Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share my experience on being successful in reaching an agreement to lease some land is SE Michigan for this years bow season.

I tried on various websites, including this one, but wasn't getting any responses so I decided to try a more old-fashioned approach. It took a little effort, but paid off for me the very first day on my travels within 15 miles of my home in norther Macomb Township where there are still quite a few working farms. I first wrote a friendly letter introducing myself and my goals for the hunting season. I also indicated that I was willing to pay a fair price in cash or labor, should any potential landowner be willing to allow me the priviledge to hunt their land, and asked to be contacted at my home phone number. All it took was the time to actually get out and drive around leaving a copy of my letter at different places that appeared to have good potential to hold deer. And with the baiting ban in effect, I wanted a place that had crops and water. I got both plus the bonus of apple trees in areas on the property that are still plenty full of apples.

I ended up getting a couple of calls and was able to put a deal together at a place close enough to my home that I will even be able to hunt after work on the weekdays. What helped close the deal was having a lease agreement ready to show anyone who showed interest, as I learned that liability was the main concern of anyone I spoke with. If I had to do it again, the one thing I would do differently would be to include a copy of the lease agreement with the letters I distributed. I think then I would have gotten even more responses. I ended up using a form I found on the Farm Bureau's webite (see below link). After I studied it, I realized that it would sure make me feel more comfortable had I been the landowner. I needed to edit it a bit to fit my own needs (more than one hunter, etc.), but it served to really put the landowner at ease not having to worry about getting sued should I get hurt, etc., while on their property, and knowing that their property would be treated with the utmost respect, as it righfully deserves to be.

Anyway, I see other folks on here with postings indicating they are looking to lease some land for hunting so again, I just wanted to share this information should it be of help to anyone.

http://www.michfb.com/ecology/hunting

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
I....... I first wrote a friendly letter introducing myself and my goals for the hunting season. I also indicated that I was willing to pay a fair price in cash or labor, should any potential landowner be willing to allow me the priviledge to hunt their land,....
This could be a very helpful post to someone who is willing to earn the right to hunt private land. From my experience in talking with other land owners in high deer population areas, there are many who would follow up on your letter.
Great post and congrats.

L & O

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. I will be sure to be the most respectful guest. With so very little public land to hunt on in this county, I am hopeful that more landowners will be open to the idea of leasing to hunters. With gas prices where there are and the poor local economy in general, it would help both hunter and landowner.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Did you leave your letters in mailbox,s of land owners? Great post! thanks.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You lucky SOB....

Ive been trying for the last 4 years to score land to hunt in macomb county and have always came up empty handed....

Good luck on your new hunting land.

Carl

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
That would be illegal, since the USPS technically owns ALL mailboxes, and you have to pay postage to be able to use them to deliver "mail" to someone.

Oh s#it here comes the politically correct police....

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Good point about the mailboxes. I guess you could post on the add boards in local stores.

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
Good point about the mailboxes. I guess you could post on the add boards in local stores.
If the thought is to to distribute flyers, keep in mind that while mailboxes are taboo as far as flyer stuffing, every entity under the sun, from politicans to businesses to the boy scouts, stuffs flyers into newspaper boxes, so that could be an option. You could also break down and just spend a little money on stamps and spare yourself the hassle of stuffing newspaper boxes;).

The author of this thread has put his finger on a valid strategy for obtaining leases and also digging up property for sale, which is the idea of being proactive in communicating to your target audience. Two of the leases I maintain were obtained in this fashion, and it's also an approach I've taken when attempting to target a specific area for a property purchase. It basically boils down to communicating in writing to decision makers that you have an interest in obtaining a lease or purchasing property in their area, and that you would ask them to keep you in mind if they're open to doing something or hear of someone else in the area that is. The whole concept works very well and will create a lot more possibilities than you'll otherwise be able to locate through conventional means.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you are concerned about leaving a flyer in a mailbox, place the flyer the newspaper boxes. Ypou know the ones I'm talking about. I believe these are fair game and do not fall under the domain of the USPS.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thank You for sharing such a well thought out approach. I have a 5 year old son whom I would like to involve in the process. What a great way to introduce him to the other side of hunting. Also Thanks for the link to the Farm Bureau website.

dbellor

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I did a similar thing back in 1999 when I first moved out to Howell. I looked at aerials, bought a plat book and sent letters about myself and that I was interested in speaking with them in person about hunting, if they were interested. I also included a self addressed stamped envelope, along with my phone number. I only received a reply from one owner, and they were letting me know they already had people hunting. Im not saying this strategy doesnt work, but its no slam dunk either. I even stated I was contacting them via mail, so as not to disturb them by knocking on their door. I didnt have the contract as the above poster did, maybe that would have helped. Ive had better luck knocking on doors.
Ken

1 - 18 of 18 Posts