Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Hunting regular season.

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  junkman 
#1 ·
Anybody going to hunt the regular deer season with a muzzle loader?

#3 ·
There are a TON of people that I know will only use their ML instead of another firearm. Hard to beat a rifle that you have faith in and shot a lot of deer with that will shoot at 200 plus yards. The one shot mentality will come in play which is a great thing. Could also be that you have to wait for the smoke to clear to see what you did! o_O

#5 ·
I've killed several deer over the years with my T/C Omega 50 cal. muzzleloader down here on Zone 3 farms. I've got an old 2X7 Leupold Vari-X II scope resting on top of it. Those 250 gr. Barnes Expander MZ bullets I always use are pushed by 110 grs. of Blackhorn 209 powder and that deadly combo always drops those critters in a hurry. Having one shot doesn't bother me since that first shot is the only one that really counts anyway. At the end of every day's hunt, I'm religious about shooting my gun into the ground to empty it, and then cleaning it that same night, just out of habit. It's no big deal because cleaning the Omega is easy as it gets for a muzzleloader. The breech plugs I simply spray clean with Gun Scrubber before re-greasing the threads. That cleaning habit is the sole reason why my barrel and breech plugs have never rusted and still look and work like brand new. Besides, I always feel more confident having put fresh powder in my gun before going out every morning. What I really like about that Blackhorn 209 powder is that you are advised to swab out your barrel with Hoppes #9 solvent instead of having to deal with hot, soapy water like in the old days. That was always a pain in the neck.

#8 ·
It all depends on where I’m hunting, weather and my mood. Some years yes some years no. When I bear hunt I use one of my muzzleloaders but with the point system it’s less frequent than I used to. I don’t consider a muzzleloader any more of a handicap than using anyone of my single shot centerfire rifles. Good luck this season.

Reactions: junkman
#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.