Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished with my son tonight, and he invited his friend to come along. We hit a spot which has in the past produced some hawg smallies and a few nice pike. I set three lines, each with a crawler, sinker and floating jig head. The bait was about 12" off the bottom. The boys practiced casting with rapalas, then they switched to a hook with a piece of worm, and a large split shot.

Fishing from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m., I had nibbles all night. Finally I hooked and landed a fat 8" rock bass. The neighbor boy hooked a nice fighting smallie, his rod was bent in half and he couldn't turn the reel! It was fun. We beached the fish, it was about 12"; he caught it on a piece of worm.

My son got skunked, but he didn't mind. Normally he outfishes dad, but this time I redeemed myself! ;) Water temp was about 68 deg., air temp mid 60s, light breezes and mostly clear skies. There were bugs on the water and in the air. Some size 14 something-or-others and also what looked to be size 24 ephorons. Nice to get out on a the river, I have not been visiting it as regularly as I used to. Big water seems to have most of my fishing attention lately.

p.s. Water is way down on the Huron, typical for this time of year. USGS says 66 cu.ft./s, which is 1/3 of the "normal" flow.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Thanks for the report.

I was on the lower river today during the downpour. Check those charts again, there's a huge spike for today. Hopefully all this rain will get a couple salmon moving upstream.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Not in AA, but from Lk. Erie up to Belleville you can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts