Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the upcoming steelhead season soon to be upon us, figured I’d put out this alert here: the Ranger Station in Baldwin is not selling the annual Recreation Pass on site (tried to buy one today). That’s contrary to what the website still says: Huron-Manistee National Forests - Recreation Passes & Permits
You can call in and order with your credit card, or try the mail-in option (no guarantee there, I didn’t verify with the guy that opened the window today).

Plan ahead, order before you head to the rivers. I get it, we’re living in COVID, but I’m still annoyed the Federal Government is not accepting actual cash currency. Does this mean I don’t have to pay at the fee pipe? I’m guessing they would have no problem writing out a ticket...

Mike

·
Registered
573 Posts
The real question is, are steelhead there yet?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've always called and ordered them over the phone. They mail them out in a couple of days.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I'd probably call and make arrangements to pick up the tag, if it was a reasonable distance for me. If not, you can get them from any USFS office.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd probably call and make arrangements to pick up the tag, if it was a reasonable distance for me. If not, you can get them from any USFS office.
The point of my post was no, you cannot get them from the USFS office right now. Plan ahead and order them, or pay the daily fee at the launch.

·
Registered
678 Posts
With the upcoming steelhead season soon to be upon us, figured I’d put out this alert here: the Ranger Station in Baldwin is not selling the annual Recreation Pass on site (tried to buy one today). That’s contrary to what the website still says: Huron-Manistee National Forests - Recreation Passes & Permits
You can call in and order with your credit card, or try the mail-in option (no guarantee there, I didn’t verify with the guy that opened the window today).
View attachment 752833
Plan ahead, order before you head to the rivers. I get it, we’re living in COVID, but I’m still annoyed the Federal Government is not accepting actual cash currency. Does this mean I don’t have to pay at the fee pipe? I’m guessing they would have no problem writing out a ticket...

Mike
My buddy and I got ours mailed from the Baldwin field office. The Whitetail party store in Wellston also has them.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
The point of my post was no, you cannot get them from the USFS office right now. Plan ahead and order them, or pay the daily fee at the launch.
Hmmm, the picture is of a sign that clearly states, "you can call our office number at 231-745-4631 and we will take your credit card information over the phone, and mail them to you, or we can make arrangements for you to pick them up."

Maybe I mis-interpreted that as you being able to make arrangements to pickup your USFS pass from a USFS office? What am I missing about this? I get that you drove there, and weren't able to walk in and purchase the pass. I'd probably have tried to call from the parking lot, while I was there, to see if I could make that work a little faster. ;)

·
Registered
678 Posts
View attachment 752833

Mike
The Whitetail party store in Wellston has them. I’d call ahead to make sure their not sold out.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm, the picture is of a sign that clearly states, "you can call our office number at 231-745-4631 and we will take your credit card information over the phone, and mail them to you, or we can make arrangements for you to pick them up."

Maybe I mis-interpreted that as you being able to make arrangements to pickup your USFS pass from a USFS office? What am I missing about this? I get that you drove there, and weren't able to walk in and purchase the pass. I'd probably have tried to call from the parking lot, while I was there, to see if I could make that work a little faster. ;)
The guy at the window wouldn’t play ball. Just a heads up for anyone else that was thinking they could pick them up there...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts