Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Depends on the rain and the forecast. A very light drizzle with no heavier rains predicted can be real good, especially on the back end of a cold front. I don't bow hunt in anything resembling a steady rain.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yeah I try not to bowhunt in the rain, not worth it at all.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
I have seen good movement, both bucks and does in a steady but not heavy rain. Heavy rain I would say not to waste your time.

·
Registered
11,206 Posts
Blood trails can sometimes be difficult without any rain to wash them out. I know some guys like hunting in the rain but i feel it greatly diminishes your chances for successful recovery. I don't hunt in the rain.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Blood trails can sometimes be difficult without any rain to wash them out. I know some guys like hunting in the rain but i feel it greatly diminishes your chances for successful recovery. I don't hunt in the rain.
I agree and it also makes for a convenient excuse. I hate hunting in the rain.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I actually love hunting in the rain cuz I always see lots of movement and most other hunters stay home. Just got in from the evening hunt up here in Lake and it was pouring until the last half hour. Saw 9 tonight including a few big state land does. I use one of those big umbrellas that strap around a tree and they are awesome. Modern clothing and an umbrella make hunting in the rain really easy these days.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I agree with lodge lounger,I watch predictions and will bowhunt if very light rain that isn't gonna last.I've had some sparse blood trails without rain,don't want to risk it.
Late season with gun ill take a little more risk with rain.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'll take the rain, especially if its intermittent. Good deer movement and the woods can be really quiet.

·
Premium Member
16,544 Posts
Sometimes I will sit in the rain hoping to wait it out until it stops. Sometimes it stops right before prime time.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I hunt rain and cold fronts mostly. I won't pass up an evening hunt if rain is in the forecast. At least half of my bucks have been taken while it's raining.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Was watching the radar and figured the rain would stop before dark so I went for it. Saw the most deer I've seen so far. Snuck within 50 yards of a group if does feeding before one caught me. I like how quiet it is in the rain. Now I just need to dry out.

·
Premium Member
6,686 Posts
Is it worth it his early in the season?
I don't think it affects the deer much in a rain they will move and had a cpl nice bucks on cam at my stand during daylight on a crappy rainy day last year mid October. But I will choose not to hunt for the chance in losing blood from rain ,to big of a risk in losing the animal imo.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I won't bow hunt in a steady rain, not worth the risk of loosing the blood trail if I did get a shot off. Now I'll hunt in drizzle.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
My preference is to not shoot a deer with rain and nightfall in the immediate forecast. I'll take one or the other but not both.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
I won't bow hunt in a steady rain, not worth the risk of loosing the blood trail if I did get a shot off. Now I'll hunt in drizzle.
Will you gun hunt in the rain?

The reason I ask is because my blood trails during bow season are usually better than during gun season.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts