Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
On the Huron? Hopefully you have some current to woggle those map lips!
Yes sir .I appreciate the advice you gave me two ended up picking up a couple cheaper trolling rods and some Cabela’s depth master with the counters on them . Worst case guess I could run flat fish in the slow or water or troll never been so it’ll be a learning curve

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Perhaps I will get there one day. I enjoy being on the river in the winter however and its really not so much about the fish. Dont get me wrong, I really do enjoy a successful trip but if I put a fish or two in the boat, that is successful enough for me. I try to pair my trips with hot coffee, venison based hot lunches and dark beers, Hot coffee, and good conversations. Even after a trip without a fish, I'm chomping at the bit to get back out and do it all over again.

Reactions: brian0013

·
Registered
111 Posts
I gave the Huron a try pretty much all day Saturday put in at Dodge and almost ran all the way up to Flatrock. Fished Plugs, Jig's and Waxies, Bottom Bounced spawn and never had a bite. The water was 33 degrees when i started and went up to 35 while we were there and thought maybe that would help things out but, never did. I also talked with 4 other boats and nobody else had fish either. The water is really low and clear right now. we need some rain hopefully to get things going again. Sunday i went up and fished the dam from the bank thinking there might be some fish there but another goose egg for me. There was probably 5 or 6 other people fishing the Dam and Coffer dam and no fish for anybody else.
dam.jpg

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I gave the Huron a try pretty much all day Saturday put in at Dodge and almost ran all the way up to Flatrock. Fished Plugs, Jig's and Waxies, Bottom Bounced spawn and never had a bite. The water was 33 degrees when i started and went up to 35 while we were there and thought maybe that would help things out but, never did. I also talked with 4 other boats and nobody else had fish either. The water is really low and clear right now. we need some rain hopefully to get things going again. Sunday i went up and fished the dam from the bank thinking there might be some fish there but another goose egg for me. There was probably 5 or 6 other people fishing the Dam and Coffer dam and no fish for anybody else. View attachment 630015
When Fishdoctor ain't catching Huron river steelhead, something is seriously wrong :confused:

·
Registered
293 Posts
I gave the Huron a try pretty much all day Saturday put in at Dodge and almost ran all the way up to Flatrock. Fished Plugs, Jig's and Waxies, Bottom Bounced spawn and never had a bite. The water was 33 degrees when i started and went up to 35 while we were there and thought maybe that would help things out but, never did. I also talked with 4 other boats and nobody else had fish either. The water is really low and clear right now. we need some rain hopefully to get things going again. Sunday i went up and fished the dam from the bank thinking there might be some fish there but another goose egg for me. There was probably 5 or 6 other people fishing the Dam and Coffer dam and no fish for anybody else. View attachment 630015
Thanks for the report Fishdoctor. It's definitely been running low for a while now, hardly any flow. Many hours put in for the few that I've hooked this winter. Just when I think I've got something figured out I'll go fishless 5 trips in a row. A challenging river for sure. Good luck next time!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Thats why Mother Nature gave us Bluegills, Rabbits Etc. -Etc.. Go when its good...

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
I enjoy being on the river in the winter however and its really not so much about the fish. Dont get me wrong, I really do enjoy a successful trip but if I put a fish or two in the boat,
Yea I'm a late comer and I'm not reading through eight pages. But I've gone out and had a truly enjoyable time fishing, just exactly what I needed, and brought home a GOOSE EGG!!!

Yes, netting a fish or two is nice. But it's just icing on the cake of what would be a truly great time even without them!

Reactions: MickL

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Reading all of this really has me wondering what is going on. The same thing is being discussed on the NE rivers page about the dismal returns on the AuSable. Before the alewife crash the steelhead fishing on the lower stretch was phenomenal. Now it's very hit and miss.

The general consensus is that the natural predators (walleye and lake trout) have increased in numbers are are lining up to take advantage of the easy meals. If I'm not mistaken the DNR release the Huron Steelhead in April and guess what other fish is already in the river? Once they get past those fish there are several million walleye waiting for them in lake Erie that are pigging out after they got done spawning.

I don't think anyone will disagree that several years ago the fishing was a lot better in the Huron. The only correlation I can see is the walleye population exploding in Erie at about the same time.

Then again I could just have my head up my butt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Reading all of this really has me wondering what is going on. The same thing is being discussed on the NE rivers page about the dismal returns on the AuSable. Before the alewife crash the steelhead fishing on the lower stretch was phenomenal. Now it's very hit and miss.

The general consensus is that the natural predators (walleye and lake trout) have increased in numbers are are lining up to take advantage of the easy meals. If I'm not mistaken the DNR release the Huron Steelhead in April and guess what other fish is already in the river? Once they get past those fish there are several million walleye waiting for them in lake Erie that are pigging out after they got done spawning.

I don't think anyone will disagree that several years ago the fishing was a lot better in the Huron. The only correlation I can see is the walleye population exploding in Erie at about the same time.

Then again I could just have my head up my butt.
I think your on to something. The walleye are definantly in prime position in april/may to eat up all those smolt released in the Huron. These little guys don't stand a chance against those big hungry post spawn Erie eyes.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like trolling the Huron in the spring so my little ones can catch a little bit of everything. This particular day they caught 5 or 6 smolt along with a few walleye and smallmouth.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Actually I started in 2016 fall on the huron...got like 3 steelies in 3 trips....since then, despite knowing the river better and being a better steelie angler, I've got 2 in like 25 trips...havent even seen one from the river since 2018.

Imo the huron when I started is better than any stream I fished this season, the rogue, the grand, other tribs in the grand...I mean everything is totally, completely dead. Should be no reason I've put in over 100 hrs on the river this fall/winter to not even get a bite, something is seriously wrong.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Actually I started in 2016 fall on the huron...got like 3 steelies in 3 trips....since then, despite knowing the river better and being a better steelie angler, I've got 2 in like 25 trips...havent even seen one from the river since 2018.

Imo the huron when I started is better than any stream I fished this season, the rogue, the grand, other tribs in the grand...I mean everything is totally, completely dead. Should be no reason I've put in over 100 hrs on the river this fall/winter to not even get a bite, something is seriously wrong.
I agree, I spent about 25 hours on the Huron between late Oct. Early Nov. Only 1 hit while plugging hit the bank a few times no hits at all. Took a trip to the big man late October and had just 1 hit plugging in 3 days of hard fishing. Everyone ive talked to this fall/winter has had about the same luck. Little to nothing. That's why I've been doing alot of perch fishing lol

·
Registered
564 Posts
Lol. I targeted crappie already once this yr
...first time to Target them in 15 yrs ha

101 - 120 of 133 Posts