Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long story short, i may have to buy the property that i hunt if i want to keep hunting it.( my very best and favorite spot) Best buck last year taken scored 147/3/8 with a broke off 4 inch point.The woman that owns it was yelled at by her neighbors because they dont like me hunting there so she said she has no choice but to let me not hunt there anymore.( they think they own the whole area surrounding them) and she dont want her neighbors mad at her even though they never help her out like i do.
Anyway its about 30 acres half wooded and half farmland in the picture. she has 40 some total but im only interested in the land pictured behind the house, the rest can stay with the house. North end of shiawassee county. whats it worth? she owns all the woods, the neighbors just own the surrounding fields.As you can see some of the farmland is unuseable due to being too wet. Its growing up thick though into willows and stuff.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
If its close to home and that good a spot you may kick yourself if it gets away. If you have the means work with her!

An ''Old Timer'' once told me...''son they don't make no more land''

You will probably get along better with the neighbors once you get it as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
342 Posts
It depends what county the land is in, and how motivated the seller is.

I just got a great deal on 15 acres in Sanillac county for 1750 an acre. However it seems like the going rate is 2500-4000 an acre around there.

There are three properties selling in shiawassee county on landwatch.

24 acres for 107,000
Thats about 4500 an acre.

42.68 acres for 275,000 6500 an acre which seems ridiculous.

80 acres for 200,000 2500 an acre

so 2500-6500 an acre based on those 3 listings. I would say 2500 per is more realistic of what would be a fair offer.
If you only want the back 25 acres you can offer her 60,000 and see if she takes it?

If she is a really old lady I would be hesitant to do a land contract because if she dies before you get the deed you could be SOL, and lose all the money you had paid her.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
no! i definatly dont want it to get away from me! North end of SHIAWASSEE county. its my best spot and 5 miles from my house. Her, her mom and her boy all live there. Her mom just went into nursing home and her and her son care less about the woods and dont hunt. I am her sons best man coming up in his wedding too. It definatly leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth though that she lets her neigbors run her property like they are hitler. I need to get a guestimate of what i should pay for it and then figure out how the heck to come up with the money. Home equity??? i dont know how the best way is to go about this.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Sure, the land has a value as real estate but how do you put a dollar value on your piece of heaven?

If it is a sweet spot don't let it get away even if you have to pay a bit more than you think it is worth or you have to take on a second job delivering pizza to pay for it. I bet most folks who let their favorite hunting spot slip though their fingers would agree.

If you cannot figure any other way to finance the property, or even if you can, consider a land contract if the owner is agreeable. Sometimes owners prefer that because it spreads the income from the sale over several years. FM

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure, the land has a value as real estate but how do you put a dollar value on your piece of heaven?

If it is a sweet spot don't let it get away even if you have to pay a bit more than you think it is worth or you have to take on a second job delivering pizza to pay for it. I bet most folks who let their favorite hunting spot slip though their fingers would agree.

If you cannot figure any other way to finance the property, or even if you can, consider a land contract if the owner is agreeable. Sometimes owners prefer that because it spreads the income from the sale over several years. FM
You guy have sparked my interest.. what is a land contract?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
what lousy luck, but maybe a blessing too. If it were me i would stop any public conversation especially with pictures of the property. Work quietly and repectivefully with them but even most importantly quickly. Once the word is out even just by the neighbors pricing might get out of hand money can cause strange things to happen to friendships. I hope this works out for you good luck, oh and make sure you take care of your buddy at his bachelor's party it might help.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
You guy have sparked my interest.. what is a land contract?
The short answer is "owner financing".

You and the owner agree on a price, down payment, interest rate, time table for payment, early pay off, etc. and what you cannot do with the land until it is paid off completely. Most folks make monthly payments but I have seen quarterly and semi annually too. If the seller owns the land outright and does not need the $$$ immediately they sometimes like the idea of a LC because they get the interest, not the bank. You might be able to negotiate a lower interest rate then the bank would charge too.

A negitive is that if payments are stopped prior to title transfer the land generally reverts back to the seller. But I suppose if it bank financed and you stop payment the land would revert to the bank. FM

·
Registered
19,128 Posts
Long story short, i may have to buy the property that i hunt if i want to keep hunting it.( my very best and favorite spot) Best buck last year taken scored 147/3/8 with a broke off 4 inch point.The woman that owns it was yelled at by her neighbors because they dont like me hunting there so she said she has no choice but to let me not hunt there anymore.( they think they own the whole area surrounding them) and she dont want her neighbors mad at her even though they never help her out like i do.
..........QUOTE]

I think the lady that owns this property is in a very good position. At least 2 people would like to buy her land. Knowing only what I have read from your posts, I think it may be difficult for you to out bid the farmer who owns the surrounding land.
She doesn't want her neighbors mad at her ?? That doesn't help your position in trying to buy the land, but in the end, the land will likly go to the highest bidder.

L & O

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've bought three small hunting properties in the last few years, for various reasons. One was because it was family/friend land, is a sweet little spot, and I wanted to make sure it stayed in the family so we could hunt it. Another was similar, but much smaller and tied into another piece my father already owned. The third was just a good property at the right price.

Before I would buy another property, and something I wish I'd considered earlier, is what is going on "around" that piece of land? Are the neighbors butt-heads? Sounds like it, in your case. Are you close enough to other development that your great spot might be compromised in 5-10 years? Are houses going up here n' there, making it less safe to gun hunt?

I think it stinks that the lady won't tell her neighbors to mind their own business...that's the real crux of your problem. If there was any way you could get her approval to talk directly with the neighbors, to see what their concerns are and whether or not you can sort that out, yourself? Maybe it's as simple as respecting a property line a little more that would allow you to continue hunting that land w/o having to buy it?

If you DO purchase this piece, and it's just land, I will warn you right now: Getting financing for land is quite a bit different than buying real estate with a house on it. Forget about buying it with less than 20% down and be prepared to jump through some additional hoops to get there.

If you can get it on land contract from the lady, who sounds like she's not all that old, if her mom is still around, just do it on a 15-year deal so you don't risk any issues, should she pass away. I know you're her son's best man today, but don't count on that saving the property, if he becomes heir to it. As harsh as that is, you're talking about total payments approaching $100,000 for buying this land (with interest) so you can't leave ANYTHING to chance!

The other option you might present is a land lease. If she would agree to it, with the understanding that if they gripe at her, she can just say, "Hey, I needed the money and leased it out..." maybe that would set her mind at ease? If so, the neighbors could come straight to you, as the lessee, with their concerns. You can work with them (prolly best) or tell them to go pound sand. As a legal lessee, that will be your right.

So, lots of different ways to go here, but I will throw out one final thought: For the total cost of buying this land, (figure no less than $600/mo, including taxes) you could save up over $7,000 a year and go on at least 2 hunts anywhere in the Midwest. You could probably lease it for 1/10th of that cost, but with nothing to show, long-term.

Buying land is much more than just a great hunting spot...it's like an investment in a stable value fund. You will not make a lot of money on hunting land, ever! You will lose money on it, all things considered, because you never get the interest or tax money back. Buying land is about the feeling you get when you dig your fingers into it and know it's YOURS (well, mostly the bank's, at first) and that you can make of it what you will.

I bought one piece of property JUST for hunting...and while I don't regret it, it's definitely the first piece I would sell off, if I needed to do so. If this property is nothing more to you than a hunting spot, and likely never would be, I would exhaust all other options and then think HARD before buying it. :twocents:

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
wow thanks alot guys. the talking to the neighbor is not an option now. i tried that with two witnesses present.(one being my land owners son) It was a waste of time and almost ended up in a fist fight.(not because of anything i said)He will not be reasoned with. His final answer is he doesnt want anyone hunting her property and there is no way i can resolve the situation without leaving the property. The son is pissed at the neighbors and kinda his mom too for letting this go on.Forgot to say too im alowed to cut firewood and anything i want on the land now, as long as i dont hunt deer.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
You need to take the emotion out of it, and quickly. Do you want this land bad enough to deal with ****** neighbors during your recreational time? Because that is what will happen. The guy you tried to talk to won't change his opinion on you hunting it regardless of who's name is on the deed. Prepare to have your property vandalized, prepare to be harrased etc. It might be far less frustrating in the long run to chalk it up as a loss and cherish the good fortune you had to be able to hunt it if even for just a short time.

Search these forums from members here that deal with nasty neighbors. You'll have lots to read. The frustration is very real and has ruined the enjoyment of owning their own hunting property for some.

Not trying to talk you out of it, but don't press the panic button and make a huge financial investment based on emotion alone. Think it through and weigh your options before making that decision.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
It's hard to believe that a property owner is letting a disgruntled neighbor dictate how one legally chooses to use their own property. That's just crazy.
I'd like to tell that neighbor where he can stick his opinion. Who the hell does he think he is?! Makes me mad and I'm just reading the story.....:sad:

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You need to take the emotion out of it, and quickly. Do you want this land bad enough to deal with ****** neighbors during your recreational time? Because that is what will happen. The guy you tried to talk to won't change his opinion on you hunting it regardless of who's name is on the deed. Prepare to have your property vandalized, prepare to be harrased etc. It might be far less frustrating in the long run to chalk it up as a loss and cherish the good fortune you had to be able to hunt it if even for just a short time.

Search these forums from members here that deal with nasty neighbors. You'll have lots to read. The frustration is very real and has ruined the enjoyment of owning their own hunting property for some.

Not trying to talk you out of it, but don't press the panic button and make a huge financial investment based on emotion alone. Think it through and weigh your options before making that decision.
ive thought about this alot today as well. But i have never been one to shy away because an idiot needs to be dealt with. I know the son is trying to work this in my favor so i guess ill give it a week or so and see what happens and go from there.

·
Registered
19,128 Posts
It's hard to believe that a property owner is letting a disgruntled neighbor dictate how one legally chooses to use their own property. That's just crazy.
I'd like to tell that neighbor where he can stick his opinion. Who the hell does he think he is?! Makes me mad and I'm just reading the story.....:sad:
Remember, we are hearing one side of this story. If you have ever been in a postion to hear conflicting accounts about a problem, the truth is probably some where between the two stories.

L & O

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
If you do approach the owner to sell it to you with owner financing, I'd suggest that you use a Purchase Money Mortgage (private mortgage) instead of a Land Contract. Use an attorney, they can tell you the difference between the two. There are several advantages for you (the buyer) including the fact that the deed is recorded in your name with a PMM from the start, where it stays in the current owners name until the land contract is paid off, thus being subject to federal tax liens and deficiency judgments. Also, if you buy it on a land contract, the current owner can still leverage the property in question up to amount of equity that they have in it, which again can create a sticky situation if they default on a loan which uses their equity in the property as security. Another concern in your situation is that you would be buying it from someone who is likely to die before it's paid off, which can create other complications like insuring that there is sufficient money in the estate to pay the transfer taxes due when the land contract is satisfied.

Use an attorney, use a private mortgage if they are willing, get a survey and make sure there is title insurance provided.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i know... this sounds completely rediculas but it IS going on. After last nights conversation it seemed like she started to realize how they shouldnt be able to run HER property but ill play the waiting game here for a bit i guess and see what happens. Latest word today now is there will be a renegoitiation because shes going to have her brother (retired cop) talk with the neighbor. who knows maybe the brother will put the foot down on the neighbor.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

IMO, I would pay very close attention to the great advice given here. This should be the absolute #1 concern when buying property. A bad neighbor typically does not change colors and unfortunately can ruin your dreams. I'm sure it is a good piece as you say, but just because you have history with it and know it well, my advice would be to look around. There are a lot of good pieces out there. This type of decision should be made cautiosly and with a very clear head. I've bought 3 pieces of property in my life. I sold the first one mainly because of the aforementioned reason, crappy neighbors. I dealt with trespass, vandalism, and fence sitters. You already have a taste of how frustrating it can be. It won't stop just because you buy it and could possibly get worse.
Same here, not trying to talk you out of it but trying to get you to put some very heavy consideration into the neighbor you are dealing with, and always will deal with.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts