Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you have a favorite hunting story you might want to share with us ? Funny or Other wise.

While we was elk hunting in Colorado we was camping in a giant wall tent. Bill was SCARED to death of snakes. He would always come in from hunting and would come in and sit on his cot take off his boots and put his slippers on. The next year Roy brought a rubber snake and some monofiliment fishing line to the annual Elk camp. Well when Bill was out hunting Roy took about 2 feet of monofiliment line and tied that ruber snake to his slipper. Bill came in that afternoon and you guessed it when he put his slippers on and started walking someone hollered and Bill seen it . he took off running right out of the tent. Everyone just roared. It took a long time for Bill to calm down. On the way home some one ask bill how far he ran before he stopped he said almost Mexico LOL. One last thing we Never did tell Bill WHO did that to him !!!! I am not sure he knows to this day but the group has longe since broke up.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
thats pretty funny...umm...my story..nothing really has appened good to me while i was hunting so i dont have any...o wait...once i was hutning and we slept in are van...at about 2:00 it got to be 12 degrees..man was it cold.

------------------
Stelmon, the only one.
Keep those bullets flying and reels screamen

·
Banned
694 Posts
OK, here it is.
My dad is now 75 years old, and has hunted since the beginning of time. The reason that he has only two deer to his credit, is that he is the worlds worst shot. He couldn't shoot his own foot if the barrel of the gun was resting on the top of his shoe.
My first year in the woods with Dad was in 1974. I was 14, and being raised in the inner city, I was street smart, but not very woods wise. I think that it was for this reason that Dad set me just over the hill from him when we got out that opening day, and told me not to wander anywhere.
Dad couldn't shoot worth a darn, but he sure could save a penny. He had two slugs left from a box that he had bought 20 years previously. He saw no reason to spend all that money on a new box of slugs, so he just took the two.
At 10:30 AM, Dad sat there with a partially loaded gun, and a fully loaded intestinal track. He couldn't wait Mother nature out any longer, so he walked a ways from his tree, leaned his gun against another tree, and exposed his most tender side to the north wind.
Sitting just over the hill, I was beginning to understand why Dad had never gotten a deer. There were none in the woods! I hadn't seen squat all morning, and decided to go see what Dad had been seeing. (ya kinda see where this is going don't ya).
I must have pushed the spike over Dads way, because just before I got there, I hear WHAM...WHAM...TOM!...TOM!.
I went running over the hill, and years of therapy won't wipe the sight that filled my eyes. There stood the ole man with his wool trousers bunched around his ankles. He was bending over trying to pull them up. Now I WAS seeing squat. The only thing that kept me from from running back in the direction that I came from, was the sight of that spike horn trying to get back up!
Dad got his pants up and shouted "I'm out of slugs!". I quickly ran over and put the deer down.
After making sure that the deer was dead, Dad said "stay here. I gotta go finish something". When he got back he said "This will be good experience for you."
He made me gut it out.
By time we left for home, he had regained his composure, and he began to spin his yarn.
His shot was only a 30 yarder, and his first slug hit the snow 10 yards in front of the deer. The second shot hit the spine.
He said "Yep, that buck was on the move and knew that the best way to stop him was to fire off the 1st shot and give hima startle, and that's exactly what he did, he stopped dead in his tracks. I knew that I only had one shot left, and it had to count, so I aimed right for the spine, and down he went".
I was green, but not that green. I also knew better than to tell the ole man that he was telling a whopper, so I spent weeks listening to the story getting better and better.
Dad's getting pretty old now, but he still likes to hunt. So, every year I 4 wheel him out to his spot on my brother inlaw's farm. I hunt a ways out of his shooting range, but where I can still see him.
Three years ago, we were hunting in a strong wind. I heard a shot, but wasn't sure if Dad fired it off. He wasn't waving or any thing, so I sat back down. A couple min. later, I can see him shuffeling out my way, and he looked pretty shook up. I waved him back, and my son and I ran over to him.
We all reached his deer at the same time. Here's this huge 10 point, grunting like a pig, and desperatly trying to get up. Yup, Dad had nailed another one in the spine. I said "Dad, shoot him!" At 15 yards, he drew down on the grunting buck, and cleanly missed. I pulled my 44 and finished the buck off.
I said "Wow Dad, what a buck". He was grinning ear to ear. I asked, "Were your pants up when you shot him?" He didn't find that to be as funny as my son and I did.
He made me gut it out.
All the kids pitched in together and had it mounted. Dad was too cheap to even consider spending that kind of money on a taxidermist. He was going to hang the antlers in the garage.
I'm so glad that we mounted it for him. It hangs straight across from his chair, and we often hear the story of how he shot it. That story no longer has much truth in it any more, so when he starts getting carried away, I start in on him. "Dad, you never killed a deer in your life". "Oh? What do you call that on the wall?" I say "I killed that with my 44 remember? Just like I killed that little spike in 74".
For an old man, he can still grab a hand full of beard in a hurry.

[This message has been edited by Tom222 (edited 12-02-2000).]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks tom222 we all appreciate hearing some of those touching stories
i am glad you can share that quality time with your fater still hunting and all .

·
Registered
172 Posts
tom,

That story had me rollin. I can just picture you coming up to your dad and that spike, with his pants around his knees. Thanks for the great story.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Tom222- That's an excellent story. I made my girlfreiend read it to try and show her what deer camp is all about. She just smiles and wanders away mumbling something about needing help. Oh well, I really enjoy reading the 'deer camp stories', please keep them up!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Opening day of gun season 1981. I was 14 and this was my first time out deer hunting with a gun. I had a single shot H & R shotgun. It has a button next to the hammer to open the breech. I hear some shots not to far away and get ready. In comes this buck running. There was no dought in my mind that I was going to get a shot. I was watching the buck and reached down with my thumb to pull the hammer back and....click out pops the slug. I hit the breach open button by mistake. I fumbled around trying to get the shell as the buck turned and ran off.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Pity...Just Kidding..I havent even got a shot...I remember seeing wooden people out hunting and a wooden deer...That was the joke of the week...

------------------
Stelmon, the only one.
Make sure you know what your shooting @ and knock it dead and keep those reels screamen

·
Banned
694 Posts
Hang in there Stelmon. I went 15 years without getting a shot. My dad taught me to find a woods, and sit there with a gun until a deer walked by.
At thge age of 31, I finally grew up and stopped beer hunting, and began deer hunting.
I read every peice of literature that I could get my hands on. Scrapes, rubs, bottle necks, Rutting behaviour, you get the drift.
Starting that year, I've taken 16 deer, and that was 10 years ago.
Hook up with people who hunt in your area. Die hard deer hunters (avoid the beer hunters). Before you know it, you will be stuffing you face with venison, and telling your own stories.
Good luck

[This message has been edited by Tom222 (edited 12-04-2000).]

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
When I was in my early 20's my older brother and I were deer hunting in the UP. I was down in a cedar swamp before daylight on opening day. Just as it got light enough to see, a buck came sneaking through. When I shot, he dropped in a heap but jumped back up and ran off. I trailed the blood for a hundred yards or so and saw a set of antlers on the other side of a log. I set my gun down, pulled my knife out, and stepped over the log to field dress it. As soon as I did he jumped up again. But I grabbed an antler and stuck the knife in his throat killing him. After I had settled down and began to field dress him, I looked about 10 yards beyond and saw the buck that I had shot laying there dead!!!

------------------
Take a Kid Hunting!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW THANKS :)))

Kind of brings a new meaning to
"HAVING YOUR HANDS FULL"

·
Registered
840 Posts
OK,here is one. The very first time deer hunting, dont remember the year, i went with about 4-5 friends and hunted for 2 days. Never saw a deer and the last day we came in about an hour before sunset. We were by a friends cabin and got talking about how good of shots we were, first mistake. So, about 25 yds away was a small tree, about2" around...know where i am going with this? Thats right we took turns shooting at this tree. It was in a safe area where there target shoot anyways. So by the time each guy hit it we were out of shells, No big deal we were done hunting for the year anyways or so we thought!! within 5 min. of the last round going off just try to take a guess at what we saw? You guys/girls are GOOD! Yes we saw a buck about 70-80yards away. If, and i say IF we wound have stayed in are spots............. Never did that again!

------------------
HAPPY AND SAFE HUNTING TO ALL.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just a quick one that happened thiss year. I'm sitting in my blind one afternoon when a deer comes into view. I check it out in my scope and see that it's a 6 point buck. I take a deep breath, draw a bead, and atart to squeeze... As the shot goes off, my chair breaks and I go over backwards in the blind. I was aiming for the neck when the shot went but was sure I missed high when I fell backwards. I went to look anyway ,just in case, and was amazed to find hair. I then followed the runway that I thought the deer took when there it was laying all in a heap. I discovered while gutting it out that while I had gone for a neck shot, I had taken it through the heart. I'd rather be lucky than good any day!

·
Registered
97 Posts
My first year of deer hunting and i was sitting on top of a hill with my dad. It was the coldest morning that i can remember and the wind was blowing right through me. After only seeing a couple does all morning i was getting antsy. My dad said i should walk down the other side of the hill maybe i'll see a deer. So i get up and start walking, I didn't get more then 10 feet from the blind when I hear BANG! I ran up the hill and my dad was standing over a nice 6 pt not 30 yards from the blind. He still swears that he didn't see it till i left and didn't want to scare it away by trying to get my attention! I ended up with a 5 pt the next day so I wasn't too mad.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Once upon a time, a long time ago - there was a princess named HOPE. She was the talk of the kingdom. Wrapped in her deerskin skirt, she would run with a spear at on coming deer. (LOL) .....

Okay, true story is what you want to hear I take it... :) Let me get back to you on this, Its past my bedtime - I will have more time to write tomorrow. :)

------------------
The most wild, crazy, shootin' gal in Mid-Michigan! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I first started hunting when I was 16. Not with my father, but with my (at the time) future father-in-law. My parents we're never really outdoors people. I learned a lot from my parents, but I learned everything about hunting from my father-in-law. I shot my first buck (a four point) with him and took my first deer with a bow (a spike). I have so many memories of hunting with him.
Ex.
1. Tenting in 15 degrees in the month of December.
2. Hunting nearly every weekend and the countless jokes and stories that we're told.
3. Simple getting to know a man outside of the family household.
4. I was also the one that was hunting with him when I shot a ten point. His largest deer in 40 years of hunting.

All of these things are past memories and will probably never happen again. Almost 6 years ago I divorced his daughter. No matter my relationship with him it could not fix the marriage.

We has parents are always thinking of our own children. Don't forget your in-laws. I am the person I am today because a in-law didn't forget about me.

Don

------------------
Sticks and Rocks

·
Registered
20 Posts
In 1983 we had just moved to the UP and I was pumped up about hunting. I had been using a 30-30 and had missed a few deer due to acute buck fever. I decided that I needed a scope on the ole girl so I put one on her. Opening evening I'm sitting in my log blind when a spike walks into my bait pile at about 40 yards. I drew a careful beed and had the cross hairs on him dead center. I carefully squeezed the trigger and blam. The deer just looked at me for a second and trotted off. I looked on in disbelief. How could I have missed it??? After about five minutes of stunned muttering I looked down. Guess what. I had shot the top log of my blind. The scope was over but not the barrel. But wait there is more. I said that is never going happen to me again. So I moved the log in so I had to rest the gun on it before shooting. The next afternoon a four point walks in on my right. I went to swing the gun to cover him and . . . yes you guessed it . . . I hit that stupid log with the barrel of my gun and made such a clatter that all I saw of that buck was his tail as he left in a hurry. My dad and brother both had good laughs over that and still bring it up about every deer season. Ya know what? I still don't think it was all that funny.

Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MIke : Your not looking at it from our VIEW POINT :)) LOL
thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts