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
How about mini wire tags with O for Ohio P Pennsylvania M Michigan C Canada and so on. Be cool to do a few thousand a year see where they end up , like waterfowl bands
I’ve mentioned wire coded plants for Erie management fish but seems like biologist don’t care. I’m not sure how many Huron fish head north but know that Clinton fish somewhat spilt the difference. I guess knowing that over 95% of Huron fish come back as stocked they feel like they know the conclusion for that river, and don’t really care so much about lake conclusions down in Erie like they do in Lake Michigan and Huron.
Also feel like biologists would be surprised with information gain if they put coded tags in Clinton fish but again since we are labeled Erie management unit they make the assumption that our fish are from Erie, which isn’t completely accurate.
I shake my head about how many lake Huron river guys are involved in this study, almost wasteful for the moneys put in to it. I think like 50 fish were recorded….
It’s like east guys are trying to hide the resources from the internet when really, it’s hurting the knowledge that this study needs to gain.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I’ve mentioned wire coded plants for Erie management fish but seems like biologist don’t care. I’m not sure how many Huron fish head north but know that Clinton fish somewhat spilt the difference. I guess knowing that over 95% of Huron fish come back as stocked they feel like they know the conclusion for that river, and don’t really care so much about lake conclusions down in Erie like they do in Lake Michigan and Huron.
Also feel like biologists would be surprised with information gain if they put coded tags in Clinton fish but again since we are labeled Erie management unit they make the assumption that our fish are from Erie, which isn’t completely accurate.
I shake my head about how many lake Huron river guys are involved in this study, almost wasteful for the moneys put in to it. I think like 50 fish were recorded….
It’s like east guys are trying to hide the resources from the internet when really, it’s hurting the knowledge that this study needs to gain.
Well 5 of those steelhead were mine :LOL:

·
Registered
34 Posts
First time out this season got my first of the season this mornin pretty little 2 pound chrome bullet came flying out of the water 3 or 4 times. Got a cat fish as well. Lots and lots of leaves this morning didn’t even bother trying any hardware. Got the fish on some fresh coho eggs courtesy of port Sanilac. Still need so much rain and cool weather but it’s a start.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
First time out this season got my first of the season this mornin pretty little 2 pound chrome bullet came flying out of the water 3 or 4 times. Got a cat fish as well. Lots and lots of leaves this morning didn’t even bother trying any hardware. Got the fish on some fresh coho eggs courtesy of port Sanilac. Still need so much rain and cool weather but it’s a start.
Got mine on PS coho spawn as well. 👍
As soon as we get a good soaking rain it'll be game on.

·
Super Moderator
6,324 Posts
I'm gonna have to have one of you school me on the Huron one of these days. My wife and I will be moving downriver to be closer to the family in the very near future. Looking forward to giving it a go and learning a new river. I hear the smallmouth action is really, really good.

·
Super Moderator
6,324 Posts
Smallmouth and pike are plentiful steelhead not so much lol but they do make an appearance
I figure if I do catch steel I'll just consider myself lucky lol. One of my friends used to fly fish the Huron often and pulled a lot of really nice carp and smallies. He lives out of state now otherwise I'd tag along and learn.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Pike fishing is great in the river, decent smallie river but does not compare to the flint - i also do better in irish hills area too for smb...you will get into em but way overrated imo.
Steelhead fishing not as good as the clinton but you can get a few if you put time in and learn a few spots

41 - 60 of 108 Posts