Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious as to the knives some of you prefer to use on game. There are so many good ones out there that I guess its hard to go wrong. I've been using the Marble's Woodcraft fixed blabe for deer hunting for a couple years now and found that its the sharpest knife I've ever had. I have a couple of Case locking folders that I like for rabbits and other small game, but I just bought the new Buck Alpha Dorado and it looks like it was made for rabbits. Anyone else?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a freind who makes custom knives and sheaths to match, so I use his creations. My favorite for small game is one made from a straight razor with an antler handle and brass bolsters and butt piece. It stays sharp for a long time and is easy to work with.

For deer he has made me one with a gut hook and another with a drop point blade. Both are wonderfully made pieces that I will use as long as I live.

I collect Marbels knives, so I know what you mean about their sharpness.

Best of luck, Arch

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I use a Bark River Woodland. 3" drop point, convex ground A2 steel blade w/micarta slabs. Outstanding knife.

I've also used a Gerber LST Jr., Benchmade Mini Griptilian, and an old Imperial Drop Point Hunter made in the early 70's but still like new.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Knives of Alaska Brown Bear combo with stag grips. Heavy, but built to handle anything. They have a couple newer combos out that are still strong, but a bit lighter, may have to get one of those. Also, Buck Alpha Hunter with the gut hook, did two deer with that this year and worked perfectly, held a pretty good edge as well. Someday I'll add a Marbles or such to the collection.

I also have a couple Remington Grizzly lockbacks that hold a pretty darn good edge for inexpensive knives, but the checkered rubber grips are a nightmare to clean once they fill with fat etc.....not worth the work to use them for field dressign chores anymore.

·
Banned
4,389 Posts
For years I used a Schrade old timer. Then some one gave me a nice bone handled jobber made from an old saw blade. This was stolen along with many hand tools. So, now I use a Buck rubber handled one with a gut hook. I like this one very much. It holds an edge pretty well.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Main knife is good old Buck 110. A little to big but works fine. I picked up a Rapid River Knife Works Skinner model this year, very nice knife, sadley the deer didnt cooperate so i used it on roasts and steaks, works great. :p

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Rapid River (AKA: Wolverine) Droppoint in Northwoods camo. Marbles are junk since they went to mass production about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Up until 3 years ago I used an old WWII marine or army combat knife my brother found with his metal detector in the mid seventies. My wife got me a Smith & Wesson 150th anniversary hunters set that had a bullseye gut hook knife, double blade folding knife, and diamond sharpening tool 3 Christmas's ago. Life has been much easier since then.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I have a marble's 3" caping knife with red bone. Gonna try a rapid river knife out here shortly.

Funny to watch all the marble arm's spinoffs.

Marbles
Wolverine, now rapid river knife
Bark River knife. And the guy that makes these makes blanks for over 50 other companies products.

All within 7 miles of my house. In fact, the manufacturing facility for bark river is in my old commerical building.

·
Premium Member
6,510 Posts
I have several. Boker ceramic blade, Marbles, but I still mainly use my trusty rubber handled Buck. It keeps a good edge and is just the right size for cleaning deer.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have the Boker upland hunter with the gut hook for cleaning birds and love it. For Deer I use the Buck rubber handle w/zipper. (not much need for it the past few years. Bummer.) I also used to have the Cutco similar to the Buck. It was really nice. It is missing in action.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts