Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I've been deer hunting near Atlanta for 24 years on state land of some significance to my family (great grandpa worked in the logging camps in the area, dad grew up there, etc.) but the hunting has gone from bad to unbearable.

Our small group is looking for a lease. We have no experience with this and aren't sure if it is in our price range.

It will be just four or five guys- I guess our ideal would be around 80 acres.

What should I expect to pay for a lease on 40 or 80 acres?

Do you that have experience recommend a written contract or is just a handshake enough?

Can you expect all fall access or do leasers tend to just want you on their land during very specific times?

How do you recommend searching for a lease?

Thanks for any and all advice- anything will be helpful. We're hoping to find something within a 45 minute drive of our little place north of Hillman.

Thank you very much-

Brent

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hello:

I've been deer hunting near Atlanta for 24 years on state land of some significance to my family (great grandpa worked in the logging camps in the area, dad grew up there, etc.) but the hunting has gone from bad to unbearable.

Our small group is looking for a lease. We have no experience with this and aren't sure if it is in our price range.

It will be just four or five guys- I guess our ideal would be around 80 acres.

What should I expect to pay for a lease on 40 or 80 acres?

Do you that have experience recommend a written contract or is just a handshake enough?

Can you expect all fall access or do leasers tend to just want you on their land during very specific times?

How do you recommend searching for a lease?

Thanks for any and all advice- anything will be helpful. We're hoping to find something within a 45 minute drive of our little place north of Hillman.

Thank you very much-

Brent
First, the hard part is finding land to lease. The second part is finding quality hunting land. You could put adds in the local paper or just start asking. There is land on this site that come-up for lease from time to time. To answer another question of yours. Yes you do want a contract. This covers you and the land owner. Both you and the landowner have to agree to the terms of the lease......duration,no-hunting zones,# of hunters, etc. I always insist on sole hunting rights(you do not want to show up at your lease and find the landowners brother or uncle hunting the land, unless there is some kind of arrangement that you have agreed on. You do not want to lease on a hand-shake.I lease land in S. Mich 40 acres for $600. This lease runs from Sept. 1 to June 1. Some land may be less and some much more. I would recommend that just one of you lease the land, so the landowner has just one person to deal with. You mention that you have 5 hunters in your group, you may want consider more than 80 acres if all of you are hunting at the same time. Good-luck

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
There was 155 acres up on these boards earlier before season up in Lincoln. They wanted too much then they dropped the price, believe it was down to about $2,125 up to 4 guys, full use of cabin and blinds. Was available from Oct-Jan 1 plus allowed to plant plots and preseason scout. I will see if I can dig it up if you are interested.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both.

Sure, I would be interested in learning more about that lease. If you find anything please let me know.

Brent

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
If you look farther down this page there is a post titled "Lease Accomplished". It explains what one guy did to get a lease, including using a contract provided by, I think, Farm Bureau. You might want to try driving around the area that you want to hunt and talk to people that own land. Take a contract with you to show the people you are serious and responsible. Also, check out local papers and other publications. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts