Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Huntsman27 and myself set out in search of Chuck today. As we went around the barns we spied our first whistle pig a few yards into a field. I laid down and started trying to wiggle into position for a shot. Just as I got a clear view the chuck busted me and ran towards a pile of old telephone type poles.

I lost sight of the varmint but figured he would re-appear. Then I spotted him clinging to the side of the pile of poles like a squirrel on the side of a tree. I didn't waste any time in lining up on him and sending the 50 grain Nosler ballistic tip on it's way. At the shot I saw the vermin fly off the pole but wasn't sure if it was a good hit or not. We walked the 75 yards or so to the pile and sure enough he was piled up dead. This one weighed in at 6 pounds 12 ounces.

After ditching the carcass we worked our way across the field until we hit a fence row. We started down the fencerow towards a stand of woods in the middle of the section. As we got near the end of the fence row, Rich spotted another Chuck high tailing it through the adjacent field. That one made it to the creek bank and disapeered before we could get a shot. We waited for a short time but it never came out so we pressed on.

We crossed the creek and scared off a couple wood ducks before heading to the woods. We cut through the woods and started glassing the other side of the field. Seeing nothing we stepped out and started walking the edge of the woods. Every few steps we would glass the edges. Finally Rich spotted what looked like a large den in the hillside that borders the far edge of the field. A bit more looking and he spotted the dens occupant standing on top of the hill studying us 188 yards away. No safe shot as the hog was skylined. Eventually we pressed on as the hog continued to watch us.

I thought I spotted another chuck about 300 (or more) yards away but we never were able to confirm it.

All in all it was a good afternoon to hike around the farm. The farmer was glad to hear we managed to smoke at least one. Heres a pic......

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Good work, yeah someone should step in and help him out, sounds like he was having too much fun on his own trying to save the farmer from the attack from woodchucks haha.... nice shooting and way to think twice before letting one fly off into the unknown on that one chuck.... no woodchuck is worth risking a shot these days with all the houses going up all over... i cant wait to try some prarie dogs out west where you can shoot for miles without hitting any houses... congrats on a seccessful day in the field.
-Craig

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Good looking Chuck you got there!
Great Job.

Mike

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Actually, it was good marksmanship on WS`s part. While he was figiting around I was watching the chuck make his get away. I thought it had made a safe get away.
Then WS stood and took aim, and snapped off a round. As we pressed closer, I figured he had missed. Then we came upon a motionless chuck quickly dispatched with an excellent delivered 50 gr Noser.
I figured it about 75 yards or so. Was glad to see WS get his 1st chuck of the year.
The 2nd one was huffing fast for his den and truly, I dont think we had a chance of gunning that one down short of full auto:lol: !
I was hopeful, carrying the new Rem 700 HB varmint 243 Id get a chance at one and KO one with the 70 gr Nosler B-tip. While I am sure I could have taken the one at 188 we saw on the railroad berm, it was an issue of safety and we couldnt get a safe angle anyway we would have tried. So it was a stalemate and we just traded gestures!
Hopefully this weekend will hit the 70 degree mark and maybe we will get some action to report back on.
Also---WS?? did the other picture come out too? need to post that if it did.
Good luck guys if you get out! I see we have rain today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts