Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
I was reading the waterfowl guide, and it says that it is illegal to hunt over bait. Also, an area is considered to be baited for 10 days after the removal of the bait. So, if I bait an area with say a couple hundred pounds of corn for a few weeks, wait 10 days after the bait is gone. Can I hunt it?
And, if I am the only one doing the baiting who other than me would know when10 days is up. So actually, when the bait is gone, I should be able to hunt the spot. I also would have to accept the fact that if a CO where to come by and find any piece of bait anywhere . I would be getting a ticket.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Hello Zorba...let me tell you about baiting....
CO's hate baiters more than anything, and will go to great lengths to catch them, because it's DEADLY on waterfowl.
They'll either find the bait by air(shows up easy) or by watching mass quantities of ducks funneling into an area they shouldn't be (other hunters will notice this too)
You can do exactly as the rules state, bait to your hearts content, wait 10 days after you stop, then gun it.
The birdies will have probably left to find another easy meal, so why bother? I would be more concerned about other hunters finding my honey hole...those tornadoing birds stand out like a sore thumb.
You can even get a baiting ticket hunting near a spot someone else baited. It doesn't matter whether you knew or not. that's to eliminate the "it's not my bait" excuse.
Don't do it, there are less guilt inducing ways of shooting ducks.
I shot golden ponds on Walpole, I'm so over that. Unless I go back with a bow and try it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CO's hate baiters more than anything, and will go to great lengths to catch them, because it's DEADLY on waterfowl.
They'll either find the bait by air(shows up easy) or by watching mass quantities of ducks funneling into an area they shouldn't be (other hunters will notice this too)
You can do exactly as the rules state, bait to your hearts content, wait 10 days after you stop, then gun it.
The birdies will have probably left to find another easy meal, so why bother? I would be more concerned about other hunters finding my honey hole...those tornadoing birds stand out like a sore thumb.
You can even get a baiting ticket hunting near a spot someone else baited. It doesn't matter whether you knew or not. that's to eliminate the "it's not my bait" excuse.
I shot golden ponds on Walpole, I'm so over that. Unless I go back with a bow and try it.
Would it be cool just to try it once.:lol:

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Years ago I had permission to hunt a private land corn field. Something happened during the process and a bunch, and I mean a bunch of corn was left in a pile in the middle of this corn field. Oh ! You don't know how bad I wanted to hunt that corn field. To save the hassle I just stayed out of there until the farmer cleaned it up.
Yes CO's despise waterfowl baiters, and I wasn't going to test them.........

·
Habitual outdoorsman
991 Posts
THAT, was tactfully handled my friend. Well done

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was reading the waterfowl guide, and it says that it is illegal to hunt over bait. Also, an area is considered to be baited for 10 days after the removal of the bait. So, if I bait an area with say a couple hundred pounds of corn for a few weeks, wait 10 days after the bait is gone. Can I hunt it?
And, if I am the only one doing the baiting who other than me would know when10 days is up. So actually, when the bait is gone, I should be able to hunt the spot. I also would have to accept the fact that if a CO where to come by and find any piece of bait anywhere . I would be getting a ticket.
You sure can, it's called fish point!!.............did i say that out loud:eek:ne_eye:

don't get all bent I'm just play'n....baiting ducks is a nasty thing and CO's will break it off in your ace if you do it...old harvesting tractors are nice as stated before. :D

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
My buddie got popped for "baiting". He was a senior in high school. Had permission on a wheat field. The farmer harvested the wheat some how a 1/4 full gravity wagon got water in it. The wheat started to rot. The farmer took it out and spread it back in his field. Buddy hunts the field. Dnr shows up. Unknown to my buddy about 300yds away is a bunch of wheat. They took his gun and gave a ticket. At court he had 2 options plead guilty loose your hunting license for 1 year or plea not guility and loose it up to 5 years. He plead guilty. Pretty stiff stuff.

especially if you had know idea it was even there.

Kev

·
Registered
208 Posts
Has anyone ever tried those fake cobs of corn they sell in the Cabela's catalog? Just wondering, because to be honest, I've been tempted once or twice just to see what would happen.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I know a couple guys that hunted a wheat field near kingsville ontario.. they painted up about 120 water bottles yellow and put them among their goose decoys.. MNR rolled by and saw it and charged them with hunting over bait.. they ended up with almost $8000 in tickets and loss of gun and equipment!

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Holy cow over fake bait that's disgusting. Sounds like good lawyers are needed
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would have to call, "BS" on that story if it were here in Michigan. Yellow water bottles are no closer to being "bait", than GHG Goose decoys are to being "USING LIVE BIRDS" as decoys.

Come on now.............:dizzy:

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can hunt over "bait" if it is a normal farming pratice. If the farmer dumps old or rotten grain in the field that might be in the gray area, but I might be tempted to hunt but be ready to hire a lawyer. I have hunted in a sweet corn field were the the farmer was contracted to grow sweet corn and the buyer had reached his quota. Since the quota was meet the farmer disked the entire field. That in my opion was a normal farming pratice.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Dont believe me, but its true!

If you want do a search for "ocoa" (ontario conservation officer association),, go to "news" and then do a search for "fake bait",,, the story is there! Ill copy and paste it! actually there is a link to the site on bottom of this post.

TRIO FINED $7,500 FOR BAITING AND HUNTING GEESE

WINDSOR - Three hunters who used yellow bottles as bait to simulate cobs of corn have been fined a total of $7,500 for illegally hunting geese.

Rolland Miller, 44, of Harrow, Chadd Charron, 33, of Belle River and Stanley Laramie, 29, of Kingsville pleaded guilty to hunting within 400 metres of bait put down to attract waterfowl. Miller and Charron were each fined $3,000 and Laramie was fined $1,000. Laramie also pleaded guilty to possessing toxic lead shot and was fined $500.

Each hunter was also suspended from possessing a migratory bird hunting license for one year.

Court heard that on December 10, 2004 a Ministry of Natural Resources conservation officer found the three men hunting geese near Kingsville. They were hunting less than 250 metres from regular goose decoys, among which were 102 bottles that had been painted yellow to simulate cobs of corn.

Corn and any imitation of corn are viewed as bait under the Migratory Birds Convention Act and hunting within the 400-metre range is considered an unfair advantage for hunters.

Justice of the Peace Murphy heard the cases in the Ontario Court of Justice in Windsor on February 28, 2005.

The public is encouraged to help protect its natural resources by reporting violations to the local MNR office or anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

www.ocoa.ca

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Different rules in another country. Have also read/heard of others being busted in ontario for hunting over fake bait.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I asked the DNR this year a question pertaining to this. I have some property and I was thinking of planting some crops specifically for attracting waterfowl next year. My question was, if I plant a crop and then brush hog it a few days prior to season opening, then hunt that field, am I guilty of baiting. The answer was yes. I asked the question on the DNR's website so I didn't get a detailed response why, but I assume that it is because I wasn't making any honest attempt to harvest any of the grain (normal farming practice).

I do however, like the idea of cheap old farm machinery that isn't very efficient anymore. I may have to go to some auctions this summer shopping! Thank goodness we're not in Ontario where you can't even bait with fake bait. I also may try the painted 2 liter bottles, guess those would be the super magnum corn decoys.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
If you guys want to try fake corn, use either cut pieces of yellow gas line or the protective covers over support cables for telephone poles.
I picked up enough sections over the years to have a full decoy bag.

It was a late season on snow kind of thing...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
You can hunt over "bait" if it is a normal farming pratice. If the farmer dumps old or rotten grain in the field that might be in the gray area, but I might be tempted to hunt but be ready to hire a lawyer. I have hunted in a sweet corn field were the the farmer was contracted to grow sweet corn and the buyer had reached his quota. Since the quota was meet the farmer disked the entire field. That in my opion was a normal farming pratice.
Well then your opinion is wrong, and you could have recieved a ticket for hunting over a manipulated field:

http://www.fws.gov/le/huntfish/waterfowl_baiting.htm

Manipulation includes, but is not limited to, such activities as mowing, shredding, discing, rolling, chopping, trampling, flattening, burning, or herbicide treatments. Grain or seed which is present as a result of a manipulation that took place prior to a normal harvest is bait. For example, no hunting could legally occur on or over a field where a corn crop has been knocked down by a motorized vehicle. Kernels of corn would be exposed and/or scattered

If, for whatever reason, an agricultural crop or a portion of an agricultural crop has not been harvested (i.e., equipment failure, weather, insect infestation, disease, etc.) and the crop or remaining portion of the crop has been manipulated, then the area is a baited area and cannot be legally hunted for waterfowl. For example, no waterfowl hunting could legally occur on or over a field of sweet corn that has been partially harvested and the remainder mowed.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Please explain the difference between hunting a corn field and baiting. I have no desire to break the law.

City farmer has 3-4 acres of corn that was not picked due to small ears and slow growth. He plans to just brush hog it down and turn over the field. Some corn will be left on the ground I'm sure. This field has always been a good late season field & I plan on hunting it again this year.

Is this left over corn considered baiting? If it's cut and I don't hunt it for a couple of weeks does that make a difference?

The filed is next to a cemetary and a metro park both with ponds. Never been questioned by law enforcement but there's plenty around.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts