Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I wanted to get some opinions regarding something I've been thinking about doing. I am going to purchase a property within the next year that I've been hunting for 25 years. It's 120 acres with a 1500 sft /4 bedroom house and a pole barn. Full plumbing and electricity. It's recently been redone and it's beautiful. I've been throwing around the idea of letting a few guys lease from me on a yearly basis to help offset some of the cost.I wanted to get an opinion on what would be a fair market value for hunting rights and the ability to use the house / cabin at various times throughout the year and shared use of the pole barn. This is a place someone could bring their family for a weekend. Part of this would include me putting in the 6 food plots that are on the property as well and heating and electricity costs. I honestly don't know what's fair to ask. I thought I would get some public opinion. I would appreciate any input anyone has to offer. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
A small fortune...
They aren’t going to treat it how you would treat it no matter how they treat it....
Are you planning on hunting it? Are you doing to do a weekly lease? Especially if you are going to do all the work with food plots and what not and are you hunting it at the same time as them?
Sounds like it would just get ugly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I would definitely be hunting as well. The terms of the lease would definitely have to be hammered out prior to anything happening. I have some friends that would probably be interested and as long as terms are discussed prior to anything happening, then I think it would work out well. I have no idea what’s fair to charge though.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
You might want to consider renting the cabin out on Home Away, with an upcharge for hunting rights during the renter's stay. I have seen that done a couple times. You can get an idea of nightly rental rates for other properties in the area, then determine a daily rate just for the hunting rights. That way, you can allow people to hunt when you're not there. Also, you'd be making money on the place in non-hunting times. The pole barn could be partially rented out for storage, seems like you'd get some boaters that might be interested.

·
Registered
15,245 Posts
Yes, I would definitely be hunting as well. The terms of the lease would definitely have to be hammered out prior to anything happening. I have some friends that would probably be interested and as long as terms are discussed prior to anything happening, then I think it would work out well. I have no idea what’s fair to charge though.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
If I were in your shoes I'd separate the home rental from the lease. Use one of the vacation rental sites to market the home.

If you're going to hunt the property that would dramatically lower the value of the lease.

Leasing to friends is often a recipe for headaches. A well vetted stranger would be less likely to create problems.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,749 Posts
I agree with a lot of the posts above. People simply do not treat things the same as you likely do.

I was in your shoes 6 years ago.

I believe it was Farmlegend who said if you don’t charge anyone then everyone is a guest. That turned out to be some brilliant advice.

Once you charge someone you are no longer in control of the situation. You have to deal with other people’s entitlement.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t work but I highly doubt the little bit you will be able to charge will be worth the extra stress and Headache.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
No way if it was me. If you want to have control you can't lease. Just ask your chosen friends to help and pitch in some in exchange for you letting them hunt under your requirements.
My lessee owns the land but i control the hunting rights.
They have ultimate authority as the land owner.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would be interested to hear what you came up with? I am looking for a lease in the Hale area. The last 8 years myself and my hunting buddy have hunted Glennie up in Alcona Co and have not been very successful. We are currently looking for a lease for 2019. Message me if you’d like to discuss this further.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I wouldn't do it myself if you planned to hunt. It will be a disaster IMO. I do know of a guy in Hillsdale county that leases out his land to hunters. I believe it's $1,000 per season and he has enough land that he has 2-3 groups leasing some specific areas.

He doesn't provide any housing or foodplots, just rights to hunt. Some of them bring their own trailer and others do day trips only.

To answer your original question, I believe this person charges $1,000/season in a very good hunting county. That fact that he has more that one group has caused some issues with overlapping areas of hunting and use of stands etc... (you can imagine)

Maybe look for CRP funding or ability to sublease for farming.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.