Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you have mentioned that you keep a log or journal of the years activity. Whether it is for personal reading at a later date or to gather some hard scientific evidence for herd management is not really a concern. This will be my first year trying to get an accurate picture of my herd's buck-to-doe ratio, and I would also like to preserve some of the tales of my hunts to read when I'm older. What kind of stuff do you all keep in your logs or journals? I can think of the basics but don't want to omit anything crucial. I know some of you guys are pretty meticulous so lets hear it.

-GB

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Grizzly,

I make sure I take note of the Wind, Barometer, temp, and date. I make sure I put all sightings and NON sightings for each sit.

I like to see how the rut makes different deer move at different times. I also like to tell if it was cloudy, overcast, sunny, partly, and so on.

Finally, dont forget about the moon phase. Make sure you put that into your notes.

The basics like what stand, where, and all that are basics.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Sightings log:

date, am or pm, hours on stand, stand location, # of does, # of bucks, # of fawns, weather.

Harvest log:

date, stand location, sex, field dressed weight, age,

for bucks: antler beam lengths, # of points L & R, inside spread, beam circumference.

for does: evidence of lactation.

·
Registered
546 Posts
log which trail they use during different conditions. What direction they are going and on which trail at what time.

Where I hunt, they deer can be patterned. However this pattern changes during the year and weather.....

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
Aside from the atmospheric conditions I map out the movement of deer that enters my food plots and how long they spend before moving out of sight. All times are recorded.

I also include other sightings of game and nongame animals

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Date, time arrived on stand, wind direction, temp, weather conditions.

Deer sightings: Date, time, direction it came from and where it went to, # of deer and type (buck, doe, or fawn), and how long it stayed in sight.

Kills: Date, time, and type.

One thing I've learned over the years from keeping a journal is that there's no "ideal" time to be hunting: Some of the biggest bucks I've killed have been at all times of the day during pounding rains, snowstorms, and violent winds. And I've sat on calm, crisp bluebird days and not seen a thing.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Along with making journal entries in my hunting log, I also like to draw little maps of the area I'm hunting. Making sure to note bedding areas, game trails and any scrapes & rubs that I've found while scouting.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am hoping to classify all qualitative data into an easy to read spreadsheet for future use. However, given the fact that qualitative data will often be influenced by quantitative data (date, time, weather, moon phase, etc.) This may be somewhat difficult. I think both sets of data will be very useful in their own right though. Thanks for the input, it was what I expected. Just making sure I didn't miss any of the obvious.

-GB

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
All good stuff. You guys are very impressive and I have learned so much about hunting from the things you post. Thank you.

Honestly, hunting time has been so limited for me that I quit keeping track of things. If I get a chance to go hunting, I go. It doesn't matter what the weather is like, what phase the moon is in, what stage of the rut, etc. I entirely agree that all this plays an important role, I just don't have the luxury to plan my hunting around them.

A detailed map of the area I hunt has been most helpful. I always carry pen, aerial photos and paper whether scouting or hunting. Scrapes, rubs, trails and details of the land are jotted down. Once home, I transfer these to my "detailed map". It's on a big sheet of flip-chart paper and includes all the stuff mentioned above. Over the years you start to see some definite patterns.

I also write up a detailed story about every deer I'm blessed to kill. These stories do include wind, time and many of the items mentioned by other hunters in this thread. A photo of each is also taken. It's a lot of fun to relive these hunts time and time again.

Good luck to everyone,
John E.
Ypsi

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have some friends that pay close attention to when they start seeing a lot fawns in the spring. That way they can figure out (by subtracting gestation period) when the peak of the rut was the year befor. Then they bounce that off of things like moon phases and all other information they record so when similar conditions roll around, they know just about when the peak of the rut will be.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Have any of you guys ran into a program that is a hunting log?

A buddy of mine claimed he saw one in a magazine or catalog, but couldnt remember where.
I guess I could design something useful on Microsoft Word, but that would take a computer moron like me forever.

Any info would be appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts