Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you only one caliber to choose to hunt any large game in michigan what would it be and why

looking to buy a new hunting rifle for deer season and i looking for a round that i can hunt any large game in michigan with....

·
Registered
792 Posts
This is a MIGHTY BIG CAN O WORMS your gonna open LOL:yikes:
I will try and beat most to the punch, anything from roughly a .223 to a .338 would do well here in michigan. Going to depend IMO on where you hunt (open fields, swamps, thick cover) Knowing that will help make more of a decision than what caliber is necessary...

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Remington Model 700 CDL in 30-06. Topped with the best scope you can afford, sighted in 1" high at 100 with 165 grain CoreLokts.

Covers you for everything. Maybe step up to 180 Partitions if you ever draw an elk tag.

Good looking gun too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
30-06 it's a winner in Michigan for all types of shooting, then you can take it out of Michigan and hunt really big game.
110 gr bullets-varmits
150-165 gr-Michigan deer and black bear
180-220gr-elk, moose, griz etc.
The other aspect to consider is ammo availability: 30-06 is stocked by all sporting goods stores, mom and pop gas stations not to mention reloaders.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
I was in the same boat earlier this summer. After talking to numerous people, doing numerous reading about this. I decided that 30-06 is the best way for me. So that is what I got.

I mean you have 270, 308, 30-06, 30-30, 7mm, 243, 300, 223, The list goes on and on and on. I debated over months on the .270, 308, and 30-06.

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
If you like to shoot then doing a little research into the cost per round is important. Get into magnum and exotic rounds and you're shooting costs go up quickly, especially for someone that doesn't reload. I have a couple Weatherby's, but I don't shoot Weatherby calibers because of the cost per round.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
If you like to shoot then doing a little research into the cost per round is important. Get into magnum and exotic rounds and you're shooting costs go up quickly, especially for someone that doesn't reload. I have a couple Weatherby's, but I don't shoot Weatherby calibers because of the cost per round.
And my .257 WBY is not..........so cost is NOT a factor. Its only a factor if you suck at accuracy.........plain and simple. Or buy a 30-30 and youll be ahead of the game there for you poor UP people. My god its almost as bad as the indigent in Detroit..............:lol:

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
And my .257 WBY is not..........so cost is NOT a factor. Its only a factor if you suck at accuracy.........plain and simple. Or buy a 30-30 and youll be ahead of the game there for you poor UP people. My god its almost as bad as the indigent in Detroit..............:lol:
I tend to punch more holes in targets than tipping over game. I don't recall ever needing more than one shot on a whitetail, the past few years I've averaged two deer a year, two shots a year at whitetail, probably 30 into paper per year for that 30-06.

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Btw this week Dunham's is running core-lokt ammo for $14.99 with a $5.00 rebate from Remington final cost $9.99. .270, .308, and 30-06. 30-30 on sale for $11.99 with a $5.00 rebate final cost $6.99. I use Nosler partitians for hunting and the core-lokt for paper.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
I load my own .257 WBY with Partitions and highly doubt Ill use the 50 rounds before 2040........ That might seem a stretch to you that only shoot 300 yards. But to those of us that shoot further a drop in the Prairie.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
If I could just have one from a factory, it would probably be a Remington Mod 7 in either .308 or 7mm-08, stainless/synthetic with a Leupold 1.5-6x32mm VXIII scope. I want to build the same rifle in .338 Federal though since Big Green refuses to acknowledge the 247 emails I've sent asking for such from the factory!:D

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Btw this week Dunham's is running core-lokt ammo for $14.99 with a $5.00 rebate from Remington final cost $9.99. .270, .308, and 30-06. 30-30 on sale for $11.99 with a $5.00 rebate final cost $6.99. I use Nosler partitians for hunting and the core-lokt for paper.

I am going to run up to dunhams near my house. Thanks for this info.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts

Sib is our official ammo deal finder!! Too bad I don't have a Dunhams near me! I picture a walk in safe in Sibs basement that is stocked plum full of ammo!! I know darn well as soon as he walks into any Meijer in the state, all cameras are immediately focused on him.....I mean come on, regular guys don't buy their ammo by the cart load at Meijer!!:D:D Kidding ofcourse...smart man to stock up now when the price is right! And save that Weatherby ammo, who knows someday you might want to go on an elk hunt, you can sell one of those Weatherby boxes of ammo on Craigslist to fund your hunt!! :lol: Take the .06 on the hunt!

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
If I could just have one from a factory, it would probably be a Remington Mod 7 in either .308 or 7mm-08, stainless/synthetic with a Leupold 1.5-6x32mm VXIII scope. I want to build the same rifle in .338 Federal though since Big Green refuses to acknowledge the 247 emails I've sent asking for such from the factory!:D
I'd agree with the 7mm-08 but with a larger scope would be a pretty good Michigan big game rifle. I'd go with a Kimber montana instead of the model 7, though.

I have a model 7 stainless/synthetic in .260 Remington topped with a VxIII - 4 x 12. I would not hesitate to use it on any deer or Elk.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I could easily get by with a Kimber Montana as well!!! I prefer smaller scopes on small rifles, but it is purely a personal preference. I could move up to a 2.5-8x36mm VXIII or a Kahles 2-7x36mm and be just as happy though!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I load my own .257 WBY with Partitions and highly doubt Ill use the 50 rounds before 2040........ That might seem a stretch to you that only shoot 300 yards. But to those of us that shoot further a drop in the Prairie.
Why own a rifle if you're not going to shoot it? Besides of course it's a English side by side worth thousands of dollars which I'm sure none of us can afford on here. Listen to EVERYONE else and buy the ought six and shoot it bunches because you can afford to. You're .257 Wby is not doubt a cool gun but i'd rather own a 30-06 and shoot it alot and be a good marksman.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts