Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Im a junior at Ferris State and i have had some places to hunt that last couple years but one of those I will not be able to hunt this next year so I was just wondering if anyone knows of any land or has any land near big rapids that I could at least Bow hunt. If anyone has any information about any land please let me know.

If anyone also has any turkeys that they do not hunt aroung big rapids I would love to come check out what kind of property you have and I would be pleased if i could get a spot around here to hunt some turkey's.
Thanks

·
Registered
876 Posts
Try the Haymarsh State Game area. 6 miles west of BR. Its crowded during gun deer season but bow hunting is good. Also ducks and grouse.

·
Banned
439 Posts
I know some good areas on tate land in newago and lake county. the hay marsh is good. but it gets hunted so hard during rifle. I found that they are spooky even during bow season. I'm from The baldwin area. bow season is definately the best way to kill a deer in the surrounding areas. very high hunting pressure during rifle season. email me and I'll give you directions to some decent spots.

·
Registered
720 Posts
There's no deer, turkey or ducks in Newago county so move on:p ;)
...been hunting there for 20 years now.
PM me and I'll give you a few tips:)

·
Banned
439 Posts
maybe you should hunt in the woods. I got 2 bucks in newago this year on state land. one on archery and one on muzzle loader. and last year got my turkey on my cousins land. maybe I should show you some spots on your own land!! LOL!!
maybe you;ll get luckey. LOL!!!!!!

·
Registered
720 Posts
It was supposed to be a joke:( oh well.
Our place is 5 miles west of the Haymarsh and have done pretty well over the years.
Plenty of "Mecosta county 11 pointers" ya know, Spikes:p
No complaints about Newago and mecosta state land, it's as good as any in upper michigan.

·
Registered
720 Posts
We've seen some lean years in the Manistee forest but last year was the worst in years for us.
Our group of 4 saw about 6 doe over a 3 day hunt.
We found a pile of 6-8 fresh, doe remains and Newago has'nt had doe permits in years for state land. We're starting to think that this particular area is heavily poached throughout the year:(
But each year is different so we'll see what next year brings back in the Manistee.
We've never taken any monsters up there but feeling of hunting the "big woods" with a rifle just sticks with us.:)

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
I'm between Big Rapids and Baldwin. If I were you, I'd look south or east of BR for deer. Around Morley is pretty good. Also, east of Paris can be decent. It's mostly private land. I think Mecosta county is much better than Newaygo IMHO. But Newaygo has much more public land, if you have no access. But the abundance of public land is also part of Newaygo's problem. Start knocking on doors around Morley right now. I'd clean myself up, dress is your nicest street clothing (I wouldn't suggest camo or any hunting gear) and go by yourself. Don't bring a friend. Then I'd drive around to good looking farms by decent woods or swampy creek bottoms and ask if you can do any manual labor for trade to be able to just bow hunt the December season. Don't ask to rifle hunt. Even then, say you'll just shoot does or whatever the land owner wants. Get your foot in the door. Once the farmer knows you, he'll probably offer to let you hunt in October or November. Closer to late Summer, maybe you can then drop a hint about hunting early season. And then you can also go to his neighbors and say that "Mr. so and so has allowed to to bow hunt for helping him with work, can I do the same for you?". Again, foot in the door. If he says "no" politely say "thank you" anyways. You may also wish to print up a sheet that has your name, address phone number, what your major is, home town etc. Also add that you are a responsible hunter who highest ethics and you obey all game laws and land owner wishes. (Assuming that's the case, otherwise don't even knock on his door because you then ruin it for the rest of us who ask for permission). Hand him, or any landowner you ask, that sheet right off the bat. Also, if he says "no", politely ask if he thinks any other neighbors need a hand with some farm work over the Spring or Summer. Either way, politely thank him for his time. You'll be suprised how much access you can get if you put yourself out and use your head. But don't show up in camo with a couple buddies and ask to hunt prime season for nothing. Make sure the owner knows it's just one clean cut guy that he'll have no trouble with and that you'll do anything to help him. Otherwise, there's nothing in it for him. Also offer lots of the meat that you'll have already packaged for him.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
:D tankhunter i have found that you can shoot more in the woods than you can sitting with the wife on her couch (bucky is a possibility though)

ha ha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts