Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an area on a river that I hunt before gun season begins and was thinking I would like to hit it tomorrow morning. My question is, do any of you public areas like this and have success with out worrying if a Hunter might mistake you as a deer? Maybe I’m being a little paranoid but my son would love to go and just not sure if I should risk it or not.

·
Registered
97 Posts
When I hunt public land, I always try to get there first to see and hear when other hunters come In and out. I know some of you guys here will say" you can't see everyone" and you are right. I do see and hear most, not everyone. If I see someone come in and they set up in "my area" so to speak, I realize it's public land- I leave. I do not want confrontation, I just leave and go down the road to where there are no cars or truck parked. I wear as much hunter orange as I can and also hang an old hunter orange shirt on the top of my ground blind. I also try not to set up near shooting lanes that I am aware of. I would go out first or with a buddy before I took my kid out. Sometime bringing kids takes the focus off what's around you and you could miss somebody setting up near you. I have had a few chats with guys in the parking lots on state land and talked about where we were both going to be. If someone came walking by and spotted me, I would also let them know where the other guys are too. I hunted state land for the past 7 years and finally bought some property up north. I always enjoyed the "thrill " of hunting state land. Trying to get there first, not hanging trail cams and knowing when and where they are going to be, packing lunch, taking a gamble on if the 2 hr drive and sitting all day. Going home most of the time empty handed. A bit of a long post, but bottom line is I say go out today with no kid and see how it looks, and take your son out tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Just don't walk into a parking lot carrying a strap full of ducks when deer hunters are hanging out talking around their trucks. I found that created a lot more interest in the holes I once thought the locals ignored.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts