Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the Huron River between Ann Arbor and Dexter as the sun was going down. I was wet wading up to my waist, throwing a Size 0 Mepps Comet or Aglia I forgot. White and red blade with white bucktail. I cast upstream just behind a fallen log and bang! An 18" pike hit hard and was headed straight for me. I am not real experienced fishing in rivers, and I panicked a little because I didn't want those teeth in my leg. I reeled him in and the fish was very blue in color. I have never seen a pike so blue. I also caught two very fat bluegill on the Mepps and also a size 5 original floating Rapala in shad. All fish released. Awesome night. I left at dark because I was afraid the pike would come and get me!

·
Administrator
35,719 Posts
That sure sounds like fun. But no smallies? I thought that was what that streach was known for.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve, I thought so too, that smallies are the ticket in this area. I have never had the pleasure of catching a smallie so was looking forward to the opportunity. However the fat bluegills I caught did a little dance for me! I think the Huron is a very competitive environment, hence the fish who survive are very aggressive. Also, the Huron River Watershed Council measured the insect species count in several places on this stretch and the number of insect families is higher than ever. That's great news for the fish. The water flow is more than twice its mean for this time of year. I hope the water goes down a bit so I can wade a little more easily and get closer to the holes.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I don't know about what lures work for smallies on the Huron but I have done fairly well in the past on a chartreuse rooster tail (I believe it was the 1/8 oz size but it was a while ago). I have done well with this in rivers and also pulled a real nice smallie (probably should be hanging on my wall) out of Kent Lake near Kensington. One guy who was nearby said he fished Lake Erie a lot for smallies and never saw one that large. I never measured it but probably was around 20" and maybe 5 or 6 pounds. Caught it off the west side of the lake near one of the piers they have there.

Good Luck.

John

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fished the Huron River again this afternoon in between the wicked thunderstorms and aluminum hatches. Got two nice largemouth and one big fat sunfish. Lures were size 5 floating Rapala in shad, gred (gold and red) Rooster Tail, and squirrel tail size 0 Mepps. All fish released. Water was pleasant, as it was hot and muggy, and wet wading was a nice refresher. Lost two lures to maple trees. I hate when I do that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts