Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody hunted near the maple river area? A friend of mine has convinced me to try gun season with him at his camp near maple river. Just wondered if anybody else has hunted the area and what kind of luck they had?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
are you talking the stateland? or private? there are some bruisers on the SL that runs on both sides of the maple, but you'll have to do your homework to find them. and also, be very very careful up there.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be on the state land. His family has a cabin just off the river and they take a boat ride down the river a ways to where they hunt. This will be my first year hunting state land during gun season for years. I am always a very safe hunter but it's other hunters that worry me so the comment about be very very carefull has me a bit nervous.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
4-5 years ago it sounded like ww 3 on opening day, i can only imagine its gotten alot worse. if you shoot, make sure you drop it.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
If it's anything like gratiot/saginaw state land area wear lots of orange and use a light going in and coming out during the dark. You know the red neck way of hunting,"if it's brown it's down"

·
Registered
874 Posts
Not to bad during bow season but gun season is crazy!!! Being that you are going with a group that is familiar with the area you should be alright. If you were coming up with no prior knowledge of the area you better beware of bounderies and locals. Not an area that you want to hunt by yourself during gun season (just my opion).

·
Registered
13,086 Posts
Yeah I hunt near there on private land. There are just too many hunters for the huntable area. If your friends are familier with the area you should be just fine. Good luck, make sure you know what your aiming at.:eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the group I am going with has been hunting the area for years and have always seem to have decent luck. They haven't told me of any horror storys and have nothing but good things to say about the area they hunt. I'm just always a little nervous gun hunting on public land. I have a full orange blaze camo jumper and never take a shot unless its a clear clean shot. Just wanted to hear others opinions on the area. Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
It's good hunting, but is crowded at times. Heard lots of shots the last several years and lots of deer moving. Use your head and be careful and you should be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts